Author Topic: Story....Got time?  (Read 10902 times)

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Story....Got time?
« on: January 07, 2007, 10:56:17 am »
I have a story to tell.  It starts off very sadly. 

I lost my Boomer this past August.  I haven't signed on since, cause the last post was about how he got a special day at the river without Bella.  It turned out to be his last special trip.  He got really sick about 5 days later and didn't make it to the vet.  I don't know what happened because he didn't show any signs of sickness except he threw up clear liquid twice.  But was otherwise a happy pup.  He drank some and was eating some.  He had a history of this behavior because of a sickness as a pup.  Long story short, I'll never second guess an illness again.  He was my hubby's boy.  He was the coolest dog ever!  He'll be deeply missed forever.

Yesterday while purchasing a really big bag of dog food for Bella I saw a Mantle GD in the parking lot.  I went over, asked permission to pet said pooch, and she was darling.  Her young owners each had a small shaggy pooch of their own in their arms and the pet store lady was holding the GD.  I commented that I had a Blue at home, and they are fabulous friends.  So, I went in and got what I needed, and while I was paying, the pet store lady came in and whispered "would you like to have her?"   Hmmmm,  DUH! instantly came to mind but I said "YES!" instead.  She said that the couple were giving her away, and she was going to take her but had 3 other dogs at home, and could I come back around 5....hmmm 32 minutes to go!  Now to convince hubby.  It took about 3 seconds and a really pathetic look from me...and he said yes!  I prepared the truck for her ride home and went back to the store.  When I got there I asked questions about the GD, and the lady explained that she changed her mind and wanted to try to keep her for a few days to see if it worked out.....NOOOOO OOO!  My heart was broken, but I never take no for an answer.  I stuck around and after about 10 minutes the lady thought better of herself and handed me the leash.  So here is my new baby...Ellie!

Okay, now for the last part...Bella, aka Jealous Bella, is a bit growly (super protective of us), but has been submissive to Ellie.  There was growling, and chasing of the cat, and play-nibbling of another furry four legger in my sons room.  She is super sweet but is definately one notch higher in the pack than Bella. Please tell me this growly stuff is normal, and that all will work itself out with a little time??????? (It seems that they are just trying to establish who is in charge)  Oh, and anything else I can expect by bringing a 14 month old into my home?  Getting new pets isn't new to me, but getting an older pet is.

Thanks for listening, and helping!

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Re: Story....Got time?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 11:06:29 am »
How gorgeous and who can't say that this was perfect timing?  Fate!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 12:22:12 pm »
Awww ,I'm so very sorry about Boomer , he was gorgeous  :'( But it seems it was meant to be with your new pooch and she is just beautiful ! Good luck with her !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 12:23:56 pm »
WOW - Congratulation s!! That is just too cool. Bella is probably going to be ok in a few days- she is just asserting her dominance and it looks like Ellie is not challenging her. I have had to go thru that introduction period a few times now and the longest it took so far was 3 months and that was between Jake and Garrett. Jake thinks that he is the alpha dog, but in all actuality, Zoey the Pyrenees is alpha, so it gets to be a lot of fun around here some days.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 01:22:02 pm »
wow, she's gorgeous!  and boy, do i EVER know what you're going through!  we just brought our 5th dog in, we now have a 3 y/o a 3-4 y/o and THREE 8 month old puppies, our smallest weighing about 75 lbs now.  our 8 month olds are two danes and a pitbull and BOY have we been going through this, too!  thankfully, it has simmered down mostly, we only have the occasional fur fight when scout and diesel both try to play, and the fur-sibling has had enough.  it will get easier!  one thing that has really helped us, is taking them for walks together, which helps bonding, but keeps them distracted enough they don't harass each other.  good luck, i hope you post more pics!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 01:57:16 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kindness about Boomer.  Also, the reassurance that this fur-fighting is normal puts my heart at ease.  I couldn't bare to make Ellie go through another home change.  I was told she came from a rescue, then into that home with small poochies, and to be passed from that lady for like 15 minutes and then to me---sheesh!  I think you all know I rescued Boomer from a kill shelter, and what a great life that furboy had!  I totally don't believe in moving around, cause I had to go through that as a kiddo myself.  I hope she likes her home with us.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 02:02:56 pm »
Congrats on your new addition with Ellie.  Like everyone else has said it is natural and should work itself out soon.  Mine will still jockey for position and they are 3yo, 2yo, and 11 months.  For the most part they get along wonderfully. 

So sorry to hear about Boomer.  That's never easy but pets tend to mask how sick they really are. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 05:56:32 pm »
awwwww...  Congratualatio ns on your new addition... Ellie is gorgeous!  I couldn't help but smile when I read that part of your story... cause I have an Ellie too (dobie/pit)! I am sure your girls will work out the pack order and  y'all will soon be oe big happy family!

Thanks for sharing your story with us.... so glad to see you're back!

I too am sorry hear about Boomer. RIP sweet boy!

Offline fullsizetrucks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 06:52:05 pm »
Boomer was very handsome and I am sorry you had to lose him.  Ellie is beautiful, and she is very lucky that she found you!  I am going thru the same issues, because I just took in my first rescue, and she is already 1 1/2 years old.  I had a bit of growling and competing at first, but everyone has seemed to accept each other.  I am not going to pretend that there will never be issues, but it is getting better each day.  Good luck with your girls!!
Big dogs make a house a home.
Be nice, you are God to your Dog.

Heidi
Harassed mother of one 2 legged kid, and three 4 legged spoiled brats!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 05:43:58 am »
I am so sorry about Boomer. 

Congratualtion s on your new addition though!  She's beautiful.  As for the growling, it will just take some time for eveyone to settle down and wrork things out!

I have to go now and hang out in a parking lot, hoping that someone will give me their dog! :) :)
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 09:36:29 pm »
Blinky...hmmm, I don't think it usually works that way!  I think you might be able to write it on a cardboard sign, and stand by a freeway...they get loads of free stuff here!  "wanted:  really big dog to eat me out of house and home"....may work!?!?!?

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 09:57:06 pm »
She is beautiful!!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 10:58:02 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear about Boomer.You gave him a wonderful home and I'm sure he is waiting to tell you that again at the Rainbow Bridge.

Ellie is beautiful!!!! I'm glad she was able to find a good home to keep her more then 15 mins.I don't have any advice to offer the on the growling,yet.I just brought home a new puppy on Sat and Butt isn't so sure I should have done that.We are just taking it slow and letting Butt be the leader.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 01:37:57 am »
UPDATE!!!!

Ellie has finally gotten used to those furry little critters called cats!  She and Bella still fur fight...but over stupid stuff.  They're just being sisters at this point.  She is still stressed I can tell, but she is calming down a bit.  When we go out front I could walk her without a leash she is so stuck to me.  She still wants to eat the smaller furry critter in a cage--so we're super careful to only let "said critter" out when she is in the backyard.  She'd also like to "taste" the bird I think.  It's funny, when I had my parrot, nobody wanted to taste him...somethin g about being pecked on the nose at warp speed!  What a good deterrent!!!  Thanks again all for your advice...You were right.   ;D

Anakalia

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 01:54:28 am »
Thanks so much for the update!  She's such a beautiful girl, I'm really glad to hear she's calming down for you.  :)