Author Topic: frothing with new dogs  (Read 2710 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
frothing with new dogs
« on: January 16, 2007, 03:07:15 pm »
I have noticed that whenever Floyd meets a new dog, his jaw begin chattering & he froths at the mouth heavily.  I assume that this is because he's so excited, but I've NEVER seen a dog do that before!  He's not dog aggressive (or aggressive in general) and is always friendly to other dogs.  Any ideas why he might be doing this?
Thanks!
Jenn, Bo & Floyd 
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: frothing with new dogs
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 03:18:19 pm »
zero does this too, but his head pulses... it looks really weird. haha i dunno why he does it. he also does it if i pick a scab from his head LOL
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:45:05 pm »
Pepper, my Cattle Dog, did this too. It was kinda nasty, and she was so excited that she would end up flinging it everywhere or inadvertantly wiping it on the other dog (Bleck!)... it seemed to me like just an excitement thing and not agressive at all... it could have been anxiety too.  Anyway, the entire time I had her she never grew out of it. 
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 04:22:30 pm »
OMG!!  Tonka does exactly what you are describing!  He does it at my parent's house when he is sniffing the other dog's pee.  It is sooo gross, his lips are quivering and he is frothing at the mouth.  I have wondered what this was all about as well.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Pyr Pack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 05:20:48 pm »
Xena used to chitter as a puppy when I gave her something really good to eat.  I thought she was part chipmunk

Krista I

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 05:55:54 pm »
My shephard/lab Charlie does that too lol and here I was thinking he was the only dog to ever do that lmao....  the first time it happend, I was sitting on the couch watching tv, and I heard teeth chattering, I was like wth is that??  And I looked over and saw Charlie's teeth chattering after sniffing the cats bum lmao.. (bleck)!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 06:13:14 pm »
Teeth chattering can be a sign or nervousness or excitment. The foaming is usually a sign of excitment too unless they have just eaten something bitter, which also causes foaming
RIP former BPO

Anakalia

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:55:04 pm »
Koby does this frothy thing when he plays and it's hilarious!  He'll be running around and we'll see the froth start to build up then gravity slowly starts to pull it down his lips. hahahah  There have been so many times he's had white frothy streaks down his body or he'll have a HUGE white frothy slimeball hanging from his ears or streaked on his face!  ::)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 09:11:58 am »
mine do this when they get super duper excited!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]