Author Topic: a grooming question concerning double coats  (Read 9559 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
a grooming question concerning double coats
« on: January 23, 2007, 06:07:43 pm »
does anyone else's double coated bigpaw get knotted up super easy, esp after baths and when they're blowing their coat?  and does anyone know something that works to help keep it from happening?  axle already gets brushed, which takes forever b/c we go through about a 1 inch piece at a time to make sure we get them all, but i wasn't sure if you could use something like no more tangles, or if they made something like it for dogs.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Anakalia

Re: a grooming question concerning double coats
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 07:26:15 pm »
They do make a detangler/leave in conditioner for dogs but its mainly for long haired breeds, I'm not sure if it would work on Axle.  Have you tried the Furminator?  I've heard great things about it.  I always used to wash the dog first, use a creme rinse then brush the dog out after he dried and I never had much problems with knots in the fur.  Good luck!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 07:49:34 pm »
axle's hair is about 1 1/2-2" in the short places and about 3 1/2" around his neck, so it's not long but it's not necessarily short.  i haven't tried the furminator yet, but i plan to!  we do the rinse on axle, but even after he dries he knots up really bad.  i started brushing on him at about 6:30, and i'm just now finished at 8:45, UGH.  the good news is that he should be in his summer coat now!  at least i hope so, after a whole wal mart bag full of hair!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:49:59 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 07:52:51 pm »
I have about given up on Zoey. I cant keep her out of the creek- and she is getting matted up horribly- even though I brush her- As soon as it gets warm enough - she is getting shaved down.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 08:08:50 pm »
how cool!  the only reason i remember it is b/c when i was a kid i had hair past my butt and my mom would make me sit down for like 2 hours a night with it after i took a bath and would brush my hair CONTINUALLY b/c my hair knotted up real easy, being i was a kid and all.  boy, am i glad THOSE days are over!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 08:18:18 pm »
ha ha ha omggggggg i got the SAME lecture for years and years!!!  even by my hair stylist!  she knew my mom forever so they were best of friends so it was the EXACT same one, word for word! 
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 08:56:19 pm »
so true!  axle loves them, but unfortunately we can't use them b/c of our other dogs right now b/c diesel and sheeba still flip out when i pull it out (it's too cold outside right now they try to eat my door when i put them outside). the furminator is DEFINITELY something i'll have to look into though!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:57:35 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 10:07:45 pm »
steffanie you can always try my remedy,but I only use it when it is/was time to blow coat,as they call it.

When I had all my Collies once a year they would all blow coat and that meant lots of hair and mats and everything.

An old groomer  at the school I went to gave me this trick and it has always worked.At least with the long hair breeds I have had.

1st bathe them and then with (whatever creme rinse you want to use,,(back then I bought the cheapest by the gallon I could find) and from their head to the end of their tails soak them in it.And I do mean soak them in it.Gooey goupy and slick.

Now since it is winter  you would have to just have them wait the time,back when I used this method it was always spring or early fall.

So it was done outside. And after the soaking I would turn them loose.To run and roll and do whatever they wanted for about 30 minutes.

They get them back,and rinse rinse rinse,under the power spray and rinse and rinse more.The ones that liked to roll were then tied up away from the dirt and the others were turned loose.
IMPORTANT  make sure to get all of it out or it could cause iching.And we don't want that.

Within minutes my yard looked like it was snowing.With undercoat blowing all over the yard for later collection by every bird within miles.

Once dry everyone got put on the table and brushed and combed out whatever was left.Even if they were heavily matted and a few still hun on a mat splitter took care of that in no time.

Then I had Collies with long coats and practicaly naked underneath.

But it always worked.
Then it was back to about three brushings a week and they were good to go.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 02:12:23 pm »
I just recently purchased a furminator and it is the best thing in the world of grooming.  I use it on my newf, she is blowing her coat everywhere and this is helping get it all out.  It is amazing.  I thought I had to try it so I got one and its the best invention ever for double coated dogs.  I have even used it on my wolfhound, takes ant thickness out where I can't get it with a slicker.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 06:26:14 pm »
tricia thanks for the advice!  akita's blow coat TWICE a year, so basically they shed heavily all the time.  typically, we brush out a little every day, but with the move this summer and my youngest walking now... well, it's hard to do every day, although i would love to have the time.  you know, i've heard a few websites say that akita's have a "triple coat" but the akc says double, so i can only imagine that it's because of the amount of hair that comes off them that would make people say this.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 05:15:47 pm »
Is a furminator any different from those combs with metal teeth that you can get at Petsmart?
Rosie - Newfoundland