Author Topic: Why is this?  (Read 4510 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Why is this?
« on: July 01, 2005, 12:40:49 am »
When Samson eats he eats a little & then walks out into the other room,
comes back to his dish, eats a little, & so on & so forth...It's
continuous though...Like he's walking a track...Why does he do
this?..Any reason or is he just warped?..lol!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Why is this?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 12:49:22 am »
hmmmm maybe people will try to analyze this behavior but I find it kinda funny.  Hey, just like people, dogs are all different and do things their own way ;D  That is my thought if it is worth anything.  You gotta admit, it is interesting.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 12:50:12 am »
I have no idea gyp. maybe he is checking so everything is okay, and nothing is out of wack, so he can eat in piece lol....

Zeus, does a silly thing when he eats too. He waits until the other have ate, just sits there by his bowl, and when they are done, he lays down right next to it, and after awhile he starts to slowly eat, almost as of saying nananana I have food left and you dont.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Tabby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 03:34:27 pm »
Mike always has to get his vitamin and I have to say "eat" before he'll start on his kibble.  And several times a week he will not eat at all unless I hand feed him.  Now, he is willing to work (tricks) for the food no problem, so long as I hand feed it. 
Tabby

nickerbokker

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 05:18:25 pm »
well.  i put my dog food in the bowls and cody and angus eat it faster than lightning.  im not kidding, its TERRIBLE.  they act as if they never get fed!  jaba saw it, she can tell you!  i feed them both8-10 cups a day and the darned dogs still eat like they haven't ever gotten food in their lives.  its so sad.

gyp, consider yourself lucky.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 10:25:36 am »
LOL Nicker!...I can picture it!...Of coarse, Angus is only doing it because he is afraid Cody will gobble up all his food...lol!

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 04:17:21 pm »
Nah, Blizzard wont leave the bowl , even when she is done eating. Once it's gone,she curls up to sleep and wait for the next meal right next to the bowl. The cat strolls by and she'll peek open one eye and grumble at him.

I caught her once, with her nose in 40lb bag of Natural Choice... SLEEPING!!!
I had forgotten to put the rest in the large plastic ben and seal it up after I fed her. That'll teach me.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 04:29:46 pm »
Cabo used to do the thing where he would bring a bite away from the bowl to eat it - I could never figure out why...

I also knew a dog that, when fed, would pick up his entire full foodbowl by one edge and run away into the bushes (he was fed outside).  As he would run, the food would be spilling out of the bowl.  By the time he got to the edge of the patio, the bowl would be empty and there would be a trail of food going from the door to the bushes.  He would then eat his way back to the door!

I once asked why they didn't just feed him in the bushes, if that is where he was trying to go, and they said they tried it.  He just did the same thing in reverse...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

BabsT

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 03:41:52 am »
That is your dog protecting its food source....just like a wild wolf or wild dog they might take a leg off the kill and move to a different location to 'ensure' that they infact can eat

GR8DAME

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 07:56:59 am »
Raven does the same thing, takes a mouthful of dog food runs into the living room and eats it one by one. She only does it if we are in the livingroom though. If I am still in the kitchen she'll take her mouthful and drop it next to the bowl and eat it off the floor. We kinda figured she just wants to be around us for dinner. My Strider inhales everything in his bowl and waits to see if anyone leaves anything in their bowl that he can scarf up. Merlin is a slw eater, but doesn't dare leave his bowl for fear that it will be Striderezed before he gets back. NO ONE touchs food from Queen Bitch Raven's bowl and lives.
Stella

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 08:33:46 am »
I've gotten to the point now when I put diner out who ever eats, eats. My 2 girls always come to the bowls but Apache (my boy) couldn't care less. Chazzy will eat some, Kiya will eat some, then go check out what in everyone else's bowl. Apache will finish whatever they leave. Breakfast I'll fill 1 bowl, if it's cleaned up I might add some more. My 3 ring circus!
Carolyn
Carolyn