Author Topic: chewing problem  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Macha

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
chewing problem
« on: December 30, 2006, 04:37:47 pm »
Hi, this is our first post here - hopefully we can get some advice.  We have a 2 1/2 year old female Bernese Mountain Dog ("Macha") that started to chew stuff around the house about a month ago.

She was crate trained as a puppy and young adult, but about 9 months ago we started letting her out of the crate when we left the house.  Everything went well and we eventually put the crate away.  Now I think we might need to get it back out..

Our routine has been basically the same except for some extra time at home because of the holidays.  Day after Christmas, my wife left for work at the usual time (I was off that day) and about 5 minutes after she left, I heard the dog with something in the hallway - the brand new shoes I had bought my wife(!).  Luckily, damage was minimal.

Today we went out for about 30 minutes and she had gotten onto the counter and ate a tupperware of cookies (it was closed and not near the edge) and all of the cat treats. 

Sometimes it's shredding paper, or sometimes it's just moving something like a shoe to show us she could have destroyed it.

We hate to go back to the crate, but I think we'll need to before it's furniture, (another) cell phone etc.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: chewing problem
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 04:43:55 pm »
at 2 1/2 we still had a lot of puppy behavior from our akita.  he's just over 3 now and finally starting to mellow out and mature.  with all the holiday excitement, and even just a slight change in schedule it may be too much for your baby.  a lot of dogs see their crate as their "safe" place, and it's also a lot safer for your belongings!  i'd go back to the crate and maybe try house privileges at a later date.  i sure wish you luck!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]