Author Topic: My Newf won't swim  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Bigdog5537

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
My Newf won't swim
« on: December 04, 2006, 02:15:33 am »
Hi, I have a 3 yr. old newfoundland named Buddy.  Buddy was never in water as a puppy. Last summer I brought Buddy out to a lake house of a friend of mine and Buddy would only go into the water as far as he could stand. I tried getting him in the water from the dock and he wouldn't jump in. I tried pushing him in and then he runs away and won't allow that again.  I thought Newfoundlands instinctually love the water.  Does any one know what's the matter.  Maybe, it's something I did in training.  Or, does any one have training tips to get him in the water.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: My Newf won't swim
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 02:40:02 am »
Newfs are individuals and some will adore swimming and some can't stand it.  My Landseer, Cowboy will do just what Buddy does....stands in the water and just cruises the shore line.  He is epileptic and had his first couple of seizures in the water and almost drowned, so it's understandable

There's a couple of things you can do.  First, you could contact your local Newf Club and they have water training classes every summer.  Or, go slowly...and make it fun.  There's a wonderful book by a woman named Judy Adler who is an expert in water training.  Here's the info:

"Newfoundland Puppy: Early Care, Training", by Judy Adler
Judy Adler
12320 S. W. Malloy Way,
Sherwood, Oregon 97140
Cost: $26.00 (including shipping)
(503)682-0604
sweetbay@teleport.com

Good luck!!

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 03:09:05 am »
I have had four Newfs, and only one of them swam like a fish when they first went into water.

I have an old Newf, Molly, who was 10 this summer. She only decided this year that she liked water and now she will swim whenever she can, and she is a bugger to get out of water!

My second Newf, Bronte, was the one who always swam like a fish. Sadly she is no longer with us.

Then I have Honey, she can swim, she has been out to "rescue" my daughter. But she isn't that bothered about water... Other than playing in it!

And then their is Kitten, the only male and a complete wuss. We have managed to get him to swim a couple of times, but he starts to panic once he realises his feet are off the floor. The one time he did swim it was just to get to his sister Honey, who was on the bank of the lake, and Kitten jumped out of the boat and swam to her... We were actually hoping that she would swim out to the boat!

I just leave them to it, if they want to swim they can, if they don't want to then it is up to them!
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline Bigdog5537

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:13:55 am »
Thanks, for your reply. The thing I can't figure out is that Buddy learned all of his basic commands almost instantly and training him on anything is a breeze.  He knows that I want him to go in the water and refuses, however I think he's scared.  Most likely from lack of being around water. Since, newfs really don't fetch, and he won't swim to me, and really won't get near me when we are near water since I pushed him in last time. I have nothing to entice him into the water. I feel like he's missing out and if he gets over his fear he would really like it.

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 03:26:36 am »
Arkyd didn't like the waves when he was a pup we took him to a smaller lake inland and he was swimming like a champ
but then again we did have him with the swimaholic jack russel
which helped him because he just followed him straight in

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 03:29:34 am »
He needs his confidence building. May be you could get him a paddling pool for the garden and let him play in that. I wouldn't try and get him in any lakes or anything for a while.

Is he a gluten for food? If he is try taking some tasty treats out with you when you are visiting water, and if he gets close to getting his feet wet give him some treats and tell him how clever he is. Or encourage him to the waters edge with treats.... But don't try and get him in the water for a while.
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte