Author Topic: Help with chicken killer  (Read 9243 times)

Offline sandyscheve

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help with chicken killer
« on: March 21, 2005, 08:29:59 pm »
Thanks for replying.  Becky and a five month Pyrenees (female also) are ALWAYS with their goats.  The only time they are not is when we take them to the vet.  She is fine when we do that.  She comes when called and knows the "sit" command.  She is wonderful with her goats.
Anything else you need to know?  Thanks again for replying!
                                  Sandy

awo

Re: Help with chicken killer
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 08:42:55 pm »
Thanks for replying.  Becky and a five month Pyrenees (female also) are ALWAYS with their goats.  The only time they are not is when we take them to the vet.  She is fine when we do that.  She comes when called and knows the "sit" command.  She is wonderful with her goats.
Anything else you need to know?  Thanks again for replying!
                                  Sandy
 Hello Sandy,
     Well, by your response it appears that your new pyrn is an outside dog that protects the goats with a playmate.  If what you have provided me with is correct, then here is what might be causing the problem.   Your two dogs are guarding the goats.  If the hens are flying into their territory then that is why the one dog is killing the hens, being a puppy he might not know the difference as the other one does.  You need, like I said before, is to introduce the little one to the hens and let the dog know that it is okay for the hen to fly into their territory.  I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, please ask and I hope this helps.

awo

Offline dawn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Help with chicken killer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 07:52:02 pm »

well , don't know if this will help or not, but i had a wolf/mal/husky x ( i know!) n she did the same thing. once they get the tast for blood it's pretty had to get them to stop, if you can get them to stop ever. not just my wolf x, but any dog. my girl i had to chain up for about 5-6 months, only when she was outside by herself, if i was out there with her she would stay home (was my neighbors chickens she was killing!) she would listen to me n know she wasn't supposed to go over and do that, but left alone,.......anywas, keeping on her- everytime she'd look over in that direction (neighbors) i'd tell her "no" or "stay" & chaining her when i wasn't outside with her (she hated that) eventually it did make a difference, but if one ran infront of her or got too close,.....well, didn't end-up so good for the chicken!  i hope this helps you out it worked for me.  good luck