Author Topic: Why Not Labs?  (Read 23998 times)

Offline Mellow Yellow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Why Not Labs?
« on: March 22, 2005, 07:36:36 pm »
Why no Labrador Retriever chat forum?
Alan

Offline tevan14

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Why Not Labs?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 08:04:05 pm »
hmmmm, perhaps labs are not really a BIG dog. some are but my ginger is kinda medium i'd say. :)

Offline LabMan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 12:24:41 pm »
 ???Got to agree with your question.  My male Lab is in the 82 pound range and is definately NOT a small dog.  Perhaps the defining character is lifespan, for example a Wolfhound will live about 8 years on average while a Lab will live about 12.

Jen

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 12:40:14 pm »
I've said it before and I will say it again, they should change the title to GIANT PAWS ONLY.  As you will notice the breeds mentioned at the top NEWFS, PYRS, ST. BENARDS are not considered large breed they are considered giant breed.  My pyr at 6 months (if I remember correctly)weighed in at 82 pounds and newfs and St. Benards are ussually bigger than a pyr.  A lab next to anyone of these breeds would look like a toy.  With giant breeds come very unique issues and I believe this board is a sounding board for owners with giant breeds the name Big Paws is an understatement!  For example here is picture of our Pyr at 18 months.

Jen

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 12:46:19 pm »
And in response to your quote a Great Pyrenees has an average life span of 12 years.

???Got to agree with your question.  My male Lab is in the 82 pound range and is definately NOT a small dog.  Perhaps the defining character is lifespan, for example a Wolfhound will live about 8 years on average while a Lab will live about 12.

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 01:06:51 pm »
It's all a matter of outlook. Below is a shot of my late 110 lb doberman, who at 12 years old was dwarfed by my 6 month old great dane. I considered him a big dog, but my dane is now a 180 lb monster.

Jen

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 01:12:38 pm »
Yeah yeah, maybe they should name it MONSTER PAWS!  A spoof off Monster Jobs .com ;)

It's all a matter of outlook. Below is a shot of my late 110 lb doberman, who at 12 years old was dwarfed by my 6 month old great dane. I considered him a big dog, but my dane is now a 180 lb monster.

Offline marleygirl52

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 02:34:18 pm »
2 weeks ago our yellow lab was laying on the couch  next to my mom and he looked like horse !

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Pregnant lab at LA shelter to be put to sleep tomorrow
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 09:35:42 am »
OK. This might not be the right forum for this, but I'm desperate and am posting it everywhere. Our local parish-run kill shelter has a pregnant black lab that is scheduled to be put to sleep via the gas chamber tomorrow unless we can tell them we have placement for her somewhere - anywhere. Our local Humane Society (of which I am the VP) will help arrange transport to save her, and her puppies lives. The shelter is rescue friendly and will release the dog to any rescue organization, but she MUST be spayed when the pups are weaned.

If anyone can help, please e-mail me at houmahumane@yahoo.com or call the shelter at 985-873-6709. Please only call if you can help. They do not want to have to put any animal to sleep, but our parish council does not see the shelter as a priority to give them more funds and they just don't have the room to hold dogs and cats for an indefinite period of time. 
Feel free to pass this plea on to anyone you can think of that may be able to help foster or adopt.
 Thanks
-- Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Jen

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 12:19:56 pm »
How far will they transport?  My friend lost her black lab to cancer a few months ago but she lives in NJ I don't know is that is doable?

Jen

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 12:36:02 pm »
Anything is doable! I know for sure our organization and local contacts can get her as far as the Florida panhandle. Then, we just have to coordinate with the Florida rescues to help take her up the coast. How far will your friend travel to come get her? Then we just have to cover the middle ground?  I can send pictures. She looks to be more of a lab/border collie mix and she is ready to deliver any day now.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Jen

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 01:10:17 pm »
Oh wow she looks alot like the lab my freind just lost to cancer.  I have sent her the pictures and the story via e-mail.  It was the type of e-mail that I had a lump in my throat writing.  She loved her Lab so much.  His name was Dante and he had to have Chemo.  They were best friends and been thru sooooooo much together. I am sure she isn't quite over it yet (can you ever be).  But I did forward your plea for help and if she is ready she will find you...I can promise you that!  Good Luck- you'll be in my heart!

Jen

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 01:43:58 pm »
Thanks for passing it along. Please let her know that time is super-critical. We must have some place lined up no later than 7:00 a.m. central time tomorrow morning or she will be put to sleep.  The shelter does not want these pups to be born at the shelter. It is a very stressful environment for the mom and the pups. Many times, the mom ends up eating some of the newborn pups because she is so anxious. This shelter does not have the funds to vaccinate or isolate sick animals so it is not a healthy place for newborns, either.  I appreciate your efforts.
Jeanne

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
pregnant lab at shelter in Houma, LA
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 02:01:21 pm »
I just found out that the shelter has given the pregnant lab a few more days. Her scheduled euthanization date is not this Friday instead of tomorrow. There's still time to save her and her unborn pups! Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.

jeanne
houmahumane@yahoo.com

Offline MuttMama

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 02:12:55 pm »
Well - I don't see why Labs can't be included if Australian Shepperds, or any other shepperd for that matter, is - they're about the same size.  Same with most Dobies.  If this is a new forum perhaps they're still adding breeds?  Anyhow - I have pointer mixes that I don't think are big enough (60ish lbs) but I'm partial to the big guys so thought I'd check it out.