Author Topic: making arrangements for your pets, need advice.  (Read 5682 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
making arrangements for your pets, need advice.
« on: January 02, 2007, 12:41:07 pm »
simply because i am pessimistic, i like to have plans made out so that no matter WHAT happens, everyone will be cared for.  i was curious if anyone knew of a way to make arrangements for your furr-kids to go to a rescue, or something to that manner, in the event that something happen to me and my hubby.  i ask because no one in my family will take big paws :(  i was thinking maybe i could put a rescue in our living wills with the stipulation that our furr-kids remain there until they pass, but i have never heard of anything like this.  does anyone know?  thanks!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: making arrangements for your pets, need advice.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:46:16 pm »
Some states allow pet owners to create a trust to care for the pets.  You can also talk to whoever you have chosen to be your executor so they know what you need. 

Leave a note on your fridge that says open in case of emergency with directions on how to locate a caregiver for your pets and medical instructions.  My emergency note says, among other things, that the little black dog is hypoglycemic and feed her right away if she vomits. 

Hint to your young relatives that the dogs have a huge trust fund and the best person gets it.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 12:14:53 am »
LOL, love the last bit! It would most likely work as well.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 03:40:17 am »
we can't really hint to the younger ppl, because we are the younger ppl ha ha.  brandon's sis and my sis... yeah, i don't even trust them with my kids.  think i might contact a rescue and ask them.  thanks for the input!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 07:33:12 am »
You know - I hadn't thought about this, but it is important to consider!  We are going to draw up our wills this month (unbelievable that we are still without wills!!!) and so will talk to our lawyer about that.  There was a high profile case here not so long ago involving cats - the owner had stipulated that they were to stay in his home and be cared for - I admired him for doing that!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline fullsizetrucks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 10:21:49 am »
Right now my husband and I have very generic "he gets everything/she gets everything" wills.  We have to update ours and make them more specific.  I also don't have family that would be willing to take them all.  They might split them up, which would be better than them going to a shelter or rescue, but there is no way that our families would keep them together.
Big dogs make a house a home.
Be nice, you are God to your Dog.

Heidi
Harassed mother of one 2 legged kid, and three 4 legged spoiled brats!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 10:24:38 am »
our families would send them to the shelter, i'm almost positive.  my mom MIGHT keep axle, but that's as far as it goes, unless hubby's sister or my sister takes one, but like i said, i won't have that.  i'd rather them be strays then go to live with those two!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)