Author Topic: Piggie Paws  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Piggie Paws
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:20:02 pm »
Mack has been horking on the pig ears lately, and his formarly white front paws are now a reddy-brown stain...how do i get them back to white? we dont have a bathtub, so thats kind of hard. Any ideas?
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Piggie Paws
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 06:26:38 pm »
I think there is a shampoo made especially to clean white fur. let me check the name...
RIP former BPO

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:27:44 pm »
vinegar cornstarch and lemon juice, make it into a paste.  wash them, put it on their white parts, and then let it sit 10 minutes.  wash the areas you applied it to again.  it helps keep them moisturized if you use a cream rinse when you do this, because the cornstarch can make them a little dry, if they're prone to it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 06:29:11 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
RIP former BPO

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 06:48:20 pm »
the one i put is a tip from an akita breeder / shower and she uses it on all her akitas with white before they go in the ring.  i use it too, it works really well, and is so inexpensive!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 07:31:23 am »
Lola got a smoked beef bone yesterday and her legs are stained pretty much from the elbow down. She's messy. LOL

schelmischekit ty, Thanks for the 'recipe' I think I'm going to give it a try on her legs. I wonder though if that would work on tear stains too? Lola has a decent tear stain on her un-masked eye. It drives me crazy, but nothing I've tried even budges it at all. I was told by a maltese breeder to use a bleach mixture.. No way I'm putting bleach anywhere near her eye. This mixture sounds much safer, although Of course I'd be careful and not to apply anything too close to her eye.

angelsmama

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 07:43:54 am »
aww how cute , at least hes enjoying it  :) i cant think of anything to get them nice and white again. we always had luck with dotty keeping her pretty white coat

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 09:39:38 am »
it would probably work, i'd use a q-tip or something to put it on though, and make sure she doesn't rub it into her eyes. the vinegar may make her eyes water, though.  here's a good solution to use for tear stains.

Milk of Magnesia, corn starch and peroxide (20 volume to 40 volume)

Use equal volume of MOM and peroxide, and then use the corn starch to make a good paste of this; put on and work well into the stained area and let dry overnight. Wash out, CONDITION WELL. Keep doing this for several days until tear staining is gone, although I would recommend skipping a day or two between applications if possible. I also like to use a few drops of Nexus KerapHix in this mixture to help with conditioning.

This MOM formula is my personal preference when I do need to remove tearstain color from the face of my dogs.  It works quite well overnight.
http://www.bhejei.com/tearsta.htm

Counseling Clients:

Clients will naturally ask for advice regarding coat condition and general grooming problems, one of which is tear stains on white coated dogs. Suggest your customer provide bottled water only (preferably distilled) for his/her pet....seems mineral content in tap water may contribute to staining. Red dyes in some dog foods may also be a contributing factor. In addition to altering the dog's intake, it may be beneficial to use a tear stain preparation and/or to dab a little cornstarch on the 'tear path' in order to keep the area dry.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)