Author Topic: are you kidding me???  (Read 7983 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
are you kidding me???
« on: February 07, 2007, 09:39:30 pm »
Omigod, i did a search on the web for great dane/lab mixes, because that is what Dasher is and i was hoping to find some pics of dogs like him so i could get a better idea of what he might look like and how big he might get. well, i came across information on "labradanes", a lab/great dane hybrid. how ridiculous! all these hybrids *ahem* mutts, are just getting out of hand. i mean, dont we have toooooo many animals in shelters and without homes to be intentionally breeding mutts??? it is really absurd and annoying to me.i had never heard of a "labradane" before -but it turns out i have one, lol. but mine was a rescue and im quite sure unintentional. i just cant believe all these mixed breeds that are gaining popularity. will it ever end???

Leah

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: are you kidding me???
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:48:48 pm »
It really is awful that people are purposely creating mixes for profit.  That said, my uncle also had a lab/dane mix (an accidental mix) and he was a wonderful, gorgeous dog.  I am always looking on Petfinder to see if I can find one that looks like Midas did.  Of course, none do b/c you can't figure out what traits of which breed a mix will have-something these "designer breeders" do not understand!  I saw an ad for Puggles last month (pug/beagle mixes) that stated "great dogs with the look of a beagle but won't wander like one b/c they have the pug's lapdog tendencies"- how could anyone take that seriously?!  Uhg!  Anyway, I'm sure your "labradane" will be beautiful no matter what! :)
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 09:57:58 pm »
This designer dog stuff is just plain stupid. ??? ??? ???  Not only are there too many unwanted :'( designer dogs/mutts, but how the heck can anyone say/guarantee a dog will take on trait over another... I guess stupid is as stupid does! >:(
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005

Offline critter crazy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 06:34:19 am »
Uggghhhhh...De signer breeds is one of the things that annoys me the most!!!! Just open up yur newspaper to the pets section! it is disgusting!!! Did you even notice, that the new Monopoly game has a labradoodle now, instead of the Scotty?? Gee, lets just make everyone want a designer breed!!there is even now, magazines specifically for Designer breeds!
If people want mutts they should just go to a shelter!
I have no issues what so ever with mutts, I have owned many, i have a problem with them being bred specificaly to be sold for tons of money, just because they have a cool name! >:(
If there aren't any critters in Heaven, Then I don't want to go!!

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:58:51 am »
OH tell me about it!  I opened up the newspaper this morning and here's a list of "designer breeds", yorkie-poos, cock-a-poos, shorkies, cavachon, chavacocker, and tons of puggle puppies.  That's just a short list there were many more, most being from a petstore!  I decided to go to the petstores website and right on their front page they have an advertisement about "Stopping Pet Over Population"!!!!  They also charge anywhere from $300 to $700 for these designer breeds.  I used to have a lab/chow mix and she was an awesome dog, she was a rescue and I didn't have to pay anything for her.  In my area I've also noticed a big increase in poodle mix dogs in our local shelters, which makes me really upset.  :(

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 10:35:29 am »
Glad that im not the only one annoyed by all these hybrids! i, too, have NOTHING against mutts (afterall, 2 of my dogs are mutts ;D ). but i do have a problem with overbreeding and irresponsible breeding, and that is what i think is going on. a pet store nearby where i live is FULL of these hybrids and they  cost a lot of money. and the crazy thing is -PEOPLE ARE PAYING THE PRICES! and in the meanwhile, there are hundreds and thousands of innocent animals in shelthers being euthanized because there are simply not enough people to adopt them. i'll never understand it.
Leah

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 11:59:36 am »
Heheheh, you're up with the 'trend' and didn't know it.

What bugs me the most is that people are charging a lot of money for these 'designer breeds'.  The only store in my area that sells Jack's food also sells puppies.  About half are Puggles, Labradoodles, Shihpoos, and Terrapoos (what the heck that is, I have no idea).  Each and every time I'm there with the kids, they want to look at the puppies.  And each and every time, I simply can not stop myself from saying (somewhat loudly) "They want $700 for a Mutt?".  And then I tell the girls that if they want a Puggle or a Labradoodle, go to the nearest shelter and rescue one.  I know, it's a waste of time, but I just can't help myself.

hahahha, I love you, Tina. You crack me up!

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 12:02:59 pm »
Saint Berdoodles make me want to gag.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 12:06:05 pm »
OMG, the best, and by the best, i mean THE WORST, hahaha, There is a guy in our area who breeds EVERYTHING to shihtzus! any small dog, he will buy and breed to it, and sell them for 700-1000$. i was working in my local pet store last year and he came in talking about his new breed the Bull Shit... Well Ok, i was curious... what did u breed to get that? well he says... a bull terrier and a shihtzu... First of all. I have the only bull terriers in town. and i know this for a fact... So he didnt use my bullies... so i questioned where he got his bullie... and the color etc. Hes like, oh well its normally called a boston bull terrier... WHAT IS THAT? He totally meant a boston terrier. Like, he doesnt even know his breeds! aaahhhhh! i was so mad.
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 03:42:59 pm »
GRRR that makes me so mad, we have one of those pets stores in my area. I refuse to go in there.. anyway they sell their dogs for $1200-$1500! That is were we rescued Cali from. We know a girl that works there and she rescues the ones that are going to be pts. She also talks people out of buying the puppies.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 03:57:34 pm »
I made the mistake of opening up the Penny Saver to the pet section yesterday and saw much of the same.  It makes me sad and angry to know that many of those same dogs will become yard dwellers, pop out a couple litters, and then be dumped at the shelter.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 03:58:46 pm by The Brindle Pack »

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 11:41:39 pm »
IMO the cute designer names attached to the mixes help to perpetuate this trend. I don't think people would actively seek out a pug/beagle cross but a puggle well that's just cute. Don't get me wrong if it occured accidently there is nothing wrong with mixes at all but chances are the people producing puggles don't care about genetics and lineages. The Bull Shit dog -- the irony of it not being BT and the name being BS is killing me ;)

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 12:04:05 pm »
Interesting and an eye opener for the "not so informed" buyer. So, I thought I'd share this quiz,!!  More people need to take this before wasting $$ on designer dogs (aka mutts).

I got 100% picking the designer vs. shelter dogs. 

http://www.grumpybumpers.com/dogs/
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 05:07:57 pm »
In Bella's obedience I class, there were THREE Golden Doodles in the class.  THREE! Out of like 10 dogs total.  It was the first time I had ever seen one before. In obedience II, which we never finished, there were a couple of the doodles again (but I can't remember what kind).

"Doodles" are apparently pretty popular in CO. I completely agree with Phelan's Mom. It is the cutesy name that sells the puppy.  The shelter's ought to take a lesson from that and start relabeling all their breed info.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

dohertyswissy

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 09:03:16 am »
Oh My.. I got 28% correct.  Sign me up to be duped.  ;) Seriously, how is anyone supposed to know because they are all mutts!  Trust me, I have nothing against mutts. My first dog ever was a cockapoo, we think, but aren't sure, because we rescued her from the SPCA...as it SHOULD BE.  There are soo many great pets in shelters right now that need help that it burns me up that folks are creating these dogs ON PURPOSE for there own selfish reasons.   >:(

Somehow I feel a rant coming on my blog.....