Author Topic: Kirkland foods?  (Read 4017 times)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Kirkland foods?
« on: November 02, 2006, 03:17:10 am »
Sadie and Riley still have slightly loose stool on Natural Balance. I've switched them from the regular formula (blue bag) to the duck and potato. Same result. I've been thinking about trying the Kirklands brand. I've purchased the treats for them before, and they loved them. I was surprised to read the label on the food and find out that it looks pretty healthy. Then I saw it on someone's grading chart that was posted here, and it did really well. I prefer to buy from a local shop, but I've been considering giving this one a go. I have to say that going from $43.99 a bag to less than half that (every two weeks) is tempting, but it makes me wonder if it's any good... It's an option I haven't tried, though.

Anyone here have experience with it or opinions about it?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 03:43:21 am by macybean »

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkland foods?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 03:22:18 am »
I feed Angus Kirkland Lamb and Rice and really have no problems. He has his bouts of runny poo, but that usually happens if he gets into something else. Looking for food here is a pain in the a double s, and the Kirkland brand is used by one of the Newf breeders here.

AC

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 03:38:15 am »
I have recently started thinking about this too.  I am not all that happy with the food I have Bella on right now (Eagle Pack Giant Breed Puppy).  I have done some research, including requesting from Diamond (manufacturer) a more complete list of totals.  I read on a forum that it was a medium quality food. That it's better than anything you can get at the grocery store or Petsmart, but that it still doesn't compare to the premium foods like Wellness, Timerwolf, etc.  His reasoning (he has his own dog nutrition site) was that the quality of ingredients they put in aren't as good, even though they're the same as what you'll find in premium grade. THe other thing I noticed is that it doesn't have any prebiotics/probiotics.  I still know of a lot of people who have had great success with it, so I think I'm going to try it becuase the life of a single Mom doen't allow for much "premium" anything! 
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 05:09:58 am »
My parents have fed their white GSD, Jake, Kirkland his whole life, and he is one healthy dog. Great coat and condition, no pooper problems. I know that he isn't exactly a giant-breed, but, he's about to turn 7 and is still as healthy as a pup.

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 07:31:08 am »
I had to make the switch from Canidae to Kirkland (going through a 40lbs bag every two weeks at almost $70 a bag :'() we have had no troubles on it = nice stool. Libby eats around 5/6 cups a day and she seems full. Hoover is also eating it as well and for a senior (I think he looks pretty darn good)
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 07:40:56 am »
I am glad to hear all this! I am going to make the switch too, mostly for cost reasons. It's good to hear that so many people have had good results on it!  Thank you Macybean for posting this topic!  :)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 09:01:24 am »
My three boneheads have been on this food for over a year now. We started with Lamb and Rice, but their stools were awful, so we switched to the Chicken and Rice. Much better, and they really like the food. Also, as someone else mentioned, they all have great coats, and their breath doesn't stink.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA