Author Topic: Success Story - Last Chance Dog  (Read 1821 times)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Success Story - Last Chance Dog
« on: January 05, 2007, 12:44:45 pm »

I wanted to share this story I received from a great positive trainer regarding one of her more serious training clients this past year.  It is an excellent example of how to properly train for long term results and success:

"A few of my cases this past year were those "last resort or else the dog is gone" cases.

Every single one of "my" dogs were trained exclusively with positive (what I consider positive, no corrections, no startling, hitting, choking, no prong or choke or shock or citronella collars, etc.) methods while I was working with them. With a few of these dogs, I have no doubt that old fashioned trainers would have resorted to (very)
harsh methods because of size of problem and dog and level of confidence in dog :)

Anyway, I wanted to know long term success rate of these exclusively positive methods and whether people stuck with them, etc. and one of the three toughest cases I ever had got back to me (they had 10 private lessons with me!) as to how they were doing one year after.

We worked intermittenten tly last year between late January and early April and I did a bit of dog walking for them for a while too since (apparently) no dog walker could handle this dog back then, now anyone could <G>

Dog was an adolescent (or is, she's still around!) giant breed bucking Bronco recently adopted from a shelter. Her breed rescue refused to take her in because they deemed her too dangerous (too much of a liability) because of her extremely high arousal behaviors (hard mouthing, hard jumping, "stealing" and resource guarding, etc. combined
with her size 120lbs she really was dangerous....)

So the shelter decided to adopt her out to a couple with giant breed experience making it obligatory that they have private training with this dog with another trainer. Combined, the husband and wife maybe weighed 180 lbs, if that!

Long story short, I was hired to train because I am friends with the trainer who was asked originally because she couldn't travel all the way where these people live and they're close to me.

The people followed up beautifully on my suggestions, did their homework and now they told me that a year after, the success maintained. They can now take the dog anywhere (they take her to work!!!!!!!!) like the dog park, vacation on the beach, etc. and told me people *always* comment on how well behaved she is. WOW!

That's amazing because this dog was *so* close to euthanasia and so wild and out of control and so high arousal and reactive, and so huge, it's unbelievable. In all honesty, she was probably way over my head at
the time but I was apprenticing with Pat then (and I have other trainer friends too) whose brains I picked about this case.

And yes, we used positive methods throughout and even though I recommended they use a headhalter (which I rarely do but she redirected on them a few times) they opted not to and even though the dog outweighed these people, they were able to train her on a harness, with a really strict management protocol, a good say please program and
last, but not least, with a clicker and a bunch of cookies :)

They told me if it wasn't for me and Vienna Sausages, they would have had to give up the dog :) Ah, that felt *really* good, I'll save that letter (and thanks Pat for introducing me to disgusting Vienna Sausages!)

Lucky for us, we found very early on that this dog was *highly* motivated by Vienna Sausages and we made her work *hard* for them! Since she was very big and pretty thin (at 120lbs! yes she really did need to gain,) it was great to use all her food for training and having her work for all of it. They told me that they now can even take
objects right out of her mouth :) YES!

These tiny, petite people were able to tame their 120lbs + "dragon" of an adolescent nightmare giant breed dog with a clicker and a bunch of cookies. I say, if they can do it, most people should be able to do it! Boy I wish all my clients were that compliant!

So when someone ever tells you (again) that their dog or some other "last chance" dog(s) needs harsh methods for control, please tell them that that's the last thing last chance dogs need! Even if they weigh 120lbs and put their teeth on you!

(BTW. I am not suggesting every dog can or should be "saved"!)

Thanks,

Sabine Hentrich, CPDT
fourpositivepa ws.com

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Success Story - Last Chance Dog
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 12:59:32 pm »
how great!!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]