Author Topic: hyper help  (Read 2815 times)

Offline sisdew

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
hyper help
« on: November 21, 2006, 06:12:39 am »
Any suggestions on how to get through to a dog when they are going crazy.  Jumping , bouncing, just completely nuts.  When he gets like that a spray bottle is useless.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: hyper help
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 06:22:16 am »
Take him for a walk.
Do obedience work with him.
Play ball with him.
Take him out for a romp.

Offline sisdew

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 06:58:33 am »
Tried all above, can't walk him when he's like that working on training.  Need to get his attention, spray bottles aren't working

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 07:05:05 am »
What kind of a dog is he? Is he contained prior to working with him? What type of exercise does he get on a regular basis. My dogs also get extremely hyper at times, however once they have had the opportunity to run off some of that energy, we actually accomplish some of our goals in the training session. Some dogs are more likely to be more hyper than others- maybe consult with a trainer that is familiar with your dogs breed.

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 07:22:29 am »
We have a weimaraner and a vizsla...you don't have to explain hyper to me...hahahah ;)

Our weim is only 10 months old...when she gets in one of "those" moods....I find the best way to get her attention is to get some of her favorite treats, one she goes nuts about. Hers happens to be rollover. Many dogs like liver.. That gets her attention and she forgets about being all crazy and focuses on the treat.  She has now got to the point where she will automatically sit when she hears the treat jar. Before that I would just shake the container and she would come over and focus on that.

Good Luck...I can relate to your "pain"... ;)

Offline sisdew

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 11:50:36 am »
Got just under a year old malamute mix, I know they are a sturborn dog.  Only had him 4 days, got him from the pound.
We try to do the leash 3 or 4 times a day, he has a 25 ft chain, and is in training for the underground fence.  We play with a fresbie and toss toys for him and try to wear him out.
The trainer was here today for the fence and he was terrible with her, but I'm not sure she handled him right.  When I took him he was a little better but still hyper.
Just found a trainer about 45 min from here. emailed her and waitin for a reply.  Hoping she can come to the house for the first couple of times and see his behaviour.

Will try the treats, he does sit for a treat it may be just enough to get him attention and get him to settle down.
Thanks will let ya know if it works

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 11:46:42 pm »
i swear by dog parks! take him while he is in a quiet mood, so he doesn't do anything rash. then let him run and run and run and run.

another idea is to get a treadmill. be very very very carefull and watch full while the dog is on it! start by tossing treas onto it with it off, then have him stand on it, and slowly work up to turning it on. if he is scared when it turns on (start at a slow speed) start from scratch. also, so he gets used to the noise, turn it on while he eats near it.

hope this helps!
Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 01:10:11 am »
Stress can cause over activity and it is common to see this displayed by shelter/rescue dogs for the first 2 weeks in a new home.
 Since hes a Mal x running is in his blood. Have you thought of buying a springer to hook to your bike? Biking or rollerblading a dog can releases alot of energy in a short amount of time.