Author Topic: Hi I am new to this site  (Read 6984 times)

Offline mellanie98

• Gnawer
  • tess
    • View Profile
Hi I am new to this site
« on: January 21, 2007, 04:57:37 pm »
Hi alll, I am melly, I have two 13 week old newfoundland sisters, and they are soooo lovely. Misty is landseer and tess is black with white flashes. I had some problems with tess being abit moody but shes over that now! the newest trouble i have is lead pulling... they have only just started to go out for walkies on thursday and misty has already put my other halfs back out! Anyone got any ideas on what i should do to stop her? she seems very stuborn lol!!
melly x

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Hi I am new to this site
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 07:39:28 pm »
Hello, and welcome!!! :)
Congratulation s on two Newfy babies! I am looking forward to seeing pictures of them. They sound beautiful!

My name is Amy Lynn and we are looking forward to bringing a Newfy into our family this fall.

I know you will enjoy BPO! It is such a great place and everyone is so wonderful and helpful. I am sorry that I don't have an answer regarding the pulling on the lead, but I am sure that others will be able to help.

Again, Welcome to you and your Newfy babies.
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 07:50:05 pm »
WOW 2 babies  :o double the trouble, it must be sooo much fun watching the 2 of them together.
Hi and Welcome, really glad you found this forum, I've only been here a short while and let me tell you it is quite addictive. Everyone is super friendly and very helpful. Sorry I can't help with the pulling, have you tried a halti? I'm sure someone will be able to help you more than I, haven't had a puppy in 13 years. Can't wait to see pics of the girls soon. ~ Kim ~ mom to an old man 'Hoover' and a big EM girl 'Libby'
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline FumbsAuntie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 07:41:50 am »
Hi and welcome to Big Paws!! two newfy girls! Im jealous! I cant wait to see some pictures!! Im stacy the auntie to Fumble, a 1.5yr old Newfoundland boy! 
In regards to the pulling on the lead we got Fumble a pinch collar around 2 months and have used it since, he doesnt pull as much, we also have the gentle leader for when we take him to the beach and he gets really excited when he sees other people and newfs, that works wonders! we got that around 8 mnths. the pinch collar wasnt workign as well, but then again he did outweigh us by then! :)
Good luck!!

Offline Blair

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 08:26:14 am »
I have no advice for you but I wanted to welcome you to BPO!!! Cant wait to see pictures of oyur babies :)

Offline mellanie98

• Gnawer
  • tess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 09:04:14 am »
 :-*  hi all, thankyou for your welcome itt was lovely. i am very proud of my girls they are definatly the cutest dogs on our block!!!!  i will get one of those pincher leads if i can, hopefully thatl work, thankyou for taking the time to answer
melly x

Offline mellanie98

• Gnawer
  • tess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 09:14:31 am »
i have hopefully uploaded a picture ok!!! not very good at computers haha!! if the pic is there its one of my girls at 8 weeks! they are alot bigger now
melly x

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 09:24:34 am »
welcome!  i'm mom to axle (akita) sheeba (akita chow) diesel and scout (danes) and caine (pitbull) as well as two skin kids.  i'm sure you'll LOVE bpo!  with the pulling, our trainer told us that whenever they pull to come to a complete stop and don't move until they stop pulling.  it'd tedious.  it takes a while, but it does work eventually, and it has stopped all of our five dogs from pulling!  now we just have to watch for squirrels when we're walking ha ha.  good luck in leash training!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline mellanie98

• Gnawer
  • tess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 10:49:19 am »
hi im sorry its not a real good pic, its really hard to take pictures of tess cos she is just like a black blob lol!!! we are hoping for snow so we can get some better pictures!
melly x

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 10:53:05 am »
hi im sorry its not a real good pic, its really hard to take pictures of tess cos she is just like a black blob lol!!! we are hoping for snow so we can get some better pictures!

Welcome!
Your girls are so cute! Please post some more pictures!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 10:53:52 am »
Hi Mellanie.  I'm Misty owned by Gracie (8 mo. English Mastiff) and your girls are adorable.  I love the names too.   ;)  Welcome to BPO and I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline mellanie98

• Gnawer
  • tess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 11:15:19 am »
this is tess at 3 weeks
melly x

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 11:35:19 am »
Hi Mellanie, Welcome to BPO!!! This is probably the greatest site, everyone has alot of amazing ideas, stories and pictures to share! Im Jodi, Owned by Memphis, a 3 year old great dane, Zero a two year old brindle bull terrier and Jigsaw, our newest addition, 3 months of bullie h*ll! hahaha.
welcome. Your pups sound adorable :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 12:18:48 pm »
Hi Mellanie - glad you posted!  I had sent you a pm to say welcome when I saw the new pawprint.

I'm Sandy, and we have two big galoots.  Sheba is our 'little' girl - a 95 lb rottie/lab mix who is far more delicate and sophisticated than our newest baby.  Anna (who we call Anna Banana) is a landseer and she's somewhere about 115 lbs now I think.  We'll know more next week when we take her in for her spay!  We were told she was 10 months old when we got her from the breeder (she was going to be used in their breeder program but they thought her bones weren't dense enough), but just this week the breeder sent me an email saying her birthdate was actually October 2005 - so I'm trying to sort out how old she actually is!!!

We fell in love with landseers when we adopted our first guy, Barkley, from the SPCA.  Someone's inability to love the gentle giant was the best addition (ok, maybe second to my husband) to my life!  Newfs wiggle their entire bodies into your heart in a way that makes it impossible for them to back out gracefully!

I hope you will love it here at BPO!  Good luck with the leash training.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline mellanie98

• Gnawer
  • tess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 11:55:27 am »
hi, your dggies sound great awwwwww! these are the first newfies we have had, infact the first dog haha!! except for when my parents had dogs. My partner Malc has always been adement that we wasnt geting a dog, as we already have a bunny and a parrot. but he came home one day and decided to tell us that we was going to get a newfoundland! I remember going to see the pups first it was amazing, the mum had 9 pups. Malc had decided on a boy then he changed his mind to a girl and after visiting them a few times we decided to get 2!! They are sooo lovely though and everyone around here seems to love them too.
melly x