Author Topic: canine automotive leash laws  (Read 7061 times)

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
canine automotive leash laws
« on: July 06, 2005, 07:33:51 pm »
I was in Pennsylvania this past weekend and heard about a law they are trying to pass that requires owners to restrain or leash dogs riding in cars. I'm not really sure exactly how they worded the bill, but thought someone in PA could fill us in with the details. Are there any other states that require dogs to be strapped in while in transit?

jason

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: canine automotive leash laws
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 08:30:03 pm »
I think I answered my own question, but for anyone who is interested, here are 2 links:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/506.asp

http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2005/07/05/news/news01.txt

I doubt it would pass, but I imagine most of us Big Paw Owners wouldn't be able to abide.

jason

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 09:07:54 pm »
I do belt Samson in the car when we are out in my uncle's old convertable but that seat is HUGE!..lol..I don't think I could belt him into the bucket seats in my mini van...As it is he rides with his butt on the seat & his front paws on the floor.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 10:55:22 am »
California got another law recently.  It is another one that we must remember correctly or get busted.  :-\ If you have a dog in the back of a pickup, it must be tied unless it happens to be a working farm dog.

I haven't figured out how you can tell it is a working farm dog.  I have seen cow dogs in the back of trucks but I don't know how you would prove it is a working dog to a cop.  My dog is a working farm dog but she rides in the cab.  Guess maybe I will have to belt her in soon because somebody will pass a law on that too. 

I HATE these laws.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 11:16:42 am »
I have the dog harnesses that the seatbelt hooks through for my dogs.  It keeps them in their seats if I turn to sharply or slam on the brakes.  It also keeps them in their seats until I can get out and get their leashes on.  I love them.   ;D
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 11:27:54 am »
I think it is great that smart people like all of you belt your dogs in.

What I object strongly to is the fact we keep getting more and more laws that govern our entire way of life.  This is truly big brother.

Very soon, if you are a smoker, there will be a helicopter hovering by your front door and a cop on a bullhorn shouting "throw the cigarettes out the window and come out with your hands up".  I am no longer a smoker, however, we all have rights and stupid laws like forcing us to tie down our dogs keep creeping in on us.  Laws should be made to protect us from damage caused by other people's stupidity, not our own. 

Now I feel better pheew

Peggy

Peggy

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 11:55:08 am »
I agree with you Peggy on all these laws. They just passed one here in Edmonton that you can longer smoke in bars. I am an ex smoker so it doesn't bother me any but I think it is the dumbest thing ever! Its a bar that's what people do when they go to bars. Anyway, they are trying to make the whole city smoke free. You can't smoke in front of any public buildings, they are even trying to pass a law that if you smoke in your car the window has to be rolled up. My question is what police officer is going to go around making sure all these laws are being followed, do they have better things to do with there time????

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 02:12:14 am »
These "cops" should have better things to do with OUR money.
Peggy