Author Topic: Summer heat - Cut back his fur?  (Read 10239 times)

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
Re: Summer heat - Cut back his fur?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 08:02:45 am »
Our rescue group schedules a Pyr "Shave-a-thon"  several times a summer here in the Dallas area. One of our member's is a professional groomer, and will do 8 pyrs in a row, plus assorted other small dog, on Satuirday, and then another like amount on Sunday. Kendra's pink spotted skin has seen daylight for 4 weeks now, and has not tanned or burned at all. On the other hand, my current foster dog is not shaved, and has had no problems either.
None of these are show dogs, so I won't comment on the quality of the regrown hair, but I will include a picture of Earl freshly shaved, and another 6 or 7  months after he was shaved.  I thnk everyone will have to agree, shaving did not hurt Earl's appearence after it regrew. (but man! Doesn't he look goofy freshly shaved!)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 08:04:23 am by wlemons »

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 09:28:54 am »
Wow!...What a difference!...Though in the pics he looks happier with his hair...lol...I sn't it funny how those big majestic Pyrs look so much smaller when they are wet or shaved? :D

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 02:20:26 pm »
This happens frequently this time of year when guardians are not cared for properly.  That's why it is so important not only to groom them frequently to check for problems such as this but to "socialize those guardians" as puppies so you can do that!  My pet peve here....

Often, hot spots such as these can be prevented by nutritional control.. minumum fat content in food for that is 14%.  It helps the skin and cuts back on hot spots.  The original sore was most likely flea agrivated.  Dog started scratching due to the itch.  Opened the skin and wa-lah!

This may sound just horrible but it's natures way of healing it when there is no help from owner or vet.  Maggots are often used, even in modern medicine in hospitals to help get rid of dead tissue.  Such as gangrene.  Maggots only eat the dead tissue, not the healthy tissue.  Of course without that process being monitored closely, infections develope and the dog can die from septicemia.

Give them a grooming brush!.... Idiots!

Bless his heart!
Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 11:26:33 am »
I was reading over the posts and I noticed in mine I never did say what I do to keep my pups cool, duh :-\ anyway I give them icecubes to suck on

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 11:35:34 am »
If Samson gets ahold of an icecube he pukes because he swallows it whole! :-\

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 12:12:57 pm »
oh my well that's not good. Dilbert will crunch it and sometimes play with it. He flings it across the room.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)