Author Topic: stinky mistake...need help!!  (Read 10273 times)

Offline moenow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
stinky mistake...need help!!
« on: April 26, 2007, 08:22:10 am »
OK, so we paper trained the pup in the garage since it was so yucky outside when we got him.  He did a great job learning.  UNFORTUNATELY, he's now huge (7 month old great dane!) and he WON'T go P**P outside!!  I think it's because I have him on a leash or a lead when I try to get him to "go" outside and he doesn't like the constriction.. ..??  Our property isn't fenced (YET) and we can't just leave him out there by himself because he's just too curious and wants to wander.  What to do NOW???  Any suggestions??  I want my garage back to normal!!  By the way...invisibl e fences do not work with him...we tried it and at first, it worked (two training sessions) THEN he just stood there twitching and trying to scratch himself.  One sick puppy, huh??

Anakalia

Re: stinky mistake...need help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 08:25:43 am »
Hmmm that's a tough question!  Is there anyway you can hook a cable up like a runner?  That way he can't leave the yard but you won't be standing next to him and he can have his "privacy".  Koby won't go either if I'm standing right next to him.  If you do decide to use a cable you would still have to be out with him just watch him from a distance, bad things can happen if you leave a dog on a cable unattended.

Offline moenow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 08:30:49 am »
Just this morning, he was on about a 20 foot long lead and he went pee like he normally does, had breakfast, sat around awhile and we let him back in the house.  He started acting "funny" and going towards the garage door, and the second my daughter let him out there...he POOPED!!  Have you seen the movie "Open Season"??  My daughter says that Cooper is like Boog the bear...he couldn't go in the forest...he needed a toilet!!!

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:32:15 am »
What if you moved the paper outside?  Place the potty pads where you want him to go (outside) would be my first attempt.  Do you use a crate when you are gone?
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:32:40 am »
you may try slowly moving his "potty pad" closer to the door.  about a foot or so a day, and then eventually move it outside.  i've had some dogs who thought they weren't SUPPOSED to go potty outside b/c they were pad trained, but did great after moving it slowly.  also, once you move it to the door, put it outside the door, then work on moving it a little at a time to the grass, so he doesn't get "as" confused.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline moenow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 10:27:23 am »
I'll try moving the paper closer to the door.  Yesterday, I tried just moving some of the p**p paper outside to see if when he smelled it, he'd get the hint.  Nope.

We're home just about all the time.  I'm lucky enough to be a stay at home mom.  He goes in his crate at night and at nap time and if we're not going to be gone a long time.  If we're gone for awhile, he's in the garage, which will have to change because he just "goes" when he wants.  What does everyone else do with their dogs if they're gone for awhile?  I love the amount of property we have, but it sure is a pain that it's not fenced!!  When he was allowed off leash when we went outside before (before he started getting curious, that is!) he would do his business on the grass....I'm convinced it's the leash...no matter how long it is!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 10:30:06 am »
we crate ours when we're not around, and when we're working on house training, we crate whenever we can't pay 100% attention to the behaviors that signal they have to go potty.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

k2campbell

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 12:00:32 pm »
Hmmmmm, this sure is a tough one. Wondering if you have anything that could act as 3 walls and a roof outside in your yard? Maybe it's the "being indoors" part while pooping that he's concerned about?

Just thinking, if you had 3 large (and tall) pieces of plywood/drywall/whatever would work, nailed them together and nailed another along the top, left it in your yard and tried that? If he would poop in there, take off one "wall" (or side) every other day or so, until there's nothing left and he's outside?

I don't know, may sound stupid but all I could think of.

Best of luck!

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 12:23:35 pm »
Do you have a potty word? I think eventually he will HAVE to go when on leash outside (does he poop on walks?), but if you have a potty word give it to him when he's out and give him a big treat when he goes, I'm sure he'll get it soon.

Offline moenow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 02:45:49 pm »
I agree that it was our fault for paper training him in the garage, and now it seems that we'll (or should I say, "I WILL") have to re-train him to go outside.  When I take him out there, he's more interested in exploring the chicken coop and eating wild turkey poop that he could really care less about anything else.  That's why I laugh about the "re-call" thing...he finds turkey poop way more of a delicacy than anything I have for him!  I just had him off leash and he wouldn't leave the chicken area.

Long walks can't be done quite yet with him because the pads on his feet are really tender(pink) and the last time he went on one, they got completely raw and bleeding.  We are trying small walks to toughen them up, but we don't want to create a larger problem.

I really appreciate all of the ideas you all are giving me...something will eventually work...

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 04:53:26 pm »
What about a chicken coop for him? Put some paper in it, praise, make the paper smaller and smaller and then take the coop away...

Why are his paws sore?

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 02:33:03 pm »
I'm with you on this, Jenn.  Holly had me in tears with this mental image.  Of course, I had to go one step farther and I imagined Holly lighting her dogs farts for fun. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 02:44:29 pm »
Is it called a backdraft when the flames and poo come shooting out of their butts?  And is Holly considered an arse-sonist for doing this to her poor pups?   :D
Kaila - Belgian Malinois

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 03:13:03 pm »
hahahaha...

This gives a whole new meaning to booty blowout.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois