Author Topic: Gracie starts school tonight  (Read 7110 times)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Gracie starts school tonight
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:35:54 am »
Tonight is the first day of Gracie's official obedience training.  Well I guess it's actually my first night of learning how to train Gracie to be an obedient pup.  After her obedient class (six weeks) we'll graduate and become eligible to take the CGC prep course (another six weeks) and hopefully move forward to becoming a therapy dog.  This is something I've always thought would be very rewarding to both pet and people alike.  Gracie has been such a sweetheart and so accepting of people of all ages, and dogs of all sizes as well as cats and I just feel she really has something to offer us.  I know that a fellow BPO'er, Magic, is a therapy dog and I'm sure I'll have tons of questions for Trisha and her celebrity pup.  I’m also very open to and welcome any advice anyone else has to offer in regards to therapy work and what all we should be prepared for.  I’m so excited for Gracie and the challenge we’ve taken on.  Wish us luck.   
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Gracie starts school tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 11:19:17 am »
i loved doing stuff like this with axle so much!  unfortunately our schedule doesn't allow me to anymore :(  hope you have fun, and that gracie does too!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 03:09:09 pm »
I loved obedience class, we are going to level 3 in February. Do they have to be a certain age for CGC or therapy work?

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 03:27:51 pm »
No.  The CGC (Canine Good Citizen) certificate is a program that rewards dogs with good manners to both dogs and people.  It's a 10-step test and the only prerequisite is that Gracie passes her basic obedience to move into the CGC prep class.  What I like the most about this particular class is on the last day of the CGC prep course she'll be taking her exam. So the teacher of the course will have the opportunity to work with us to assist us in areas we may need work at.  I've attached a link from the AKC site to show you what the CGC is.    I have heard nothing but positive remarks about obedience class and I just can't wait. Thanks for the well wishes and I promise to keep everyone updated. 
Here is a link to give you more information about the CGC
certification.  X=0\&SEARCH_BUTTON. Y=0" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/index.cfm?SEARCH_BUTTON. X=0\&SEARCH_BUTTON. Y=0
Misty slave to:
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 03:50:23 pm »
I teach obedience classes and CGC and would hope that someone would say such nice things about my classes.  Have a great time!!  Gracie sounds perfect for such work.

If you have any questions you can always pm me.  I can't get enough of this stuff. 

Go be obedient Gracie!! Cosmo hasn't made it to my class yet.  We are a work in progress.  I hope to take him in one of our next few sessions.  I take one of my dogs to visit during one class just for fun. 

Krista
Krista, Cosmo (Goofus), Sadie (THE BOSS) and Sammie (Sweet Boy)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 04:00:40 pm »
You do!!!!!  Oh gosh, thats great and you may be getting an earful when we get to that class.  Thank you so much too for being available.  I KNOW I'm going to have a million questions. 

Good luck to Cosmo in his training.  Obvioulsy he's in good hands.   ;)
Misty slave to:

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 04:03:05 pm »
Cosmo doesn't think it is very cool to have a trainer for a mom.  Plus, I am a plumber with leaky pipes.  Haven't you seen pics of Cosmo on my furniture???  I don't allow such nonsense.  ;) ;)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 04:15:46 pm »
Have a wonderful time in class! :)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 04:16:21 pm »
HA HA!! Well, maybe he's just at that rebel age and testing you.  I must admit, as cute as he is he would have me wrapped around that big paw without question. I also believe that all beings have a super power.  They may not be that super but it's a power.  Mine is that I can't grow my hair out past the middle of my back and I also have the amazing ability to find the slowest line at the grocery store.  It's a gift...  Maybe his is that he can get away with lounging on furniture...     
Misty slave to:

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 06:11:45 pm »
WOWIE i love doing obediance classes. jigsaw starts hers on the 16th. Zero took it 3 times and Memphis once... my trainer also shows, so she is going to be teaching handling to jigs (as she did with zero). its great fun. I hope you have a great time. :) Good luck
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Icerotti

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 06:50:41 pm »
Gracie you and mommy will  have so much fun.... Thats what I need to get back into with Farley and Rosie ::)..... Can't wait to hear how it went ;D

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 09:54:59 am »
WELL..........
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 10:02:40 am »
Okay the first class was very long (It included an orientation) beginning at 7:45 and ran till approximately 10 but it was nice to get to meet all the other students and the instructor.  Gracie did get restless at one point as she had to sit still and listen to the instructor talk about how we take the alpha roll but that was a lot to ask of her being she's 7 months old and around 5 other dogs roughly around her age. All that considered she did very well.  We worked on holding her attention, sit and staying within a certain distance with me on a lead.  She was a star student and learned all of that very fast.  I on the other hand needed most of the work.  Holding her attention at my face instead of at my hands or the treat bag was hard.  The thing is she was focused on the treats in my hand instead of me.  So, I was taught to hold the treats in my mouth.  Gross because I'm not a fan of hotdogs or liver treats.  But it was all for the sake of Gracie’s higher learning and if that means I have to store a liver treat in my mouth from time to time then that's what I'll do.  Though next week I think we'll be taking chicken pieces....  Anyway, the class was awesome, the instructor was very good and most importantly Gracie did an awesome job and was very eager to learn.  So we had a blast.  Thanks for the comments you guys and when we graduate I'll be sure to post lots of pictures of my little ace....
Misty slave to:

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 10:10:04 am »
YAY Gracie!!  Two hours and 15 minutes!!!  Holy cow.  I feel bad when I take 1 1/2 hours.  It sounds like good stuff though!  Forget the treats if you can.  My dogs get freaky silly when treats are involved so I rarely use them.  For your class get a nail gun pouch or a folded in apron and put treats in the pockets.  You are hands free and the treats only become available and in sight when you choose.  Saying that, I am warning you, Cosmo tries to stick his giant head in my treat pouch when I get home from work!!  I tell my clients to stick it on at home now and then so it isn't such a big deal.

I am glad you had fun and learned!!
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 10:22:57 am »
Oh I know.  It was a long time.  A lot of time was spent on issuing the leather leads, slip collars and in Gracie's case a pinch as she's a puller.  They also provided us with the aprons for the treats and I just wore it backwards to keep her head out of it and she also couldn't see where they were coming from.  hahaha..  It worked.  I'll definately be easing up on the treats too as I really don't want to disrupt her diet that much either.  I can totally see her packing on a little weight if she gets so many treats.  I like the idea of wearing it when I'm home from time to time so it wont be such a big deal.  You should have seen how attentive she was this morning when she even saw the apron.  It was really funny.  That could be a good little trick.   ;)  Thanks.
Misty slave to: