Author Topic: Expecting newfie pup- advice?  (Read 13877 times)

Offline mautz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Expecting newfie pup- advice?
« on: July 06, 2005, 08:19:26 am »
HI, I'm new here.  Also, first time posting ANYTHING!  After many months of waiting our family is finally four weeks away from our new puppy.  As I am trying to prepare for his arrival I feel overwhelmed at the options- crate, food, bed, dishes, grooming tools, toys...  Can someone please give me some recommendation s.  We live in a house with a good sized fenced yard.  We have three young children, and one very small three year old black cat (poor thing doesn't even konw what is coming).  I am planning to crate train.  
My main question- what do I need to have when our puppy comes home?  Is the biggest crate I can find with a divider the way to go?  Should I get a small bed yet- or just a pad for the crate?  What size collar fits an eight week newf?  Which toys and grooming tools work best?  Finally I hear a lot of different things about food.  My breeder uses a premium large breed puppy food.  But I have heard of people  who feed veggies and others things also- what is the thought there?  Any help or advice would be so helpful!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Expecting newfie pup- advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 05:10:29 pm »
How exciting! Puppies can be a lot of work, but they are so rewarding. Make sure to post lots and lots of pictures when you get him/her! Everyone has their own oppinions about how to raise and train their dogs, so you will get lots of different ideas about any question you ask. Don't let this overwhelm you or take away from your excitment about the new pup. Just listen to it all and then take whatever ideas sound best to you.

Here's what I personally would put on my pre-puppy shopping list:

* Crate - I think the big crate with divider is the way to go. There are two reasons: 1, you'll save money by not having to buy another crate later (your pup will grow quickly, expect about 3lbs a week), and 2, because of the divider you will be able to adjust the size better as the pup grows (they need to have enough room to lay down and walk around a little, but not so much that the pup could pee in one corner and sleep in another).

*Bowls - eventually you'll need big bowls (most people go elevated too), but for now you only need small ones on the ground. I would go get one of those cheap plastic double feeders. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it since you will be switching to bigger and higher ones fairly soon.

*Buckle collar - get a small adjustable collar that is thick enough to be comfortable on a big dog. Make sure it is nice and sturdy, but save your money and don't bother buying a fancy decorated one, because the pup will outgrow it soon.

*Leashes - I like the regular nylon leashes, but you may like retractable ones better. Whatever you decide to get, I would suggest getting a spare so that you don't have to worry about your only one getting chewed or peed on by the pup, and also in case one gets misplaced you won't have to go searching through the house just to take the pup out.

*ID tag - once you actually get the pup you'll have to get a rabies vaccination  tag and dog liscence for the dog to wear, but you will also want one of the normal id tags that has your address and phone number in case the pup ever gets lost. You can get one of the instant-engraved ones at petsmart, but I have tried them and they flake off and become useless very quickly. I prefer the plastic ones you send away for because they cost the same but last so much longer. I suggest ordering one once you have decided on a name (whether thats before or after the pet comes) because they take a week or two to come in the mail.

*Beds/bedding - I would suggest getting something soft for the pup to lay on, especially if you have hard floors in your house. But like jacksmom I suggest you stick to something cheap for now because the pup will end up ruining whatever you get with accidents or chewing. Also, I highly suggest giving the breeder a blanket to put in with the litter for a few days before you take the pup. The scent will be very comforting to your pup on those first scary lonely nights at your house.

*Sour apple spray - sour apple spray is harmless, colorless, and odorless, but most dogs hate the taste of it. Buy a bottle and spray it on whatever you think your pup is likely to try chewing but don't want them to chew.

*Disinfectant and carpet cleaner -  It's pretty much inevitable that your pup will have accidents. Be prepared to clean and disinfect, and don't use an ammonia-based product (the smell will remind the pup of pee and make it want to pee in that spot again). I personally like clorox bleach wipes for wood floors and petastic for carpets (it was previously sold as natures miracle, but now the formula people think of as nature's miracle is sold as petastic and nm is a different forumla). I also like 'resolve spot magic' for tough stains. And buy lots of paper towels.

* Poop bags - if you plan to use plastic grocery bags, start collecting them now. I personally prefer to buy the ones that come in pocket packs because I never have enough useable grocery bags and hate having to always check them for holes first.

*Treats - for training you will need tiny treats that the pup can eat quickly. I would suggest soft ones, because I found that zoey would take forever to eat the hard ones with her baby teeth, which made them bad for training. I used little tiny jerky squares and also the biljac soft treats (zoes LOVED those). Bits of cut up fruit/veggies also work for some people. You'll also want a little container (a ziplock bag work fine) that you can keep in your pocket for potty trips.

*Toys - if your dog is busy chewing on a toy, he won't be chewing on your clothing/furniture/etc. Get a wide variety to keep it interesting for the pup. Just keep an eye on the pup when they are eating anything that they can break off a peice and swallow (ie stuffed animals or rawhides). I would suggest you stay away from greenies which are made predominantly of wax and easily swallowed.  Zoey's favorite chew toys were soft rubber squeekera and bully sticks.

*A brush - a simple cheap brush is fine for now. You just want to get in the habit of brushing the pup regularly. This will not only keep his fur nice, but it is also a great bonding activity. When you brush the pup, gently touch all over, including paws, ears etc. It is good to get the pup used ot being touched now, because if they grow up thinking that being handles is a positive thing, it will make vet visits and grooming much easier later.

