Author Topic: axle bit me  (Read 10542 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
axle bit me
« on: December 01, 2006, 07:18:01 am »
ok, so i go to the store, and come back then as normal i put the dogs out.  axle got his paw stuck in between the boards of our porch (i don't know how he got his 2-3 inch pad stuck in a 1 1/2 inch space) and was flipping out, he twisted his leg and was going to break it with his flipping.  when i saw that, as STUPID as i was, i tried to grab his butt to push him the other way to keep him from breaking something, and when i did he took my whole forearm in his mouth and bit me, breaking skin.  he's never bit, and i know he didn't mean it, he was just hurting, but i've never been bit by a dog, so now i'm nervous around him even though i'm trying not to be and he knows he hurt me, so he's really jumpy around me, too.  has anybody had this happen, and how did you handle everyone being so jumpy / nervous after the accident?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: axle bit me
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 07:26:46 am »
First off let me say I'm so sorry that you got bit and I hope both you and Axle are okay.  I've never been bitten by one of my dogs but I have been bitten by one of my cats before.  I have also been bitten by a couple of different animals at work.  What I do is take some time and remove myself from the animal for a while even after cleaning the wound.  That way it gives me time to settle down and the adrenaline to wear off and the same for the animal.  Then I try and act like nothing ever happened but I definitely continue to monitor the animal for awhile.  It's hard to relax at first because you will keep replaying that event in your head but you have to try and keep your feelings muted for both you and the animal to be comfortable with each other again.  Distancing myself from my fear and feelings helps.  This is only what has worked for me though.  I hope you feel better soon.   
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 07:48:53 am »
porch is actually on our to do list for this weekend, hubby and i both agreed when i called him it is getting done NOW.  i'm definitely going to redo his obedience, i know he was sorry now b/c i just let him inside after a "calm down" period and he did a "woo whooo wuff" (aka, "i'm sorry mom") and gave me a kiss, which made me feel a lot better.  i appreciate both of your advice, it's nice to have good advice and not the "you need to get rid of him" my parents would have given.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 07:53:54 am »
A very similar thing happened to me a long time ago. I was bitten by one of my Siberian Huskies when she was tangled up in her tie-out cable. I was trying to get her untangled and the cable must have squeezed her somehow (she was all wrapped up in it) so when she felt pain she just lashed out and bit whatever was in front of her face-- my arm.

Honestly I didn't hold it against her at all, I knew she did it because she was hurting. I didn't take it personally, and I just got her untangled, and went and took care of my bite with some ice. After I took her back up to the house everything was normal again and our relationship didn't seem to change one bit. I don't even think she really knew that she had bitten me.

I hope you can come to terms with your dog really soon. I'm sure Axle never meant to hurt you. :)

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 08:00:27 am »
Definitly put an ointment on...but be forwarned my pup is allergic to bacatracin...s o do be careful
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 08:09:16 am »
axle's foot is good, some of his hair got pulled out from between his pads so it's red and irritated, but not bleeding.  i think he's sincerely sorry, he keeps pushing the other dogs away from me and "whoofing" at me, nudging my side.  i'm glad he's not as upset as he was when i first brought him in, he was acting like a lunatic he was so nervous.  the bad part about it is now he's going to have a hard time, because no matter what i say, my dad was on the phone and is only going to relay / point out what he heard.  :(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 08:11:29 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 12:05:44 am »
Sorry to hear about that whole scene.  What great advice!  The only thing I have to say is watch your bite.  Puncture wounds can look like they are no big deal but get infected really easily. When was your last tetnus shot?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 12:12:02 am »
um.. *ahem*... in elementary school (i flip out and have panic attacks so i avoid them)  mom is coming up this week (nurse) and is going to check them, or if they look weird i'll go to the dr.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 12:38:04 am »
I too would recommend a tetanus shot.  Although very rare it can happen and it can be fatal.  Most people think of tetanus and think of something rusty but the real problem is a puncture wound that is not as easy to clean and can be contaminated with feces, soil, or saliva.  Immunization is your best defense and the good news is you only have to have one every 10 years.

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 12:39:18 am »
Forgot to say.... I'm sorry this happened and hope you and Axle will be back to normal soon.

Offline choppersmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 03:08:08 pm »
My brothers dog bit me once. I was trying to break up a fight and he accidently got my arm. When he saw I was bleeding he ran and hid in the closet. I knew it was my fault and he didn't intend to bite me so I went in the closet to calm him down. I think that was very good for both of us because had I avoided him for days I think we would have both been on edge. This way it was just kind of over and he lived with me for another 6 months with out incident.

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 03:21:57 pm »
Axle didn't mean it, but I'm sure it still hurt....:*S  My hubby got seriously bit one time by his malamute...... .when hot dog latched on (a reaction to being attacked by another dog and my hubby trying to pull hotdog back) he gave the "OH S$%#, WHAT DID I DO" look and was totally sorry.  Axle was probably flailing like a drowning man and you know what happens when one tries to rescue a drowning person.... 

I hope the bite wasn't too bad! 
karma is kewl!

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 05:21:08 pm »
Tani bit me once when we were playing tug o war. She lunged for the tug rope, but it had swung to the side and she got my arm. It was a total accident, obviously, and she was oblivious because she was caught up in the game. It hurt like nothing else, though!!! Unbelievable how much that hurt - both at the time she did it and for days after! I don't need to tell you that Axle didn't mean it - but I do feel for ya! Sorry to say, I agree with the tetanus shot thing. Take it easy!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 07:04:34 pm »
Oh my i am glad you both are alright he sorry he bit mama he was scared! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats