Author Topic: I need some support  (Read 2267 times)

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
I need some support
« on: February 05, 2007, 09:09:19 am »
Hi everyone,
sorry I haven't been on but my computer got nuts and I had to bring it in. When I introduced myself I spoke about our dogue de bordeaux Maximus.
well we also have a mixed breed dog named Kimberly. she will be 13 in May.
She is our first dog and we are at a crossroads with her. I will try and put a picture of her so you see what I am talking about it.She has had these cysts on her body for a long time.They are getting very big.I am concerned that she is starting to have some dementia.
When we first got Maximus this August she wasn't thrilled at first but got to really be great with him. The last three weeks she has displayed some strange behavior. She eats his food and won't let him get near it.When she has a bone or he has a bone for that matter she has been curling her lip and snapping at him. He is very respectful(thank goodness) but my concern is that I have always been able to take things from her. Now I can't . Yesterday she took Maximus's bone and my son tried to take it from her and she curled her lip and snarled at him.
MY concern is that I do childcare and she will do that to the kids. My husband thinks I am overreacting but I am concerned.I will try to do the pictures now
thanks for the ear and the shoulder, I can't stop crying and I feel silly
Rachel in Vt

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: I need some support
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 10:01:04 am »
how long was she the only dog before maximus? 
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 10:12:25 am »
You have every right to cry and be upset this is YOUR baby becoming a senior girl, and with that comes the things old age brings along with it. She looks like a very regal old girl that still wants to be queen of her castle. I don't have alot of help to offer and I'm sure someone will come along with some helpful tips. It could very well be that her eyes and ears are going and she is being startled by this, could she be in pain from her cysts, if you put warm compresses does that help to relieve them? What has your vet said? Is she still active and eating playing etc...(IMO) I would keep her away from your childcare kids while they are at your home for her and their safety(it's one thing if she bites your child its another if she bites someone elses (how old is your child, and the ones in your care?) Rachel I feel you pain as my old man turned 13 in Dec, his eyes and ears are gone, and he has good and bad days. Wishing you all the best keep us posted, sending you a hug ~ Kim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 10:37:41 am »
Hi,
Kimberly was the only dog for almost twelve years.My son is 18 years old so he can take care of himself. The daycare kids range from 8 months to 5 years old.
My husband spoke with the vet. He said to keep her away from the kids because maybe something has changed with her chemically.
Also to feed the dogs seperate and not to have them have bones in the same room. I am tempted to get her a kennel. Maximus has one and she sneaks in there to steal his treats when he isn't looking.
I am concerned her cysts are growing in as well as out. She is eating fine(even though most times it isn't her food)I need to start watching to see if she is pooping alright. It seems like a big struggle for her.She farts all the time(SORRY!)
My dh wants to try and hold on to her till spring. He wants to bury her properly on our land.
This stinks!!!
Rachel in Vt 

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 10:45:17 am »
just a thought, but could it be that she's good with visiting a dog, but she may be a little jealous / insecure about her position in the house now since the younger / stronger dog has come to stay?  after all she was queen of the roost for 12 great years with no one around to question her position.  i agree with it could possibly be her health causing her to act like she is, but just thought i'd throw that idea out.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 10:51:58 am »
the funny thing is when there isn't any food around, or it's just kinda quiet, like in the evening they will lay on the couch together. They both sleep in my room head to head, but Maximus is now bigger than her, he is only 8 months old so he wants to play and she can't. When they go to our other property which is 10 acres they run around all over the place. If she is slow coming back Maximus will go get her. I don't want to put her down but I also have to be a responsible dog owner and childcare provider.
Rachel in Vt
p.s I will throw in a picture of Maximus just for kicks!