Author Topic: Glucosamine/Chondroitin ??'s  (Read 5118 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Glucosamine/Chondroitin ??'s
« on: January 27, 2007, 10:18:12 am »
I was wondering what kind of Glucosamine/Chondroitin you all give your dogs?? If you use human or dog brand?? Liquid,powder,pill,soft chews?? I have been giving Butt Human Spring Valley Soft Chews,but they aren't so soft.I tried one and it hurt my teeth,so I'm not sure Tub could even chew one.When I tok Tub to the Vets I asked him and he said there isn't enough research out to say human vs dog is better or worse then the other and gave me a couple pamphlets on dog kinds.I would like to have one that I can give to both my boys.So many decisions!!!Thanks as always.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

angelsmama

Re: Glucosamine/Chondroitin ??'s
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 10:22:18 am »
a site i use a lot for my furbabies is

www.shirleyswe llnesscafe.com

that's got a lot of good holistic pet care on it. it's got anything you could think of to care for your pets  :)

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 01:53:22 pm »
Very interesting! I'm going to check that out. I've been giving a combo of Glousamine Hydroclorid (1500 mg) MSM (1000 mg)White Willow Bark (100 mg)Ginger Extract (100 mg)Vit C (60 mgs). Twice a day. It's a "People Product" I just want to know that I'm giving the right proportions. Thanks!

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 02:24:16 pm »
Heather, do you get it from your Vet? Or online? I know mine doesn't have it in house at the Clinic. But Whisper is going in shortly for his neuter (quite a drive) so maybe I could call & ask him to order it to have on hand.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 04:43:05 pm »
I get is online - usually from KV Vet, Dr. Foster&Smith, or Amazon
RIP former BPO

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 07:55:35 pm »
We give Rosie two tablets daily of regular 'people' glucosamine and chondroitin, a total of 1500mg of glucosamine and 1300 of chondroitin. We just buy the big bottle of it at Sam's Club. We just mix it in with her dry food and it generally gets consumed with the rest of her food. Every now and again, we have to hand-feed it to her if she managed it pick it off from her bowl.

The vet also recommended fish oil with her glucosamine, as he thinks it helps with the absorption.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 01:05:25 am »

Glucosamine is one of those supplements that varies considerably in quality.  I do believe it is very important, especially since glucosamine is processed from shellfish, to ensure a good quality brand with strong efficacy and purity testing.

As a result, I always stick with human brands and have found Schiff to be the best tested/qualified.  I also really like Joint Rescue, by Ark since it also supplies Yucca, bromelain and other nutrients that are helpful - since they are soft, liver flavored wafers, my dogs get them as treats and they LOVE them.  Since liquid glucosamine is the most readily absorbed, I know many who like Syn-flex - which I think it also very effective, but I do not like to use every day, day in and day out due to the sugar content in the liquids - not good long term for dogs.

I know many dogs who react poorly to one brand or another due to the processing so you may have to try several brands to find one that doesn't cause itchiness and allergy symptoms. A common problem one is NSI, so I would avoid that one as well as low cost store brands that are not specialized in glucosamine and supplement testing. If there is a true issue with shellfish, some dogs require a "vegetarian" brand, of which there are several available online at www.vitacost.c om

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 08:32:26 am »
We give Rosie two tablets daily of regular 'people' glucosamine and chondroitin, a total of 1500mg of glucosamine and 1300 of chondroitin. We just buy the big bottle of it at Sam's Club. We just mix it in with her dry food and it generally gets consumed with the rest of her food. Every now and again, we have to hand-feed it to her if she managed it pick it off from her bowl.

The vet also recommended fish oil with her glucosamine, as he thinks it helps with the absorption.

same with fumblE! those sneaky newfS~!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 10:29:12 am »
We use NuPro and have been very happy with the results:

NUPRO JOINT SUPPORT can be beneficial for working dogs, athletic dogs, and senior dogs which may tend to have stiff and/or sore joints.

GLUCOSAMINE COMPLEX (500 mg. per scoop) is our own special formula that is an easily absorbed natural substance that stimulates the production of proteoglycans which help to maintain the health and resiliency of connective tissues and restores the damaged cells of cartilage tissue. Glucosamine complex helps promote the synovial fluid that lubricates the joints.

MSM  (300 mg. per scoop) is a natural source of bioavailable sulfur, essential for the growth and repair of tendons, cartilage and other connective tissues. MSM is also an anti-inflammatory agent.

Ester- C (300 mg. per scoop) boosts the absorption of the glucosamine complex and MSM and promotes collagen formation.

NUPRO JOINT SUPPORT also contains Norwegian kelp, Ground Flaxseed, Imported Nutritional Yeast Culture, Desiccated Liver, Bee Pollen, Garlic, Steamed Bone Meal, Lecithin, and Lactobacillus Acidophilus. NUPRO provides 16 vitamins, 15 minerals, 23 amino acids, 9 enzymes and 4 essential fatty acids.

What dog owners say about NUPRO JOINT SUPPORT:

Promotes hair growth Stops itchy, dry, flaky skin & hot spots
For energy and blood building Helps to repel fleas
Steady nerves for better disposition and alertness
Fertility in females & potency in males Combats allergies
Fat burner Improves appetite Aids in digestion
Can help artlhriticondi tions and joint pain Helps to strengthen the immune system

NUPRO is made with fresh, premium ingredients, that are human-grade quality NUPRO does not contain any preservatives, sugar, fillers, corn, wheat or by-products.

Most of the time we get it from PetVet Direct when they offer free shipping and and we use a 15% off coupon.

http://www.petvetdirect.com/home.asp?display=full&cid=0&itemid=NUPJTD020&itemname=Nupro+Joint+Supplement+%2D+20+lbs%2E

We used Liquid Health Level 5000 at one time; Tyra did great on it but Tucker's allergies/hot spots got worse.  The fact that it was a liquid was also a problem for us when traveling.

http://www.countrysidepet.com/objects/1313.itml/icOid/1313

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 12:18:35 pm »
Bella gets 1500 mg of Glucosamine with MSM (can't remember the amount of MSM) in a pill along with a balanced omega supplement (3,6 & 9's). I squirt the omega oils out of the pill and into her food and just toss the Glusamine supplement in there. I get both at Costco so they're human grade, which I just feel safer about becuase I feel like I know more about what I'm buying. They come in these HUGE bottles, and so last for a long time.  It's pretty cost effective, because the dog brands I've tried seem to cost the same, but come in a bottle that's 1/3 the size.  I had Bella on Ester C too, however, I haven't gone to buy more since I last ran out.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 09:58:35 pm »
How much fish oil do you give, and what form does this come in? I'd like to start adding fish oil but don't have much information on what form it comes in, where to find it, and how much to give.

Thanks for any added info!

We give Rosie 2000mg of fish oil a day. We buy the big bottle of it from Sam's Club (or Costco) and it comes in gel capsule form in 1000mg doses per capsule. So we just give her one capsule with each meal.
Rosie - Newfoundland