Author Topic: Spay Coat - How to deal with it  (Read 17715 times)

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
Re: Spay Coat - How to deal with it
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 03:28:37 am »
I have never had my girls spayed as I have seen other Newf bitches who have been done, their coats seem to go dull and extremely thick :-[

We noticed that Kittens coat went dull after his elbow op, but that came back to normal a few months later... With a bath a grooming palour and lots of brushing!!!

Have you tried giving the dogs garlic to prevent fleas? We give garlic capsules to ours, and it does seem to work ;)

Hope you manage to get Sophie's nice soft coat back somehow.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 03:29:22 am by galaxybears »
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 07:52:44 am »
Well, I don't have any different suggestions about her poor coat, but did you consider the dreaded Avon Skin-So-Soft for the fleas?  I swear to god, that stuff is SOVEREIGN for anything to do with a bug!

If you mix it one parts SSS to 2 parts water, and use a really fine non-aerosol hairspray bottle/mister, it really does work.  Mom's used it for at least 30 years to keep bugs away from the camping gear and off the dogs when we go out in the woods.

And I suppose a little topical moisture from the spray couldn't help but soften her coast a little.   ;)
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 06:09:30 pm »
Do all newf girls get bad coats after they have been spayed?  Is it based on nutrition or genetics or both?  Lucy was spayed last month and now I'm freaking out that she is going to lose her beautiful coat!