Author Topic: I'm really frustrated as to what food to buy for my puppy ???  (Read 3513 times)

Krista I

I'm really frustrated as to what food to buy for my puppy ???
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:10:24 pm »
I've heard so many different opinions about which puppy food is best for my saint bernard puppy, that now I just don't know what to buy  :-\  Some people tell me DO NOT buy large breed puppy food because it is too high in protein,  then someone else tells me to buy food that has a maximum of 25% protein.  Well the puppy food I have is called (Hill's prescription diet large breed) and it's from the veterinarian.  This food that I have has 25% protein in it.  The vet told me this food is really good for my puppy.  It has antioxidants in it, and has natural DHA, important for brain and vision development.  So what do you all think about this???  Shouldn't the veterinarian know???

Krista I

Re: I'm really frustrated as to what food to buy for my puppy ???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 06:49:33 pm »
Thank you both so much!!!  You gave me EXCELLENT advice, and I feel very comfortable now buying my puppy's food.  I am either going to buy Innova or Eagle pack for my puppy.  I was just reading the list of ingredients in Hills prescription diet, and it's awful stuff.  The very first ingredient is Corn!!!  Which is not good at all!  So I want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH to both of you!  You guys rock!  I wish I had your msn address's so I could talk to you more on msn. :)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 07:55:06 pm »
I have started Tonka on Innova Evo, and it is a great food!  There is a really great website www.dogfoodpro ject.com that can help you get some insight.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:36:14 pm »
I thought I would add my thoughts here, although it sounds like you've cleared things up with the help of BPO! I too came here for advice on Saint's and on food.  I had done all this research on Hip Displasia (bear with me, this will come full circle!), and I decided that I needed to buy some supplement's for Bella to aid in the prevention of this problem.  Currently, I have Bella on three supplements: Glucosamine/Chondritin, Ester C, and Omega 3,6,9.  I had originally put Bella on Eagle Pack large breed puppy, but I didn't like how she responded to it (yucky BM's and itching).  In the process of trying to find something different, I read a few posts on Kirkland dog food, which many people here have had success with. I was drawn to try it partly due to other's experiences, but also because it was far less expensive. I did some research, contacting Diamond who is the manufacturer and I also had dogfoodanalysi s.com analize it for me. It's on their website and has been listed as a 3 star food. Just to give you a comparison, canidae is a 5 star food, eagle pack is a 4 star food, etc.  SO, although I know I'm not feeding Bella the best thing out there, I had to make a choice to be able to afford both a reasonably decent food and all the supplements I want her to have. I am a single Mom, so I can't really afford a $50 bag of food on top of everything else. Bella has done well on Kirkland (it's from Costco), but I often second guess myself and look around for something else to try.  The point I'm trying to make is that you have to do the best you can, and remember, virtually anything is better than Ol Roy! ;)  A lady at my work feeds her dogs canned food from the dollar store!!!!!!!!  Ughhhh, it's crazy.  Good luck with your choice. Just that fact that you love your puppy so much will make all the difference in the world.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Krista I

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 08:38:45 am »
Hey Krista, I looked it up and Ryan's Pet is located in Moncton and Saint John, I don't know if you're close to either but at my Ryan's the staff is very knowledgable and they carry many of the brand's that have been suggested as good brands for your Saint. So if he is picky you have options. Here in Guelph I get a deal of getting the tenth bad of Innova free which works out nicely. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you, everyone helped me out a lot on this subject.

You're from Guelph???  I used to live there  :D  I really miss it!  I live about 3 and a half hours from moncton, and even further from saint john, but I have a sister who lives in moncton, and she comes to visit me every two weeks.  So maybe i'll just give her the money and she can bring me my dog food every two weeks!  :D  That'll work out great!  Thanks for the info..... all of you are so great!!!  What would I do without ya's! :-*