Author Topic: Itchy St. Bernard!  (Read 13189 times)

Offline critter crazy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Itchy St. Bernard!
« on: January 27, 2007, 10:17:10 pm »
My newest addition of 3 weeks, Rocky a 3 yr old St. Bernard, has started itcihing his back legs and belly area! I cannot get him to the vets till monday, so what can i do to help him now??? He is licking himself constantly! His fur looks a mess, and is already thinning! The problem i have is he wont let me look at what it is! everytime i try to look, he growls and pulls away! being that he is such a new dog, i dont want to push him, but i do want to help him! does anyone know what i can do to help my poor baby, and bring him some relief???
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 10:19:52 pm by critter crazy »
If there aren't any critters in Heaven, Then I don't want to go!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Itchy St. Bernard!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 10:24:43 pm »
You should deffinately get him to the vet since you don't know his previous health issues.

He might have a food allergy, he might have a pest infestations (fleas or mites), or he might just have a hot spot. I'm guessing it is probably a hot spot. Until you get a chance to get him to the vet, I would go a pet store and get a bottle of anti-itch spray (there are many brands - here is one example: http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=7953&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=itch+spray&sku=44121&familyID=7149& ). Another hot spot remedy that you might even have around the house is gold bond powder - sprinkling it on the hot spot can help ease it.

I would also consider throwing an extra large t-shirt on him. It won't cover his legs, but at least you can prevent him from biting at his belly.
RIP former BPO

Offline critter crazy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 10:35:58 pm »
Well i was able to look at his belly just a little, by his genitals, and it seems like he has little red spots, like a rash??? He dosent have any fleas i have checked him vigorously, and have had him on frontline since day one. I was thinking hot spot as well, but am just not sure. I have tons of anti itch sprays for dogs, and have spayed him, but i cant get to the sppots he is licking/itching the worst, he just wont let me. The worst spot seem s to be inside of his back legs, and the back of his legs under his tail. I feel so bad for him! I hate to see my babies suffer!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 10:45:09 pm »
The little red spots deffinately make me lean towards a pest infection. I am thinking maybe Demodex mites
RIP former BPO

Offline critter crazy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 10:48:25 pm »
I have never had a dog with demodex mites, nor have heard of it?? Is it contagious, will my other dog and cat get this??? i guess i wont realy know till i get him to the vet! argghhhh..why does this stuff happen on the weekends????

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 10:59:57 pm »
Demodex is a form of mange. Read this article about it: http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/dem.html

If could really be anything - I just thought of mites because of the itching, thinning hair, and spots.
RIP former BPO

Offline critter crazy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 11:05:26 pm »
it dosent seem like that is it. The red spos are very tiny, and there is no bumpiness to it. looks alot like a rash to me. teh hair thining, is where he is licking constantly, i am thinking his licking is causing that. i am just dumbfounded. ???

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 11:22:37 pm »

Given the location you describe, this is common for skin detox - usually this is a reaction to something internal and since you say you just got him, did he come through a rescue program or the like?  They often pile on vaccines, flea/tick chemicals, and heartworm pesticide and then add on to this the stress of change he is going through and reactions are common.

I foster dogs and this has always been the case with those - I use several different herbs in their food as diuretics to help expel and detox - my vet also gives me chinese herbs for this process and we let it run its course. I had one puppy who got these same tiny red bumbs on her lower belly and through the expelling process, they moved and traveled down her legs until they were gone. We make sure we do not give any more chemicals or drugs to mask the problem and let his system rest. I use Gold Bond's anti-itch powder to provide some external relief and bath in a soap free shampoo by Virbac - Episoothe.

If this isn't it, then external irritation is always possible...sam e premise though.  Chemicals, fertilizers, detergents in the carpet etc. can all be culprits.

Demodex does not manifest and present in this way so it is not that - and Scabies (sarcoptic mange) can be tested by doing the inner ear test - scratch the inner ear flap with your nail and see if he itches.....sca bies usually present first on the chest/front area however.

Good luck.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline critter crazy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 11:30:19 pm »
I got Rocky 3 weeks ago, from an older gentleman who could no longer care for him. The only things that have changed since i got him, was changing his dog food, as his owner was feeding a low quality kibble, I have also used frontline on him, the first week, to insure no fleas, I have also given him a bath, he got his rabies vaccine two weeks ago, and that is it.

oh and his ears are not itchy at all.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 11:34:56 pm by critter crazy »

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 10:51:44 am »
Shiner had itchy red bumps on his belly at the end of the summer.  It kind of looked like pimples or hives.  It turns out that he was having an allergic reaction to something.  I think it was the grass that he always lays in was dieing back and it was causing the reaction.  My vet put him on steriods and antibiotics.  He is fine now.  I hope Rocky starts feeling better soon.  By the way, welcome to the site.  Your guys are super cute.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline critter crazy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 11:14:14 am »
well the vet is getting a cal first thing tomarrow morning, untill then i will just leave well enough alone. I dont want to stress him out. we will just have to go from there.

Offline critter crazy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 08:47:50 am »
Rocky has an appointment today at 10:30 for the vet. I hope he can figure out what is wrong, and my poor baby can stop itching. Poor baby is so unhappy. :(

Offline critter crazy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 10:19:35 am »
Rocky And I are back from the vets, Rocky must have sat on something, and got an allergic reaction.The vet seems to think, that he has had this problem for a while. Unfortunately, we didnt know he was having a reaction, this weekeneds licking/itching was due to an Infection that had set in. What we saw, and this morning smelled was a result of him getting an infection in his back legs. So the vet gave him an Ijnection of antibiotics, and he has to take Cephalexin pills for the next 10 days. cost of total vet visit was 34$! I love my vet! he he he!

I was also able to get a Weight on rocky, he only weighs 128.7 pounds! The vet said he should at least be around 150. Even with his arthritis, which is doing very well. So we are still feeding him more food, until his weight is back where it should be. I will feel better once i can no longer feel his spine.

Rocky was a very good boy, and let the vet do everything he needed to without any problems, you could tell he wasnt enjoying himself, but i am very proud of him. My work is paying off! woohoo!

at the vet we got to meet a very aorable 9 week old female Saint!! She was the cutest thing in the world, and Rocky just loved her. We also got to meet, a Blue and Rust Doberman puppy!!! I had never seen one before, an it was the cutest thing ever. The poor thing was shivering the whole time we were there!

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 05:02:01 pm »
I'm glad to hear it went well at the Vets and Rocky is on his way to getting rid of the itchies!!! I remember when Butt got hot spots and wouldn't stop itching.I drove him around all night in the car,so he would rest until the Vet opened.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie