Author Topic: I'm getting my new horse!!!!!!  (Read 5938 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I'm getting my new horse!!!!!!
« on: November 27, 2006, 08:40:56 pm »
I just got a chestnut Belgian/ Appendix cross gelding.  He's only 2 and already over 16h  :o.  He has the best personality though.  He is very aware of your space and a complete puppy dog.  So pending a flexion test and coggins he'll be minee!!!  He's hopefully coming home Saturday but he's in southern PA (8 miles from maryland so it's going to be a long drive).  Here's some pics of Frozen Assets aka Fire.

Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: I'm getting my new horse!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 08:55:58 pm »
NICE!!!

I love the part drafties - they have so much bone! (thinking of breeding my Mojo to a fresian cross next yr!)

He's gorgeous!  Hope he passes final inspection!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 09:51:18 pm »
OH, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully you'll have a new horse by this weekend!!!  That's so exciting, he's gorgeous and HUGE! 

Kirsti

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 10:27:14 pm »
Oh wow! that is exciting! What a great looking horse, 16 hands wow! Best of luck!

~K

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 10:55:18 pm »
HA HA HA!!!!  The first thing I said to myself was "boy that is a really short man" and then I read your post.  No wonder he seems so short.  16h's?  WOW!!!!!  :o  That's alot of horse..  He's so pretty!!!  Good luck.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 11:09:06 pm »
He is beautiful - I am so JELLO - I want one so bad!  We have all kinds of rescues here

chaosndestruction

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 11:39:19 pm »
I'm soooo jealous!!! He's just goregeous! :o I'm trying to find my little colt a new home so I can breed my paint mare to a clydesdale<3 I really want a spotted draft!!!!

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 02:33:30 am »
Wow!  He's a looker!  Congrats!  What do you plan on doing with him? 
Daphne

Kirsti

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 02:37:06 am »
I'm soooo jealous!!! He's just goregeous! :o I'm trying to find my little colt a new home so I can breed my paint mare to a clydesdale<3 I really want a spotted draft!!!!

Oh My gosh! That would be soo cute!! You have to deffenitly post pictures of that new one....

btw if I had room, I would so take your colt.

~K

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Short dogs, but big paws :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 04:52:52 am »
Absolutely stunning!!!
Short dogs Big paws

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 06:25:12 am »
Congratulation s , he's gorgeous !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 08:03:26 am »

Wouldnt that put your paint mare at risk?  I have seen it done the other way around, but never such a small mare with such a large stallion.

Sorry to thread jack.
I don't mind at all! It's always fun to talk horses.

Fire's mom was an appendix and not that big. When I was looking I saw a bunch of draft crosses out of TB or Paint mares.  So I guess it's not too big of a problem.  I know the Clyde crosses are gorgeous I especially like the tb/Clyde cross.  The main thing to watch for is to try to look for a Clyde with good proportions so you don't end up with a huge body on short legs....one of the Perch Paint mares I saw had that problem.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 02:01:43 am »
such a beauty....cong ratulations!

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 02:27:47 am »
I've seen/ridden TB/draft crosses before.  My last baby Shania was a TB/Draft and massive just like your new boy.  I just think a paint..usually just over 14 hands, would have a tough time with a 19+ hand stallion.

Would it have to be a live cover? Or could you do AI?
Your new boy is VERY flashy, hard to tell from a pic but he looks like a nice mover(would love to see a video)Hope everything goes well with his final testing. Does your mare have colour? Does she throw colour? I think its a gamble either way you look at it, if you had a heavy mare and bred to a smaller stallion, you could still end up with a short legged thick horse/pony without colour.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

chaosndestruction

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 03:34:33 am »

Wouldnt that put your paint mare at risk?  I have seen it done the other way around, but never such a small mare with such a large stallion.

Sorry to thread jack.
I don't mind at all! It's always fun to talk horses.

Fire's mom was an appendix and not that big. When I was looking I saw a bunch of draft crosses out of TB or Paint mares.  So I guess it's not too big of a problem.  I know the Clyde crosses are gorgeous I especially like the tb/Clyde cross.  The main thing to watch for is to try to look for a Clyde with good proportions so you don't end up with a huge body on short legs....one of the Perch Paint mares I saw had that problem.

I've seen/ridden TB/draft crosses before.  My last baby Shania was a TB/Draft and massive just like your new boy.  I just think a paint..usually just over 14 hands, would have a tough time with a 19+ hand stallion.

My mare is 15.3 and quite stocky. The stallion I have picked out is just over 17 hands. A lot of warmbloods/spotted drafts are bred with the dam being smaller and the sires being larger. it would be live cover. I don't like AI. She throws nice big babies with good conformation and hasn't had trouble yet. She practically shot Finn out! No bruising or tearing!

Here's a pic of my mare. She's definately got a lot of color. The colt is Finnigan he's the one I need to find a new home for.

oh sorry for thread jacking! oops! I guess it was originally my fault!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 03:36:21 am by chaosndestruction »