Author Topic: Anna spay today....hopefully  (Read 4609 times)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Anna spay today....hopefully
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:28:59 am »
So I dropped Anna Banana at the vet this morning, in the hopes that we will leave this evening with a spayed dog!  She loves going to the clinic because they love her up so much.  I'm a bit concerned that she might be close to another heat though - she's been exhibiting some hoochie girl behaviours of late - scooting her butt up against the fence when the intact males from the house next door are outside.  I swear.  I cannot go through another heat with her!  She's way more high maintenance than any woman i know!!!  :D

We're also having her x-rayed while she's in there today.  I want to get a read on her joints.  You may remember that she bruised her right shoulder a few weeks ago.  Although she's no longer in pain (no crying or wincing) she is still limping at times and that concerns me.

It's going to be a long day!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Anna spay today....hopefully
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 07:46:58 am »
Ok....that didn't take long.  They just called and said the cytology (sp?) shows that she's about ready to go back in heat so they can't perform the procedure today.  They were amazed at this, given that she just had a heat in late October!  What are the odds??? Oh well.  Guess who gets to spend the day at her favourite vet clinic getting loved up on my dollar??? lol
Sandy

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:30:22 am »
Awww well she can pretend she is at the spa for the day.

Sorry that things didn't go as planned - keep that girl inside away from all those nasty boys!!

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:36:31 am »
Thanks.....let's just hope my husband finds the patience to continue to have Anna as part of our family.  His frustration level with her behaviour of late has been high.  I haven't posted much about it, but she's been chewing things up in the basement which is where we leave both dogs during the day while we're at work.  I'm going to start crating her again, which she hates, but I think it's the only way for us to have positive experiences when we come home.  Adding this going into heat and having to deal with the diaper thing again is not going to make him happy. 

Men.  I wish they had to experience a period.  Just ONCE. lol
Sandy

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 12:55:06 pm »

Men.  I wish they had to experience a period.  Just ONCE. lol

Sooo true!  Sorry things didn't work out today.  I have never been through a heat -it does not sound like fun!  Ican't imagine my girls being more moody than they already are!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 02:28:31 pm »
Sorry it didn't work out for her spay today. Just make your husband look on the bright side, at least she doesn't go through heat once a month.  :)

As for the chewing, I totally understand. Harley was crated until just recently because of that reason. We crated her until she was 2 1/2 years old. (She'll be 3 this June) Now we are going through this with Remi, he is crated as well. Even when he is not crated he gets into everything! But what can you expect he is only 9 months old.  ::) I'm sure everything will work out with Anna bannana. Give her big kiss from me.  :-*
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

k2campbell

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 08:17:00 pm »
Sorry to hear the spaying didn't work out, and I hope Anna stops chewing on stuff for ya!  I agree with you though, crating her again should help, or at least maybe teach her she's not behaving as you'd like when she's loose. 

And as for hubby - tell him to switch places with you next month and suck it up!  Ha ha... ;)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 01:16:41 pm »
No...they didn't do the x-rays.  I crated her this mornign when I left,and MIL was spending a good part of the day there, so I asked her to let her in and out of the crate a few times so it didn't feel like punishment.  I don't think she's had crate training per se, so we'll see how she is when I get home.

Now they're thinking that perhaps she's not going INTO heat, but is just not far enough OUT of her last heat, which is why the tests showed what they did yesterday.  They want me to bring her back again next Wednesday for another check.  If it looks as if that is the correct theory, they'll keep her and do the surgery.  Either way I want them to xray her next week.

And just please say a prayer for patience for my husband.  I worry that he's starting to rethink Anna joining our household.  She peed on the carpet this morning - and he was so frustrated.  To be fair, we're not spending the time with her that she needs, and I am adament that a dog will NOT be made to pay for something that is our own doing...but he and I don't see eye to eye on that one all the time.  He ventures into the "it's just a dog" land every once in a while, and since poking him in the eye with a sharp stick when he does that is not an appropriate response, I have to find other way to respond.
Sandy

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 03:21:26 pm »
I think that he has to remember that she is still a puppy, and puppies have accidents. I find that people tend to forget that giant dogs are puppies for much longer that smaller dogs.(Maybe gently remind him that Anna bannana is still just a pup) 

Remi had an accident on the carpet the other day and I blamed myself not him as he ran to the door and I didn't get up off my butt fast enough to let him out. Opps my bad.  :-[ I sucks but they do have to be let out more often that our adult dogs. Hang in there I'm sure he'll come around.  :)

Nina  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)