Author Topic: I got my bell...now what? Please advise.  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
I got my bell...now what? Please advise.
« on: November 30, 2006, 04:05:32 am »
I just got a cow bell in the mail today.  I want to train Lucah to ring it when he has to go out.  Does anyone use this technique?  How did you get your pup to do this?

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: I got my bell...now what? Please advise.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:45:18 am »
Hey there.  I actually asked that questions too.  I was told to use the puppies foot to actually ring the bell and then go outside to let them do their business.  Do the basic potty praise ritual as usual and repeat.  I'm going to try the same thing with Gracie.  I'll let you know how it works for her.  So hey how is Lucah doing?
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 05:33:58 am »
I am interested in seeing how this works out for you guys. I tried doing it with Farley but he damaged the bell ::) Then I gave up.... I need something for Rosie to tell mne when she has to go out...she just stands there looking at the door like it will open b/c she has to pee. ::)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 05:43:04 am »
please do keep us updated!  it would be so neat if this worked!!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 06:06:03 am »
Yea i know how you use it.  all my dogs ring bells to go outside.  (you might need a clicker trainre for this though that is how i did it.)

You put the bell as low as the puppy.  Now everytime you are about to take him out walk him past the bell so his body touches it.  As soon as it makes a noise open up the door and let him outside.  At first he wont notice but after a couple of days doing this he will catch on.  Also everytime you open up that door the bell will ring so the dog will associate that door opening with that bell ringing. 
  Now when the dog catches on he might go and start "playing"  with the bell if he rings it make him go outside even if for a second so that way he realizes "Oh if I ring it I have to go outside"
Hope that helps you out!!! ;D
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel