Author Topic: 1st Draft/Carting class Pictures! Copa the Newfie!  (Read 7346 times)

Offline raygoza6n510

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Copa & adidas
    • View Profile
1st Draft/Carting class Pictures! Copa the Newfie!
« on: January 21, 2007, 10:26:01 pm »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I am so proud of Copa! He did great, today was his first class and first time around 20 dogs all at one time. He did great! Getting him dressed was not as bad as I thought it would be. If you could believe it, not one of the other dogs distracted him! He did get a little spooked when a strange guy was following him pretending to be a cart. He did get over it and did great!By the end of the afternoon we were so excited that we forgot to take pictures of him pulling the cart for the first time :'(
I hope you enjoy the pictures and I cant believe my baby is going to be one already! :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 10:38:42 pm by raygoza6n510 »
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Draft/Carting class Pictures! Copa the Newfie!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 06:13:56 am »
The seminar looks as though it was a lot of fun.  Wish we could find something like that for Cirra.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 07:17:27 am »
That is so cool!  Great pics!  Tell us more about it!

I'm going to try to teach Teddy to cart.  Need to find a harness first!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline FumbsAuntie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 07:34:02 am »
thats awesome!! way to go Copa!! we joke about how all we need to do is hook fumble up to a sled and then he can pull us around when it snows!! :)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 07:42:35 am »
Where did you get the harness? 
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 10:10:57 am »
that looks like SO much fun!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 11:10:09 am »
Yay Copa!!!  Great photos! :)

Offline raygoza6n510

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Copa & adidas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 11:32:34 am »
Thanks for all of the great words!

Here is to answer the questions.

1. I am a member of the NCNC-Northern California www.ncnc.org  -Newfoundland Club and they have a wonderful woman hand  make all of the harnesses! She has the Spec's for all breeds. Plus at the class we were able to try on and buy if we liked!
Copa is in a XL size which fits him perfect BUT he is only a 1 yr old and will fill out to a XXL which thye make! there were Saint's there they also fit in to the Xl and XXL they really need to be tried-on first!There was a Rottie, Frech Bulldog, Husky, Malamute and very different sized Saint's and Newfies!

2. I learned that I know NOTHING! I trained my rottie but for carting you need the same respect and control as a working horse. And I gained it in 20 minutes!!! My boy liked to walk fast and circle around once in a while and sit when he felt like it. Well by only walking and changing direction by saying the direction he figured out that he needs to follow my body movement Not what he wants.
We did need to find command words for walk, stop, left, right, slow down, get the harness on and off. We are still working on it. Once we were doing it he never pulled and the walks we  take are so much better now!

If you can not find a local club think about making a weekend  out of it. there was two families from over 8 hours away that made the trip beacuse they could not find any thing in southern California for them!

All of the dogs did great. The instructors were Awesome! When there was a dog that was spooked they calmed it down and kept it going and shared lot's of stories of how several of the Chanpion titled dogs started training... they flipped the carts, did aligator rolls and screemed! This made me feel much better.
There is another class in March and a Test in April  here in N. California at Garin Regoinal Park in Hayward.

If you need to find more info check out your local training clubs or the AKC website there is a link to all of the clubs Also the Newfoundland Club of America has links in the US and Canada for clubs.

All you need is the basics and you practice at home with out the cart.
Good luck all!!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:39:16 am by raygoza6n510 »
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 12:23:12 pm »
That looks awesome. I'd love to do that with Bear.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.