*Ear cleaner and dog toothbrush- getting the pup used to having their ears and teeth cleaned from a young age will make it easier to do once they are big enough to struggle with you if they don't like it.

*Shampoo - your pup will probably get into all sorts of messes and will need to be bathed. If your pup is like my Zoey, who managed to get into a smelly messes constantly so that we had to bathe her practically every other day, you will need conditioner too so you don't dry out their skin.

*Food - eventually, what food to feed will be a big decision for you. But for now, it has already been decided. Buy a big bag of whatever the breeder is already feeding, and then you have until the bag is almost empty to decide what you want to do. Whatever you choose, make sure that you gradually change the food - switch about 10% a day.

*A good vet - since you already have a cat, I assume you already have a vet that you like. Make an appointment with them for a new puppy check up. They will check the pups health (should be good since you're getting it from a groomer, but you never know for 100% sure). They will also answer any questions you have and put you at ease about any concerns. Mine also gave me a big goodie bag full of pamphlets and samples for new pet owners.

*Baby gates - you probably have some already from your children, but if not, go get some sturdy ones. They are really important for keeping dogs in the rooms where you want them.

That should pretty much cover you for your new arrival.

Oh, and one more necessity: a digital camera to post pictures on BPO  ;)
RIP former BPO

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 05:11:52 pm »
Please take a look at my puppy training article on the general board titled

PUPPY TRAINING 101

congrats and good luck with the new(f) arrival.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 09:12:09 pm »
Alot of good advise was offered!...I just want to add...ENJOY!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 09:41:57 pm »
How wonderful! A new Newf puppy. I am super jealous. Promise to post tons and tons of pictures! I guess everyone said all you need to know but here is my special little ingredient- spoil the heck outta your new baby. Nothing is cuter than a Newf pup...afro and all!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 02:54:44 am »
Congratulation s!!  Oh I love Newfie pups!!

I have a suggestion no mentioned here.  Put any thing not attached, that can be knocked over, plants, fragiles, and etc totally up.  I mean up up.

Their tails wag like mad and are cute as anything,  but have the strength of a baseball bat!!
Yes, a puppy.  I'm not joking.  And they get larger and stronger as they grow!!
luvmenewfs

Offline yogibear

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 02:37:21 pm »
 :D   Be sure to pay close attention, because Newfie's grow at a rate of 1' per minute......bu t seriously, enjoy every second of puppy-hood because it goes away much too fast! Most of us forget what that puppy breath smells like, what those sharp liitle teeth feel like, and what that pee on the carpet looks like. Have fun! :P

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 06:36:18 am »
Ya know this sounds terrible but I kinda miss the peepee on the carpet trick!

Oh, I so love puppies!!!  And love em just as much full grown.  But boy I love puppies!!  I mean really who doesn't!

Luvmenewfs

Edited to add:  Don't get me wrong.  I say all this with absolute fondness.  Newfies are the most wonderful experience you can have, if you don't mind the training! 

The best advice I was given was to roll up a newspaper and everytime puppy had an accident or got into something, beat yourself in the head repeatidly for NOT paying attention!!
They are wonderfully mischevious!!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 06:41:41 am by luvmenewfs »

Offline ksullivan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 10:31:24 am »
I have had less trouble with my large dogs in housetraining than with my little dogs, a friend of mine who raises labs agrees with this. My Newfie, and my Akita were never a problem as were my Shihtzu's.
One thing, if you haven't had a Newfie (this is my first one) you may not need it for awhile, but when it starts matting, Tail and Main is the greatest for getting mats out!!! You just spray it on the mat, and comb, and they come out so much easier!!
Ksullivan
P.S. Watch the furniture, my Newfie is 14 months old now, and is calming down, but he chewed my footstool up.

Offline mautz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 02:45:15 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.  I will send pics as soon as I have some.  Right now I just have pics of the litter and I can't tell which is ours.  I talked to the breeder today.  He goes to the vet on Monday and comes home two weeks after that- the first of August!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 08:23:27 pm »
My Newf puppy is 5 months old today and I agree with everybody's suggestions, but I would also suggest getting the Monks of New Skete's book on dog training.  We have followed it to the letter and Chester, the brown baby, is doing SO well!  One of their books is called "How to beYour Dog's Best Friend"....Wonderful!

Offline mautz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 08:36:23 am »
I've been looking at everyone's post's about when their puppies are coming.  Our can come home a week from today- but he is flying so it all depends on the weather!  I finally have a picture- he is five-and a half weeks in the picture.  His name is Duncan.  We are so excited!!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 08:41:01 am »
There is some good info in the Monk's books, but I have a problem recommending them because they do advocate hitting a dog.

Granted it's for "serious" infractions, but I have a real problem with that part of their "training", so I have not been able to recommend their books for some time.....
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline mikesroth

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 10:02:48 am »
We are getting our Newfie Puppy next month.   ;D  We are going to call him Harry.

Newfie on the Way.....

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 10:43:17 am »
People, this thread has exceeded the maximum cuteness level deemed appropriate for human safety!  Proceed at your own risk!   ;D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*