Author Topic: Vaccination Problems  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Janisjin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Photos of Toku & Logan
Vaccination Problems
« on: August 03, 2005, 01:51:00 am »
Hi everyone:

I've been doing quite a bit of research on akitas in general and I keep running into the topic that akitas are highly succeptible to vaccination problems (and auto-immune diseases that can be triggered by vaccines). I have read that combo-vaccines are potentially very bad and life threatening to akitas and there have even been some mention that monthly heartworm pills are not recommended (daily heartworm pills should be used).

Does anyone have any personal experience with this or has anyone else heard of this? I'm not even sure my vet carries non-combo vaccines or daily heartworm pills... any info/advice/opinions?  Thanks in advance!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
-- Unknown

Offline zimas_mommie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccination Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 10:16:12 pm »
This is my first Akita and I dont know tooo much but I do know this...... They have just recently diagnosed my son with asperger syndrom.....my 6 year old ... that is the weakest form of autism. The dr.s are sayin that it was pos. caused by his vaccs... the combo vaccs....so Im guessing that it could be related in some way.... they are suggesting parents get there children one shot at a time!!  So I would do the same with my children and my dogs!!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 10:54:21 pm by zimas_mommie »
Nicole

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 10:50:27 pm »
Well, there has been a lot of studies and discussions about vaccination the last few years. They have done studies where they have seen that there is a higher risk for autoimmune dis. BUT I have consulted a lot of vets. both in this county and in sweden where I originally am from. The problem they mostly have seen in the studies are thyroids and it is in most breeds, it is still at a point where they can not for certain say if it is due to genetics in certain individuals or if it is a combination of the vaccine and genetics.

What several vets that I have spoke to regarding this, says that to cut short the puppy vaccinations is a way way bigger risk than the potential risks that could be from the vaccine. So always vaccinate the puppy shots, then the recommendation I have gotten is give the next years booster too, but always a one year booster. THEN after that, when you get to the second year of booster (not counting the puppy shots) it would be wise to do a titer and see what the immune system tell, you'll have to do two different titers to cover the info you need. The titers are approx 70 dollars each, but thats when they think it starts to get real important to check wether or not the dogs have enough antibodies or not. The risk seems to be when we keep giving boosters and they already have enough antibodies.

About heartworm meds. I have really not heard anything that makes me hesitate to give the monthly pill. If they do get heartwork that is a serious condition and a very riskfilled treatment.

I am not sure if it helped at all, I have several reports and articles I could send you if you would like to read more about it. pm me if you feel like some rather heavy reading  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 04:04:05 am »
Willow is 3rd generation vaccine free.  My breeder does not believe in vaccines.  I think that we vaccinate way to much....  Danes have (from what i have read) problems with vaccine related illnesses.  My vet and I had a huge discussion about this the other day because I really don't want to vaccinate.  She says she is kind of middle of the road - where she would start puppy vaccines at 14 wks and give each one 1 month apart with rabies being one of the last.  She only vaccinates for rabies (because of the laws), parvo, distemper and one other (can't think of the name)...Anyway, she says that after that she does titers and if they are showing an immunity then they do not get a booster.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 06:56:29 am »
I just read a story in Long Island Newsday about 2 weeks ago. A story about a dog in Maine or New Hampshire (wish I knew how to post the link) The state was mandating that rabies shots be given every year in order to be licenced. They have changed the law to 3 years now. They also discussed parvo/distemper boosters. I'll see if I can find the story newsday.com (Im at work now). My vet said that Chazzy (10yr gsd) didn't need a distemper booster anymore. I do shots every year & assume that they are necessary..are they?
Carolyn
Carolyn

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 07:18:45 am »
we get the 3 year booster...and the yearly boosters that aren't 3 year shots.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 08:22:31 am »
Which is probably parvo/distemper, they are yearly. I tried to find the article online, I cant. I did save a copy at home & over the weekend I'll try to get it in here.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Janisjin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Photos of Toku & Logan
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 02:06:14 pm »
Hi All:
Thanks for the info! From what I gather, it seems as if there isn't enough info to link the exact cause and so as a precaution, they suggest just separating the vaccines and separate rabies from the other vaccines by at least a week...I called my vet but she hasn't returned my call (she only works two days a week--what a great job!). I'll post more if I find out more from her, but who knows. I'll also look for that article on the Akita Club of America website...
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
-- Unknown

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 03:16:58 pm »
You should talk to Jens2Danes.  Her Duchess got VERY VERY sick after her vaccinations, they didn't know if she would make it.  Danes are also prone to Vaccinosis.  I have some Vaccinosis links if you'd like, and though they're for Danes specifically they can give you some of the info that you need.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."