Author Topic: Sorry its long - Thanks for listening  (Read 7336 times)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Sorry its long - Thanks for listening
« on: February 04, 2007, 11:28:27 am »
Well I have to say last night was awful  :'( While in chat with some of you I got a phone call from the friend we had dinner at. While at dinner she was telling me about her little Pug(Milo) that was at Vet emerg the weekend before and to their own vet acouple times that week. First thing hubby and I said was "wow he should be on some pain meds". She woke up to him screaming in pain(weekend before) ~ X-rays were taken, blood work,etc... sent home with Prednizone thats it WTH no pain meds? The poor boy couldn't turn his head, couldn't lay down or hardly walk, breathing was awful and he screamed in pain. The owner was soo upset, she didn't know what to do. I went and picked them up as she was in no shape to drive and took them down to VE. They remembered him from the weekend before ~ took his temp,weight(he'd lost 4lbs since the last weekend ~ down to 26lbs), heartrate etc.... very high and very noticable how uncomfortable he was, got an IV started for some pain meds which made a huge difference (cause now he was just seeing the nice colours of the rainbow) gave the owner some options on what it might be but couldn't tell her for sure, she didn't know what to do ~ I told her to look into his eyes is he still your baby boy? "No" was the answer and she knew what to do ~ her heart was breaking(this was her 1st time) I told her part of being a good mom is knowing when to let them go (:'( now) she said her good byes and left the room, asking if I could stay with him cause she didn't want him to be alone.... but she couldn't stay with him... what do I say? "Yes of course" the vet came back in and the 'end' was very quiet and peaceful. The ride home was very quiet except for her crying, before she gets out she says "Thank you, if you hadn't come over tonight I would have waited till Monday, I think deep down I knew he was in pain but didn't want to see it, I just wanted him to get better, I trust you". Now I feel even worse did I push her into having him pts? Am I an awful friend that has no heart? I have seen dozens of animals pts working for a HS, it's not the same as your own family member. I haven't called over today as I don't know what to say..... :'( RIP sweet Milo you were a very good boy and a loyal friend  :-*
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 11:12:47 pm by LibbyP »
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline FumbsAuntie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry its long - Thanks for listening
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 11:59:51 am »
I think that you did the best you could have done. The last thing you want is your animal to be in pain and suffer.. that is the worst. I think you did what was right. you are not an awful friend, you are actually a very good friend because you were honest with your friend and helped her so much! The best memories of your dog are ones where they are smiling, running, jumping, ect. not painful cries and winces.. you guided her into making the right decision..

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 02:51:55 pm »
I think you did a great thing for both your friend and for Milo. It would take a great friend to endure such sadness.

P.s BPO is so sad today, it's killing me :'(

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 04:50:19 pm »
Kim... you are a good friend and were able to be the voice of reason at a most difficult time! I have not yet been in your friend's position, but I know the day will come... and I can only hope to have someone like you with me to be MY voice of reason, for that is exactly what I will need... that I am sure!

My heart goes out to your friend and to you too!

RIP sweet Milo!

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 11:12:02 pm »
Thanks guys for listening to me, I talked to my friend tonight, she was quiet she told me she stayed in bed all day with her tiny Chi and cuddled, she is going to make a shadow box with some pictures and his coat and the vet last night called her they took a clay mold of his paw print for her ~ which I thought was VERY nice. Thanks again ~ support is what I needed today ~ Kim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 12:35:04 pm »
Kim, I only hope I have a friend like you with me if I am in that situation.

I agree with Tina. That's exactly what I was going to say. :)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 06:37:01 pm »
Kim like everyone else said don't second guess yourself.I can only hope to have someone like you by my side for support in a time like that.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie