Author Topic: Lucah's food update, please offer suggestions  (Read 7889 times)

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
Lucah's food update, please offer suggestions
« on: November 20, 2006, 05:36:42 pm »
I don't know what it is but it seems as if Lucah's food isn't agreeing with him.  He seems to have very soft stool a couple of times a day and has a lot of gas.  We have elevated his food bowl and have him on Innova large breed puppy (LBP)  which is primarliy chicken and turkey.

We are thinking of swtching his food.  We had him on Solid Gold Wolf Cub and now on Innova LBP.  Any suggestions?

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Lucah's food update, please offer suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 06:32:02 pm »
We had the same problem with Duke(5 months) and we did exactly what Tina said..switched him to adult. we just did it a couple of days ago so unfortunately I can't tell you much yet.
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 03:42:24 pm »
I'm not positive, but I wonder if you could switch him to the adult Innova.  I believe the protein and fat levels are within the range appropriate for pups.  I wonder if there is too much fat in the puppy formula for Lucah?  How old is he now?

I'm sure our more food knowledgeable members will have the answers for you.

Good luck.

Tina

Lucah is almost 6 months old. We are researching and may go with Natural Balance...but we have to look into this pumpkin thing.

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 03:56:42 pm »
A couple of questions for you.  How long has he been on this food?   How long has he had gas/loose stools?  Does he get any other treats or chewies at all?  Has he had any vaccines or medications within the last month?  Has he been to any public areas lately?  Has he had encounters with other dogs?

There are so many things that can cause loose stools, and food is only one of them.  Before switching, I would try a few other things first, because switching itself can cause runny poops and you won't be able to pin it down.  Switching formulas within brands would have less of a runny poop effect, because the basic ingredients are likely to be from identical sources, so the differences are less of a shock to the intestines. 

I've never used the LBP, so I can't tell you from experience about any problems with it.  We started our pup on Innova Adult (not Large Breed Adult) before the Large Breed line came out. We have had such success with her on it that we decided not to switch when the new product came out.  The puppy food actually has less fat in it, not more, so too much fat likely isn't the problem.

Two of my dogs have had runny poops lately, one right after the other, and they are on different foods (Lucy, the pup, is on Innova Adult, and Mattie, the adult, is on Innova Evo), so we didn't suspect the food.  Given the sudden onset of Mattie's unpleasantness, I suspect she either ate something nasty in the yard or contracted some sort of stomach virus.  We also had a foster dog here for a few days about two weeks before.  Anyway, after the second day, we fasted her for a day then started her on some pumpkin in her food.  The poops were firming in another day and solid in two more days.  This was about the time Lucy's runny poops started.  She could have eaten the same nastiness in the yard or caught something from Mattie or the foster dog.  She also could have been having problems from an antibiotic she was on a couple of weeks ago.  So, we started her on pumpkin and yogurt in her food--the pumpkin just to firm up the stool, and the yogurt to restore her intestinal flora.  After three days, we had decent poops again.

Our long-term foster, Elli, came to us with what was termed "chronic diarrhea" and she was being fed a prescription diet that was clearly not working.  We switched her cold turkey to Innova Adult and added pumpkin to her food.  Within a couple of days her liquid poops had form to them, and within a week and a half they were firm.  We weaned her slowly from the pumpkin, and she has had firm stools ever since (about six weeks now).

So, first consider all the possible reasons for the runny poops.  If you eliminate other possible causes and the poops persist, consider switching him to the Adult (green bag) formula before switching brands altogether.  Innova is a very good food and I have yet to have a problem with it, even with any of the many fosters I have switched to it cold turkey.  On the other hand, it just may not be a good match for Lucah's needs.  But since it seems to work for most dogs so well, and because switches can cause their own problems, I would work hard to eliminate other possible causes first.

Different dogs respond differently to things in their food and in their environment.  We gave Lucy a bully stick once--just a little piece of one--and she had nasty gas for a week!  Buddy eats them with no problem.  Good luck getting to the bottom of Lucah's issues!

We e switched him to the Innova about 2 months ago.  He started out really great and it was an improvement from the Solid Gold we were giving him, so naturally we thought he was gonna do fine.  About 1 month ago he started having the loose stools, maybe once a day.  Lately it has become more and more. 

As for treets we give him biscuits that are fairly natural and simple, and he gets pieces of a Natural Balance meat log thingy. We don't think he's getting into anything, but we will keep an eye on him.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 01:30:25 pm »
A lot of what I have read regarding Giant breed pups is that the puppy food has to much protien and adult food is suggested.  Mostly bcause you want their growth to be slow so the joints aren't over stressed.  Not sure this would cause the loos stools though.  But I do agree with Tina about switching to adult food.  Also for loose stools giving a can of pumpkin (not the pie mix) will help firm up the stools.

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
Re: Lucah's food update, please offer suggestions UPDATE!!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »
We tried the pumpkin thing and man does it work.  We get way better consistancy and frimness.  It really helps.  We are transitioning out to a new food, but pumpkin will be a constant in his diet for now on.