Author Topic: Me and Rocco vs 'The Girls'  (Read 4342 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Me and Rocco vs 'The Girls'
« on: June 30, 2005, 06:13:39 am »
I am dogsitting a friend's two dogs for 4 days.  Harley is a 2.5 year old female chow mix, Zoe is a female 4 months old lab mix.  As you know I have Rocco 2.5 year old Newf/Rott mix and Maia 14 month old OEM.  Well, Harley hates my dogs, Maia hates Harley, Rocco and Zoe love everyone.
9 pm
I got everything under control last night, Maia was feed, let out and put to bed in the dog room in her cage.  Harley and Zoe were let out and put to bed in plastic kennels in the kitchen.  Rocco hangs with me.
11:30 pm
Harley and Zoe are still barking and howling like they have been doing since they were put in the cage.  I have two sleeping pills in me and Rocco is restless. 
6:30 am
Rocco and I get up let Maia out with Rocco to go potty.  We let Zoe out too since she is good and loving.  I get Maia and Rocco in feed them and put them in their room for a few minutes.  I go to let Harley out of her cage and she gets excited.  I open the cage door and she just backs into the corner and won't come out.  I bribe, I beg, I leave the room, finally I went to close the cage and she lunges.  Now I am worried.
What do I do you ask???
I dragged the whole damn cage outside and opened out there. 
What does she do???
She comes out and runs up to me and licks me.
7am
Harley and Zoe back in their cages.  Rocco and Maia out to go potty.  I have managed a quick shower and look decent for work.  Harley won't eat so she gets another chance when I get home.  Everyone in their cages in their rooms (kitchen and dog room) and I'm out.
By this time, I am stressed out, cranky, and sweaty from all the moving and shaking.
7:30am
On the road to work.  I really don't look forward to going home today.  I know it would be a pipe dream to think Maia and Harley will ever get along as they both have minor dog issues. 

What can I do to get Harley more comfortable with me so I don't risk getting bit? 
I am watching 3 young kids all night on Friday, do you think I am awful if I put Harley in my indoor outdoor kennel/shed Friday morning and leave her there until Saturday after the kids go home.  My dad says I have to put the kids, myself and my dogs first and that she will be fine.  It is hot here though.

Harley is not a mean dog by any means she is just scared, I don't think she has ever stayed somewhere without her family.  I don't want her to be stressed but I also don't want to be stressed.

I need advice ??? ???
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Me and Rocco vs 'The Girls'
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 08:47:34 am »
I'll spend some one on one with Harley tonight and see I can't earn her trust so that this weekend isn't miserable for us all.
Thanks,

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 06:42:05 am »
Last night, was a lot smoother than yesterday morning.  I have the dog outside/cage time/feeding rotation down now.  I spent about half an hour outside with Harley and Zoe, so I have a solid foundation to build Harley's trust.  Though she snarled at me this morning when I came into the kitchen like she didn't have a clue who I was but once I opened the cage she was fine.  I think she just guards her territory. 
I can now safely put Rocco, Harley and Zoe out together or Rocco, Maia, and Zoe out together.  I only leave my guys or the other guys alone out together.  I'm getting the hang of this.  Hopefully it won't be raining again tonight so that my kitchen floor will actually stay clean.  But that would be way too easy.

Thanks for the advice it seemed to work.  ;D
Thanks,

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 01:41:59 pm »
Wish me luck, I am headed home to face the gang.  Hopefully, Harley remembers me fondly today. 
Thanks,

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 07:43:48 am »
Maia and Harley definately hate each other.  Whenever Harley sees Maia her hair goes up and she barks constantly.  I managed not to let them touch at all this whole weekend.  I am very proud of myself for that.  Harley also was growling at my neighbor kids through the fence.  So she got to spend all her outside time in the indoor/outdoor pen.  Maia can't wait to have everyone go home and it just be me, her, and Rocco.  This week will be the first time in months that I have not had a foster dog or been watching someones dogs. 
Since I am putting my house on the market, it will just be us for a few months.  Then I'll be in Chicago and my friend up there who will probably live with me will be getting a new puppy.  I have at least 2 months on just us time to look forward to.  I'm excited, if Maia just knew what she had coming, she is going to get tired of me doting on them but I'll love it.
Thanks,

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 11:52:27 am »
Hey, Greek! How cool you're going to be in Chicago. I live real close to Chi-town. Maybe we can have a dog get together. (Course, you're going to be wanting to spend time with just yours for awhile, I'm sure!)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 11:54:32 am »
Sure, we can get together.  Maia won't mind as long as you don't try to get in her cage.  I'm aiming to find a house between Downer's Grove (that is where my office will be) and downtown.  Where do you live?  My guys love to play with other dogs they just don't like when the other dogs stay for days at a time. 
Thanks,

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 11:58:23 am »
I live in Michigan City, IN. Its about 45 miles from Chicago. But, I live right by the South Shore station. The South Shore is the commuter rail line. Its great. I can just hop on and be in the City in an hour. No parking hassles or anything.

Actually, its funny. Cabeza likes other dogs, but, he doesn't really play. He honestly believes that he's a person and "they" are dogs. But, he likes to hang out with them. He just watches other dogs play.