Author Topic: Hartz flea & tick drops discontinued  (Read 4302 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Hartz flea & tick drops discontinued
« on: July 07, 2005, 07:32:23 am »
I know some of you also have cats:
Flea and Tick Drops Discontinued
July 6, 2005

Following a number of feline deaths, the Environmental Protection Agency requested the discontinuatio n of four lines of Hartz Advanced Careā„¢ flea and tick products.

These products may cause serious adverse reactions in certain cats, including young, small, or senior cats. Reported reactions ranged from hair loss, drooling, and tremors to death. Hartz Mountain Corp. has agreed to change the labeling on the remaining supply of the products in question and halt all new production. Ask your veterinarian about alternative products.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Hartz flea & tick drops discontinued
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 07:57:26 am »
That is scary Gypsy! That is really scary news. I can't believe something that is supposed to help so much actually hurts your animal that badly. Poor kitties.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 09:39:03 am »
I used there flea treatment on my cat once and NEVER again.  My cat started panting after 10 min that it was on her, she then started howling in pain and scratching, I looked at the area that I put the treatment on and it was bright red. I was so scared what had I just done to my little baby!! Crying I called the emergancy vet to ask them what to do and she said to wash off the treatment with dish soap and moniter her and bring her in if anything else happens. So I washed it off and thank God she was fine, I have never been so scared in my life! And now to know that it has been linked to deaths! I don't even want to think what could have happened. Now for any treatments of any type I just go to the vet.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 05:58:08 pm »
When I worked at the Animal Hospital we saw many severe reactions to Hartz flea drops on cats.Sometimes washing it off with dish liquid would be all that was needed other times they also needed supportive care, I am surprised it took them so long to take it off the market.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 02:57:10 am »
That was the first flea product I used on my cat when I moved here, we dont have the flea problem in sweden, if a dog or cat there has fleas it is a not cared for animal, so I was totally new to these products. My cat did that too, seemed to have "fire ants" all over and started to jump and act crazy, I washed her off and she was fine. Now I use Top Spot and it works well.

After all the posts here it is amazing that they have not been taken off the market earlier, it is obviously not an uncommon thing to get bad reactions from them.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog