Author Topic: Summer heat - Cut back his fur?  (Read 10234 times)

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Wolfie & Freddie: The New Puppy
Summer heat - Cut back his fur?
« on: July 04, 2005, 02:09:58 pm »
I've read in Pyr books not to shave Pyrs in the summer b/c the hair protects them from the beating sun...  but does anyone know about having them trimmed?  I was at PetSmart and talked to a woman who was having her St. Bernard cut back - he looked adorable - and she said she does it every summer.  I figure it's probably fine or PetSmart wouldn't do it, but I'd rather hear from other Pyr owners!  Any advice?   ??? :D

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Summer heat - Cut back his fur?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 02:46:24 pm »
I live in Florida. I used to have a pyr mix. We had him shaved always. He was much happier and more active. I have a 1 1/2 y/o pyr now. We don't have him shaved. I can't say I never will. He is so hot. My last dog that we shaved grew his hair back fine and it was not ruined.

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 03:27:18 pm »
I have a Newf and have been told by everyone NOT to shave. The dogs I know that have been clipped and/or shaved have hair that grows back funny. It is not in the same consistency that it was originally and it is wavy. short and quick due to the heat.Where I live it is currently in the 100's and our dog just stays in the house with the AC and fan on. He goes out early (at sunrise)and late (after dark) for walks. Potty times throughout the day are as short as we can make them. Though it is hot, he sleeps alot and does just fine. Good luck in making your decision!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 03:27:22 pm »
I am having the same dilemma...We are going on our annual camping trip the last weekedn of July...There is NO WAY I am leaving Samson behind...I'll stay home first..I just don't know what to do to keep him cool though.

Offline Tabby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 05:53:57 am »
I have not cut or shaved Mike (7 mo Pyr pup) yet, even though my vet thinks I should.  I have cut my samoyed mix back the past two summers and can definately tell she is much more comfortable.  I can not make up my mind about my Pyr.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 11:57:30 am »
Hello

I live in Edmonton and it gets very hot here, not at hot as the southern states but still hot enough that you don't want to move because you are a big ball of sweat. Anyway I have noticed that Dilbert my Pyr mis does get very hot, but from what I have read you shouldn't shave/cut back as their fur helps keep them cool in the summer, and prevent sunburns. SO what I do to cool him off and I do this for my Lab as well and they just love it. And it seems to work.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 03:28:28 pm »
IMHO - I am a Pyr breeder with 20 years experience with these dogs.  I personally am dead set against shaving your Pyr.  But then again I agree it is up to you if your Pyr is a house dog.  If he is not then I recommend you do not shave or even cut the hair short for the following reasons.  1) A Pyr has very sensitive skin and the double coat they carry is there to protect their skin from sun damage in the summer as well as from the cold of winter.  2) A Pyrs coat is to protect him also from damage sustained in a fight with predators.

It definitely has it's advantages if the Pyr is strickly an indoor dog.  But if he is outside, you can bet he will get in a fight with ferrell dogs that come onto your property, predators etc.  Mine got into it with a cougar that was after the sheep.  Not a one of my dogs had injuries.  They were bloody but it wasn't their blood.  If I had shaved any of them I guarantee the outcome would have been different.

I also recommend you consider this before shaving or cutting short thier hair.  I've talked to quite a few owners that have done that and it definitely has a bad pshchological effect on them when it's shaved.

Jackie Wood
Taninmara Great Pyrenees
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 05:12:42 pm »
Hi Jackie!...I was happy to see that you've been posting!...I wouldn't shave Samson because I have heard about too mahy potential problems but, is it o.k. to just have his hair cut back some?...Sammy is a house dog & is only outside in our fenced in yard for short periods unless we are out there for the afternoon or evening...We also have a yard full of mature trees for shade...& of coarse he has the kiddy pool that he won't yet use on his own because he thinks it's "The Devil"...lol...We are going camping at the end of this month & I want him to be comfortable so he enjoys camping with us as we do it every summer but it wil be his first camping trip.

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 06:50:42 pm »
Thanks everyone for the feedback!   ::)   ;D  As I said in my original post, I am not planning to do anything drastic like shaving Freddie.  I just want to know if there is any problem with cutting him back - trimming him, particularly in the areas that get matted easily, like behind his ears and the backs of his legs.  Pros/cons?  Anyone used PetSmart?

Offline pyrmom420

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 10:37:49 pm »
We shaved Gandalf last summer (his first) and he liked it so much, he actually leaned into the groomerand she wound up cutting it shorter than she planned! She left his tail and legs long and he looked quite humorous :D He thought he was "all that". I had him done by a different groomer this year, and was horribly dissapointed. I probably won't do it again. He looked like a billy goat when she was done with him! So my advice is get a groomer who has done Pyrs before. They usually cost more, but they are worth it!
Kim

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 10:21:23 am »
Thanks, good advice.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 11:59:49 am by jdumin »

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 01:47:50 pm »
I am having Bo's "feathers" cut, since they often tend to get really matted.  She recently developed an abcess from a foxtail that got in behind a dreadlock & now has to have her whole left butt cheek shaved!  Yikes!  I also get her a "sanitary trim" because of the issue of certain bodily fluids that get caught in the long hair.  I don't shave her top or sides, just trim the backs of the legs & the genital area.  We live in a rural area in Northern California & the foxtails are MADNESS!! 
Jenn & Bo
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 03:59:31 pm »
I've never had Blizzard cut , but I have done a few things myself.

Like the tufts behind her ears and under the flaps. I keep those shaved and trimmed well so air cirulation keeps the ear canal dry and free from possible infections. Of course, cleaning once a week helps too.

In the summer, I   shave the inside of her back thighs, along the genital area and about 1/4 of the way up her belly. She loves this! She lays flat in the cool grass and just... well, you can see the pleasure in her eyes.

Other than that, it's all I do. Oh, and lot's of raking/combing/brushing. Matts are not allowed! I really, really dispise any kind of matting on my dog.

Oops, I forgot one other place I keep trimmed, but it's hidden and no one ever notices it. A tiny 1/2 inch square between the shoulder blades, but it's later covered up by the longer strands around her neck and shoulders. This is where I make sure her Front Line is applied to the skin and not caught up in the denser undercoat, only be in ineffective in protecting her from fleas and ticks.

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Summer heat - totally disgusting story to share
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 04:05:11 pm »
Ok, this is somewhat related to summer cuts.  My landlords have an older (9) Pyr male who is strictly an outside dog.  Teddy gets no inside privelages & basically guards the driveway from...well... whatever he wants.  Anyway, the lords noticed a sore on his back, above his tail & upon further inspection, they found (hold on to your stomach) MAGGOTS!!!  Yes, MAGGOTS in his fur!  The flies had laid their eggs in his matted & damp fur and once they went to the vet, they found that he was COVERED in them.  I know, FREAKING DISGUSTING!  Anyway, poor Teddy had to be shaved.  Completely.  He now looks something like a combination between a pink donkey & a Q-Tip!  They left his massive head unshaved, but the rest of him is SKINNY, PINK and BALD!!!  During the day he has to wear an old t-shirt to protect him from sunburn.  I'll have to attach a photo...it's impossible to accurately describe what he looks like.  I feel really sorry for him, but he seems to have quite a spring in his step now that the skin problem has been fixed.
Jenn & Bo
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 05:16:51 pm »
Please..Go over the your landlord's...Knock on the door...When they answer slap the crap out of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Tell them Samson's mama sent you!!!...OMG!!!...That is truely awful!...Outside dog or not...Infact ecspecially if it is an outside dog it needs to be checked over on a regular basis...I hope they will pay better attention to the shape he is in now!