Author Topic: bernese in texas?  (Read 4196 times)

Offline jflesher

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
bernese in texas?
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:17:57 pm »
hi,

my husband and i live in austin, tx and we're considering getting a bernese. one of main concerns about getting any dog is shedding. we've read that bernese don't shed much.

- is it true they don't shed much?
- does anyone have one in a hot climate? does this make them shed more?

thanks for the words of wisdom!

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: bernese in texas?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:11:29 pm »

Please share where you read that Berners don't shed?  I am dying to know.....

This is my breed and in addition to my own, I foster working with Berner rescue.  They shed, and they shed year-round.  If you are in Texas, they will shed even more :)  If you do not like hair in your refrigerator, hair in your shoes, hair in your drawers, on your furniture and bed, in your food and hair on you....a Berner is not for you - or any frequent shedder.

We cover the dog beds and our own bed in sheets so that they can easily be picked up and washed, and leaving behind minimal cleaning. If I am going to have frequent visitors upstairs, then I may also covers my carpet with sheets for the same convenience - pick the sheets up and I don't have to vaccuum. Otherwise, the hair quantity can be so great that vaccuuming my bedroom alone can take 20-25 minutes to get it all up.  When I wash the sheets, all the hair does not come off.....they go in the dryer, where my vents fill up with hair, and I am still picking hair balls off the sheets coming out.  It is ever-present.

If you'd like, I am happy to take a picture of the typical hair quantity on my floors for you to see.

In addition to year-round regular shedding, they also blow coat at least once a year - often two - as has been mentioned.  This is a very heavy complete coat shed in preparation for new coat.

And I live in Orange County, CA on the coast - where it has been in the 40s and summers are often very temperate (usually the 70s) - all bets are off with global warming however so dramatic weather shifts cause all kinds of shedding impact.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: bernese in texas?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 04:28:24 pm »
In case this helps, here is the link to the National Bernese Mountain Dog Club Breed Profile:

http://www.bmdca.org/pages/profiler.html

And the FAQ series:

http://www.bmdca.org/info_sheets/faq.pdf
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 04:31:33 pm by sc.trojans »
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar