Author Topic: got my snake  (Read 2683 times)

angelsmama

got my snake
« on: February 05, 2007, 05:54:07 pm »
I went to get Bob today (he came with the name) and bless his poor heart  :( She didn't tell me until we got there he has a bad eye. He's blind in it and covered in scars from being fed live prey. I asked her how often she feeds him "He lets us know when he's hungry" How? It's not like he can bark or come up to her and say "Hey, I'm hungry, how about a rat??" >:( Poor baby will be getting a lot  better treatment here...

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: got my snake
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 05:58:08 pm »
Awww. poor little guy! what kind of snake is he?! I want pictures! LOL
Youre so wonderful for taking him in... Lots of people wouldnt take in rescued snakes... But, HOPEFULLY u can get him off the live food... ;)
good luck
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

angelsmama

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 06:01:51 pm »
He is a Ball Python, almost 7 years old and 4 feet long. I'll get pictures ASAP. It's POSSIBLE he may not be blind and it's just eyecaps from shedding that he didn't lose. Though she did say his eye got scratched, you can't even see his pupil, just a silverish tint all over it. He is very friendly though  :)

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 06:04:47 pm »
Awww.. im VERY against feeding live to snakes... I had to feed one of my lizards crickets, we put about half a dozen in her tank when we were going away for the weekend... we came back and the crickets had EATEN her... poor girl... And we had another one who was soooo fussy... and he would let the crickets climb him, and they bit his eye and we had to give him meds for it. stupid lizard. stupid crickets. SO- unfortunately, we DO know the effects of live feeding. And ESP with snakes, its MUCH worse... Can't wait to see pics of your lil  guy hahaha
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

angelsmama

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 06:14:23 pm »
too bad hes 3x's the size of my other male ball python :P i think they would enjoy each others company.

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 06:21:46 pm »
Ya Hoo for you and Bob ~ I'm sure he'll think he has died and gone to heaven at your home.  ;D
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

angelsmama

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 06:28:10 pm »
I'm going to give him a day or two to settle in here before I take his picture, the flash may scare him right now. He will definately be getting the  proper care. He's fat so they haven't let him do without, but the live feeding is horrible :( It tore him all up, scars and everything on him from it. There will never be a way to hide his scars, and the big chance of being blind is there, but that makes no difference to me. I think he's a beautiful boy :).

lorim2

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 06:32:17 pm »
Thats awesome that you saved him!  I also do reptile rescue.  I love it. Not alot of people understand that but I have always had a love of reptiles and have passed that on to my daughter!  We currently have 9 snakes from 2 feet to 7 feet, 3 lizards and a parrot!  And of course Bindi our coatimundi..I am going to Houston this weekend to pick up another rescue...Its a 6 ft Brazilian Rainbow. I am so excited..I am hoping it will complete a breeding trio!  woohoo...Good luck with Bob though because Balls can be very finicky eaters!!

angelsmama

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 06:46:16 pm »
I hope I won't have too much trouble switching him over to prekilled. He has been eating live all his life and he is 6 1/2. Hydra has always had prekilled and he's nearly 2 so he's not a problem. I'll put a couple of pictures of my boys on here :P 1st is Hydra. 2nd is Bob, you can't really see his scars in the picture though, picture they emailed me of him.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 06:50:45 pm »
Wow. look at those beauties. When i was workin in the pet stores we had Balls in, and i LOVED handling them. they are so sweet... I love snakes but cant stomache feeding them. lol. but one day i would LOVE a california kingsnake. those are gorgeous. we had one in the petstore also i almost nabbed him but someone spent like 3 grand on his set up and stuff, so they picked him up before i made my decision hahaha. Thanks for postin pics:)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

angelsmama

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 06:53:56 pm »
yes cali kings are BEAUTIFUL.. the black and white banded is my fav though gray banded is pretty too :)