Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 16447 times)

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Insurance
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 01:57:58 pm »
I am trying to post a picture of Liberty as a pup. I hope this works!
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline Gerty

• Gnawer
  • The average dog is nicer than the average person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2005, 08:16:33 am »
Hi.  I had a labrador retriever of excellent lineage (like THAT means anything) and I wish I had pet insurance for him when he was a baby.  Otherwise, I might be $6,000.00 + richer now.  This poor dog was so inflicted with illness....it was a relief for him when I finally had him put down at 4 years of age.  He was just too uncomfortable, and not himself for awhile before I made that step.  He had ear infection upon ear infection, ended up getting "elephant" ear - which is a roughening of the ear skin, stinky as anything, and raw!  He would make his ears bleed by throwing his body down on the ground, grass, whatever he could to scratch them because he knew I didnt' want him to use his paws.  As it was, he had to wear an elizabethan collar for a long time to keep him from ripping them to shreds.  On top of the ear problem, he had an exceedlingly low immune system, kept getting allergy attacks that made his ears and eyes swell up (from the dust mite, potting soil, strawberries and tomatoe plants).  It was very sad, however I would have kept spending that money if it only meant he would be comfortable and happy.  I now have VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance) coverage on my 2 dogs and 2 cats.  Even though a vet's office might not accept it (like people health insurance) you pay up-front, and get reimbursed later by the insurance company.  It really does cover all their "normal" visits like basic shots, heartworm/tick/flea preventative measures, and you can purchase a rider for cancer coverage in case they get cancer later on in life.  It is worth it if you anticipate that if your dog were to get hit by a car (god forbid), would you really spend about $3 - 5k to mend them out of your own pocket?  If you have deep pockets, and can afford such things, then it might not be for you.  I on the other hand - don't know if I'll have that kind of cash sitting around for just such an emergency...so the insurance means my girls will all get medical treatment when they need it...not when I can afford it.

Good luck.

Cheryl

Gertrude and Caper's mom.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 11:16:30 pm »
We go back and forth on this issue. The ER vet bills stink because they are so overpriced, but I just don't know for sure how comfortable I feel with the pet insurance alone. I doubt this is a possibility, but has anyone ever heard of adding your pet to you personal human insurance policy? It would sure make it easier to know that his coverage would cover everything!  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 05:54:56 am »
I just read that if you have AAA, they have an insurance policy that also covers your pets.
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 08:01:30 pm »
If it makes you feel any better, I have had pet insurance on all my Newfs and our latest one (who is a rescue) also has idiopathic epilepsy.  The insurance company has paid for exactly nothing.  Another way to say it is: $00.00!!!  They didn't pay for the diagnosis, treatment of the neurogenic pnemonia, nor any of the medications!!  They also didn't pay for my first newfs hip replacement surgery.  My emergecny vet as actually recommended that I cancel it because the insurance company will blame any of my epi-boy's medical issues on either the epilepsy or the medications.  It probably good for accidents...bu t the giants don't seem to have too many accidents...ju st really expensive congenital problems!!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 08:24:50 pm »
AAA will cover a pet???? Please tell me more!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 05:04:59 pm »
Liberty,
   I'm lucky, I think so far that Dudley hasn't gotten to the point where your baby is.  Would you mind telling me what happens when he has his seizures?  Dudley has started coughing and then he gets light headed and sometimes he falls over.  I'm just curious.

awo
Awo, have you had Dudley tested for heart disease?  When Seamus' heart murmur was detected the vet asked if he had any coughing, inappropriate heavy breathing, or light headedness.  It is definately something you should check out.  Other signs are light colored gums, and lethargy.  My vet said we should watch it, as it is really common in large dogs.  However, if it isn't in their family there chances are a lot less.   I'm sure he is fine, but I just wanted to let you know what I learned, just in case it helps. 

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2005, 04:56:35 pm »
Does anyone have experience with Sheltercare?  I received a free month because Illinois Saint Bernard Rescue, where we got Crede, lists animals on Petfinder.com, and they foot the bill for the first month.  It's something like $10 a month to continue it. 

Anyone?
God help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.