Author Topic: what made you choose?  (Read 19487 times)

Offline mgcsold

• Ankle Biter
  • Zachary Thomas 1 year old.
    • View Profile
what made you choose?
« on: March 22, 2005, 08:45:28 pm »
hey all of you Akita parents.... ;D

What made you choose this breed?

After you made the decision to get an Akita....what stood out or drew you to the one you chose? ;D

What is you favorite thing about Akitas?

Just wanted to get some convesations started....enj oy... :D :D

Christi

my dog is my best friend, he listens when no one else will and licks away my tears....you can not lie to your dogs they can see right into your soul, and they will love you no matter what they see there.

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: what made you choose?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 01:13:28 pm »
I'll bite.  ;D
We chose an Akita after doing a lot of serious consideration about bringing a large dog into our home. We already had a Shiba and we thought a larger dog was in order. We considered Bernese and an Elkhound. But a trip to a benched dog show in San Francisco changed our minds. There we saw a gorgeous Akita. His owner/handler had him on the floor to let passerbys get a good, up-close look at him. He was amazing: obedient, gentle, dignified, friendly but still reserved and huge ... just an awesome animal. We fell in love and six months later, we brought his daughter, our Joji, home. Like her father, she is gentle and obedient; she's also a big goofy girl who loves attention.

I've certainly heard my share of horror stories about Akitas, but I keep saying, had I known what wonderful animals and companions that Akitas can be, I would have gotten one a long time ago. I think with proper training and a consistent, fair and firm environment, the Akita is an incredible joy for a family.

Teresa
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline mgcsold

• Ankle Biter
  • Zachary Thomas 1 year old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 11:09:41 am »
I agree with you One Hundred percent....the y are beautiful dogs with a demanding presence, gentle and loveable like a big teddy bear...lol

My brother and sister in law have a big, goofy girl named Dharma and she is the most loveable dog in the world (next to mine of course!!!!) The next breed I am looking at getting is an AKita.

Anyway thank you for your reply.

Christi
my dog is my best friend, he listens when no one else will and licks away my tears....you can not lie to your dogs they can see right into your soul, and they will love you no matter what they see there.

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 02:11:19 pm »
How old is your Samoyed?  Samoyeds are another incredibly beautiful breed. What is their temperment like?  Does Dharma get along with your pup?

Teresa

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline Tarna Jasmine

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 12:58:22 pm »
What made me chose my Morgan??? LOL

I did not chose her she chose me.

Morgan is a Boxer Akita German shepard mix. He mother is akita and german sheaprd and her father is AKC boxer.   

One look at her eyes and I had to have her. Since that fateful day she has become not only my beloved pet but now is my seizure alert/ service dog. 

She is smart as a whip and does not take long to pick up new "tricks". She it totally loyal, well behaved, family friendly and very very social with others.. IE people and dogs.

We raised her to that way. It is ashame that most folks are afriad of dog breeds.

I had one lady tell me to watch out she would be vicious just because she was part akita.

Many blessings
Tarna Jasmine

Offline rpeeples

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Peeples' Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 09:03:04 pm »
Hi!  I have had an Akita for about 8 years now.  I did a lot of research into different breed and the two things that attracted me the most ot the Akitas were their profound loyalty to their people and their silly side.  Since then I have learned that Akitas are profoundly intelligent dogs with an amazing ability to discriminate and respond appropriately, they are very unchanged in behavior from the primitive dogs, that I have to constantly learn and grow as as student of dog behavior & dog training to stay just an half-a-step ahead of them.  I enjoy their independence and their self-sufficiency. 

Rachel Peeples, DVM
Heart of Dixie Akita Rescue
hodakitas.org

Offline PrettySurvivor

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 03:44:13 pm »
I moved to Seattle almost 4 years ago, & coming from a semi-small town everything here was so intimidating & as large as Seattle was I felt so lonely.  Being raised around dogs & being an Akita lover I seized the first oppertunity I had after we moved into a dog friendly apt.  Im not hip or terribly big on buying directly from a breeder or a pet store,  when so many out there need homes.  So I hit the local shelter & low and below there lays Gizmo (Akita/Husky.)  He looked so sad,  he just layed there on the cement floor not interested in the swirl of activity around him, the minute I knew I had to have him was when his eyes lite up & sparkled when I squeezed the squeaky toy.   It's an unreal feeling of emotion that flowed thru me as cheesey as it sounds, that was a moment I wont forget.  Ever since the day we walked out of the shelter we've been best buddies. LOL ok get  your kleenex thats our story ;-)

Offline thorthugglesworth@

• Gnawer
  • Thor Thugglesworth
    • View Profile
    • Hustleware Clothing coming soon!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 03:23:26 am »
When I was fourteen years old, I saw Nicole's Akita on the witness stand with an animal interpreter in the O.J. trial, and I said to myself, "someday, I'd like to have one of those dogs.

Ten years later, I read the story of Hachiko on the internet, and that's when I said to myself, "I must have one of these dogs."

I cause "dog envy" wherever I go.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 02:39:47 am by thorthugglesworth@ »
Vagabond, baby. I kicks that raw, boy. Rappers get stole on like the Pistons' ball boy...... Barack in '08!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 03:17:15 pm »
Wow, your dogs are gorgeous.  I've never seen on in a red coat before.  Looks kinda likea  giant shiba.

I love akitas, and would love to have one someday, but their tendency towards dog aggression means I will probably never get one.

• Gnawer
  • Thor Thugglesworth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 02:31:02 am »
forgive these next few repetitive posts, I'm having a hard time getting pics to someone
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 08:55:34 pm by thorthugglesworth@ »
Vagabond, baby. I kicks that raw, boy. Rappers get stole on like the Pistons' ball boy...... Barack in '08!

• Gnawer
  • Thor Thugglesworth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 02:40:14 am »
I'll give you "Big Paws..."
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 08:57:15 pm by thorthugglesworth@ »

• Gnawer
  • Thor Thugglesworth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 02:46:06 am »
whogoesthere
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 03:20:36 am by thorthugglesworth@ »

• Gnawer
  • Thor Thugglesworth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 02:49:16 am »
thank you blog users for your patience...

• Gnawer
  • Thor Thugglesworth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 03:11:10 am »
puppy pix

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 03:16:25 am »
OMG!! What an adorable puppy Thor was!!  He doesn't look quite as fluffy as he did when younger.