Author Topic: Anyone Own a Rare Breed Mastiff ?  (Read 37282 times)

Offline DevilDog43

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Anyone Own a Rare Breed Mastiff ?
« on: March 24, 2005, 05:44:14 am »
I love al the mastiff breeds. Does anyone own a rare breed Mastiff??
English Mastiffs are AKC, as are Bullmastiffs too.
There are so many Mastiff breeds, I was amazed when I learned about them all.
I own a Brazilian Mastiff, called a "Fila Brasileiro."
The national dog of Brazil.
Definately a liability to own one of these breeds. "Ultimate personal protection dog." No strangers can enter my home. That is their temperament. But I love her anyway & she has always made me feel safe & sound.And I love all 180lbs of her!!!
I am new to group. Own a dog Training business in NJ area for last 9 years, as full time business. Rettired from showing dogs in AKC & rare breed shows in 2000. Of course, they were Mastiffs!!!!!
Happy Easter to all!

Devildog43

Offline BKCheeze

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Own a Rare Breed Mastiff ?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 12:14:54 pm »
I have a Fila too!  Her name is Galiana and is 1.5 years old.  She is all black with a white diamond on her chest.  She is on the small side at about 95 lbs.  She has a great temperment, is ok with lots of people just a little leary of strangers.  We are located in Cincinnati, OH.  Where are you at?  Glad to hear from another owner, seems to be very few out there.  Your pic seems to be broke, hope mine works...

Offline DevilDog43

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 01:38:51 pm »
Hi Erin
Nice dog you have. Yes, very few Fila owners are out there. The breeed is definately NOT for everyone. I do not know how much you know about them as a breed. But They are not suppossed to accept strangers at all. Once they reach their temperament (which varies with each indiviual dog), it is called ,"OJERICA", which means "wary of strangers." The police in Brazil take these dogs on patrol with them, as bodyguards. "FILA" means to "HOLD." I have seen some who accept No one else but their owners to even touch them. And some who have a softer temperament, & will allow some strangers to approach them. They are also only one of two breeds in the world of dog shows, that is a "hands off" to judges. They do not approach them or touch them in the show ring.My dog does not allow strangers in my home at all. Not a doggie for the "social butterfly type of owner." Great to meet you!! My girl is brindle.
Thanks for the reply!!
Donna

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 04:59:30 pm »
Hi I own an "American Mastiff" and they are not very prevalent. essentially they are 7/8 English Mastiff and 1/8 Anatolian Shephard. They look like somewhat leaner OEM's. You can check out a picture from a month ago in the section American Mastiff (he is Goliath).

Matthew

Offline DevilDog43

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 07:55:29 pm »
Hi Matthew
I have never heard of an American Mastiff. I do know the Anatolian Shepherds though. Is this breed a new Rare breed or just a breed that is new & trying to be introduced into ARBA or UKC ?
What is your dog's temperament like?? That of the OEM or the Anatolian Shepherd? Interesting mix of breeds.
Donna

Offline Rsulliv1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 10:11:38 pm »
  I have a Presa and Boerboel mix. Great dog. Gets along great with strangers after being introduced, and it seems that he has a good memory for people.[tr][/tr]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 10:14:36 pm by Rsulliv1 »

Offline bbbaby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 09:28:43 am »
Hi There!! Just logged in and find this an interesting site!!  Hope it stays that way, too many sites/boards/chat areas are "doing the tango dance" on each other. I have at this time, five large sets of paws running my household. There are two dobermans, both females, one is an"old lady" and the other is a "breeder" (health tested, shown, from very good European lines, etc.) that is 2 1/2, and has had one litter. Maybe more in the future, we shall see. I have 3 South African Boerboels, one is a brindle 3yo female, looks just like the presa/boerboel mix above!!! I have a spoiled 2 yo, and a 10 month old male, both "yellow with black masking". I am waiting for my next female in about 2 1/2 months she will come over from South Africa, as the rest have. I enjoy them alot, but the size and strength they have is enormous. I used to also have Dogue de Bordeauxs, they run about the same in weight, but no where near each other in strength. Hands down, the boerboels are strong. Well, at least the neighbors are good about my dogs, they haven't complained, and we keep good tabs with them so they don't bother the neighbors. I do not like to let my dogs bother anyone else. But don't knock on the door- :D -they are loud barkers!!! Let's hear stories about large breeds and the funny things they do, because of their size-Britt

Offline Fldroolers

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 04:59:16 am »

Hi Everone,
I have 3 Filas (2 females and a male) all 3 are rescues that when I pulled out of the shelter  they were all around  90 lbs.  2 had mange. one of them so severe we are still after 7 months trying to get his  hair back. we have them at around 130 average right now and slowly gaining.
My babys were confiscated out of a drug bust.
all 3 have differet social personalities. the male loves everyone. One of the females likes almost everyone we have over. the other female we usually put in our bedroom when company is over. (she does have a select few that she likes, that is once she knows them).
We have a process when anyone comes into our house though before we introduce them to anyone . They are definately all love bugs with my family..
MY husband actually bought a second full sized matching bed for our bedroom as our king was not big enough for 5 of us.
ITs nice to meet other Fila owners.
Sandy
Ps my Filas names are Hope, Faith And Courage

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 09:57:15 am »
Goliath is an American Mastiff from FlyingWFarms in Piketon OH. American Mastiffs are registered with the CKC. Every one I have met has a personality very like an OEM and a somewhat leaner body like the anatolian. I have been SUPER happy with him and would recammend the breed to anyone with the time to care for them .... Goliath is very good inside (even at 5 months he is sedate indoors) and great with my 3 yr old son (goliath weighs twice a much as him but will sit and wait for his food without complaint and does exactly as he is told no matter who tells him what to do). Make NO mistake these are HUGE dogs (Goliath's sire was Brego -280 lbs and his dam was Gail - about 190 lbs).

Check out my breeders website if you like http://www.flyingwfarms.com

Matthew

Offline msbrookins

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 11:20:05 am »
Hello.

I"m new to the board, but I have a male Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff). He's from Italy out of a breeder called Morgan Cane Corso. I would say that he's the lighter breed of the Mastiff's, but can still grow to be pretty large-Sire was 130lbs, Dam was 120lbs.
Maximus is a wonderful 2 year old that snores me right out of the room. He's the second one that I've owned and an absolute joy in my life!

courtney brookins

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 11:32:58 am »
I love the very dark brindle coat!

Matthew

Offline msbrookins

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 11:38:52 am »
Thank you. Max likes to keep a athletic build to him, but I'm winning the war of the weight and he's actually put on about 10 wonderful pounds now. His father was a blonde and mother was a black. Max and his brother are the only littermates here in the US.
courtney brookins

Offline Filamomma

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 04:30:34 pm »
I am proudly OWNED by a fila and soon to be joined by another one. My fila is a red fawn and is 125 pounds and is 14 months old, his name is Falcon, and yes---Hi, Donna its Amanda, lol

This breed is awesome! Glad to know their are others out there. And just to let the other fila owners now there is a Fila Nationals in Charlotte in November I think???Will get more info or maybe Donna can straighten me out....lol

Take care and give hugs to all your filas (I can't I will get bite, lol)

Amanda

Offline DevilDog43

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 05:09:29 am »
Hi Amanada
Great dogs, aren't they?
I do not keep track of the Fila competitions anymore. I retired from the show ring & handling about 3 years ago. Just do not have the time to travel.
If you go, it is really cool to see other Fila's. So many wide opinions of how their temperaments should or should not be. Always a Hot Topic of conversation among the Fila show people. ha ha
I do know the judges have changed their views on having them being "a hands on" dog in the show ring now. Where a few years ago, they were on of only two breeds worldwide that were "HANDS OFF" even by judges. Only their handlers could touch & show them to the judges. So looks like the show world is leaning towards making them a bit softer in attitude. LOL Again, this causes allot of debate among some serious show owners. But have fun there.
Donna

Offline DevilDog43

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 05:15:36 am »
I Love the names you gave to your dogs. How great you rescued them all. They certainly look loved & happy now. As for the mange problem, please be aware that mange breaks down the immune system in dogs as they get older & causes severe health problems, as they age. Try using NUPRO POWDER on food, & keep givng them the perscription baths they need. It always seems to stay in any dogs system for life & it affects their immune system. Best of luck
Donna