Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 19561 times)

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Pet Insurance
« on: March 23, 2005, 05:10:39 pm »
Does anyone have pet insurance?  We are considering it, but I haven't heard much about it.  Is it worth it?

Offline raaleppo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Raaleppo Saint Bernards
Re: Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 05:18:39 pm »
I have been thinking about it as well
Ann

awo

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 08:51:50 pm »
Hello ann,
   The best advice I can give on that is to find a good vet first that accepts it.  If you can do that, then it is worth the monthly cost.  As we all know, our giant babies can have alot of health problems in their later years that add up.  I hope this helps. 

awo

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 12:49:45 pm »
I decided just to go for it.  I paid $300 for the year.  It seems to cover almost everything except pre-existing conditions of course.  Seamus isn't hip certified, and while his vet says he looks good, I figured you can never be too careful.  This way if something like that were to come up the insurance will take care of it.  I got it from petinsurance.c om if anyone wants to check it out.  I'll keep you all update on how I like it.

Jen

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 12:59:19 pm »
Oh yes please let us know how it works out.  My husband and I have wanted to look into it for so long we've asked people about it and most people roll thier eyes.  Thunder got a $400.00 cough last year you wanna talk about rolling eyes!

Jen

I decided just to go for it.  I paid $300 for the year.  It seems to cover almost everything except pre-existing conditions of course.  Seamus isn't hip certified, and while his vet says he looks good, I figured you can never be too careful.  This way if something like that were to come up the insurance will take care of it.  I got it from petinsurance.c om if anyone wants to check it out.  I'll keep you all update on how I like it.

Offline connolly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 04:13:31 pm »
When I registered our St. with AKC 2yrs ago I felt the insurance was rather expensive since we had such good luck with our last St. until his death at 12 yrs.
Sassy however tore a ligament in the deep snow this winter and the surgery for a cruciate tear was $3,000. We got a puppy Shamus at Christmas and I am definitely getting insurance for him. I suppose it's a crap shoot as to whether you will ever use it but it would have been nice in our case.  Best, Connolly
The older I get the less I know

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 02:14:57 pm »
When I registered our St. with AKC 2yrs ago I felt the insurance was rather expensive since we had such good luck with our last St. until his death at 12 yrs.
Sassy however tore a ligament in the deep snow this winter and the surgery for a cruciate tear was $3,000. We got a puppy Shamus at Christmas and I am definitely getting insurance for him. I suppose it's a crap shoot as to whether you will ever use it but it would have been nice in our case.  Best, Connolly
I hope it ends up being worth it.  We have already spent so much in just little things like ear infections, so I figured it couldn't hurt.  I'm worried that if he ends up having a heart problem that it won't be covered b/c we got the insurance too late.  Even if it doesn't, it will still pay for other stuff.  Let me know how your experiences with a new puppy go.  If we end up getting another dog, it will be very beneficial! 

P.s.  That is the sweetest picture ever!

Offline CDNSAINT

• Gnawer
  • SILAS
    • View Profile
    • Canadian Saint Bernard Club (starting)
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 09:31:36 am »
We purchased pet insurance (recommended by our vet) as a precaution due to the number of issues that may plague Saints. As t turns out, our boy has been diagnosed with CHD. He does not require surgery (yet?) but I am glad we purchased the insurance.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 01:24:55 pm »
We purchased pet insurance (recommended by our vet) as a precaution due to the number of issues that may plague Saints. As t turns out, our boy has been diagnosed with CHD. He does not require surgery (yet?) but I am glad we purchased the insurance.

First of all, your St. is beautiful!  As far as pet insurance goes, I've actually cancelled it.  I go to Banfield (at pet smart) and they don't except it.  We purchased a wellness plan with them that is up when Seamus is a year.  Until then we are going to continue going there b/c we get a discount.  After that I may consider researching a vet that specializes in big dogs, and hopefully accepts insurance.  I'm not sure though.  I've had a really good experience at Banfield thus far.  All the employees love him, and they seem to do a good job.  Let me know what you think.  Do you think it is better to have a vet that is specialized?

Offline Jerry

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 03:15:39 pm »
After a $250 hot spot, I am seriously considering it myself..

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 05:43:43 pm »
I wish we had gotten pet insurance. Liberty is 160 pounds of" loveable shorthair Saint". At 19 months old she had her first seizure. The vet diagnosed it as idiopathic epilepsy because they couldn't find any specific reason for the seizures. She will be 4 on June 3 and she has had 39 seizures to date. She is on $60 of meds a month and we had one episode of cluster seizures that we had to leave her at the emergency vet which was $400. Her seizures are always clusters so we have to give her valium.
She is our baby and we gladly spend the $, but it sure would have been nice to have a $300 a year insurance bill versus all the med bills.
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

awo

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 05:56:23 pm »
Liberty,
   I'm lucky, I think so far that Dudley hasn't gotten to the point where your baby is.  Would you mind telling me what happens when he has his seizures?  Dudley has started coughing and then he gets light headed and sometimes he falls over.  I'm just curious.

awo

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 07:15:19 pm »
She gets real stiff then falls onto her side and starts shaking, violently. Her teeth chatter, she paddles her legs, she foams at the mouth, her eyes roll back in her head(sometimes, but not always). On 2 occasions she lost bladder control. When it is over, she is very hungry. They say it is as exhausting as a human running the Boston Marathon. We give her valium right after the first seizure to avoid clusters.She then paces for at least 90 minutes. We have hardwood floors so after a seizure it is very hard for her to stay on her feet and once she slips and goes down it is very hard for her to get up again. We have several rugs that we lay out to make it easier for her.
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

awo

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 07:21:05 pm »
WOW!, I'm almost sorry I asked, but I'm glad your saintly love is able to handle it.  I will say that I give you kudos for being able to handle that, I don't know what I would do in your given situation.  I will say, from what you have told me, dudley doesn't have the same problem.  I also want to say thank you for being so kind and not giving up your baby, just because he is different.  Alot of other people wouldn't even think about doing what you are.  I wish your saintly baby and family good luck in the future.  I really wish there were more people like you out there in the world for animals.

awo

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 01:54:17 pm »
awo,
Thanks. I teach in a special needs preschool and giving up on Liberty wasn't even a consideration! :)
The cost per month is hard but we some how make it.
We have 3 human children :) as well. Our daughter is 25 and getting married on May 21. Our son is 23 and finishing his first year of Med School. And our youngest daughter is 16, a junior in High School and interested in the medical field as well! They all keep us on our toes and quite busy.
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix