Author Topic: Potty and Kennel Training  (Read 2617 times)

ZenRabbit

Potty and Kennel Training
« on: February 12, 2007, 12:49:11 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Ok having a couple of minor problems with Trip our new saint bernard puppy. We haven't had a puppy in a long time and with our Fila we were spoiled because she potty trained in about half an hour. She had one accident we told her no and put her outside and she never had another accident in the house.

The first problem with trip is that he pee's every 5 minutes. I only put water down at certain parts of the day so i can time when he last drank with when he has to go out to go potty. However as soon as there is anything in his bladder at all he pee's even if it's only a couple of drops. This means he is going potty every 5 minutes.

The next part is kennel training. I am a firm believer in kennel training however Trip has no problems with peeing inside of his kennel. I think that might have been because he had to pee in his kennel on the trip which was 12hrs.

So since he will pee in his kennel it makes it hard  to use that as a tool for potty training.

Also right now he is only in his own kennel during the day when we are all awake. At night he is sharing my fila's kennel. Normally i would not do that however when in his own kennel he howls... i know eventually he will get over that but at night i have a 2.5yr old and a 5mo old (human kidlets) and it is important that i do not wake them up in the middle of the night.

Any advice on the peeing every 5 minutes and how to get him to stop peeing in his kennel would be appreciated.

~Beth

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Potty and Kennel Training
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 01:39:01 pm »
WHen I brought home my Saint Puppy Bella she did the same thing. I thought it was just the stress of adjustment at first, but after a few days, I took her to the vet and it turned out she had a bladder/Urinary tract infection. The infection was what was causing her to pee constantly.  The vet todl me that the stress of rehoming often causes them.  She also peed in her crate whenever she saw me coming (just happy and anxious about being free I think). After a month she stopped doing this; it was just time that fixed most of that for me and Bella. I would definitely recommend taking Trip in to make sure he doesn't have an infection (although I don't know if boys are as prone to this as girls).

Good luck!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 04:54:55 pm »
Welcome!  I am mom to 7 1/2 month Newfoundland pup, Lucy!

I know that when we first got Lucy and were trying to figure out the whole potty training/kennel training thing we had her kennel too big for her and she'd pee in it a lot but once we made it smaller - she had enough room to lay down and turn around that that's it - she didn't pee in there again.  So, try making it just small enough for your pup and see if that helps.

Good luck!

Oh, and can we see some pictures of your little one? please please

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 09:44:30 pm »

I'd get him to the vet asap if he were mine.  That sounds more like a urinary tract problem than a behavioral problem.  The last thing dogs want to do is pee where they live/sleep.  It is common only if you put a puppy in a crate that is too big where they can pee at one end and not "live" in it.  If the crate is sized properly for training however, and they are peeing - then I would be concerned about a medical reason.  And since you further said he isn't really "peeing" per se, but rather it sounds like he is leaking....thi s is also a medical problem.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

ZenRabbit

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 12:09:44 pm »
Hi Everyone,

i followed advice and got him into the vets office this morning. He had blood in his urine so UTI it is. He's on meds for it now and it should clear up in a few days :D thanks for letting me know i should hit his fluffy butt in there!

~Beth