Author Topic: What would cause flaky skin on just the tail?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
What would cause flaky skin on just the tail?
« on: June 30, 2005, 08:17:30 pm »
A few days ago I was looking at Zoey's tail up close and noticed that it is covered in scales. When I touch it too look up close, she flinches and tries to nip at my hand, so obviously it is uncomfortable for her. The best description I could give is that it looks as if someone sprinkled cornmeal  on the skin of her tail. But it's just her tail. Besides this, her skin looks good and her fur is soft and shiny.

I am trying to figure out what possible causes there could be for her tail issue. We did switch her food a month or so ago, but I assume that if that was the cause she would have this all over and not just on the tail. She gets frontline regularly, so I don't think it could be a flea allergy. I spend time each day grooming her and have never seen any traces of insects or parasites, and again I would think that if that is the problem it would be all over and not just the tail. Her puppy-daddy thinks that we must have missed rinsing off all the shampoo off her tail during her last bath (probably about a month ago) and that it dried the skin out. Would that cause such flaky skin? Does anyone know what else could cause this?

RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: What would cause flaky skin on just the tail?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 08:37:36 pm »
Poor Zoey! She is too cute to have problems. I am not sure but it sounds as if she has dandruff. Bear gets that on skin after a bath regardless of the amount or type of shampoo we have used. Good luck on finding out the cause. We are having Bear tested for allergies nest week beause he has very sensitive skin.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: What would cause flaky skin on just the tail?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 01:12:20 am »
Poor baby, it is always complicated with skin issues. Could be so many things, but if you are rather sure she has not had fleas it is most likely not flea derm. could be contact derm. but doesnt really sound like that either. And the food, if there is an allergy, most probably an allergy towards the protein in the food, that usually dont do the tail, you see that commonly between pads and toes to start with. I guess it could be that you didnt rinse enough, mind you most dogs if the shampoo isnt rinsed off properly, would have problems sooner than a month after the bath. So a little puzzled here.

One thing that comes to mind, is thyroid. Where on the tail is the scab and have you had a thyroid panel drawn on her ever??
Does it look like it itches? if so you could always as a first aid get an anti itch spray and spray with, but if it is so she snappes after you, it sounds like she is really bothered by it, I would probably make an app with my vet. or at least call them and discuss the issue and see what they have to say.

Good Luck and give poor Zoey a kiss from me and keep us posted

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog