Author Topic: Nala's Picture is finally here!!  (Read 10426 times)

Offline Keynala

• Gnawer
  • Flopps
    • View Profile
Nala's Picture is finally here!!
« on: July 08, 2005, 07:50:04 am »
Well, I finally got a picture of Nala on here for everyone to see here little butt.  I had her ears cropped and she is stubborn and chooses to flop them.  She can hold them up but is a little booger.  Nala had her first day at obedience class.  She did really good and I was proud of her.  It is going to take a while before she feels comfortable to go say hi to people.  I learned alot though, it was a good idea to take her.  Thanks to everyone who encouraged me, I appreciate it.
Kel

lins_saving_grace

Re: Nala's Picture is finally here!!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 08:22:49 am »
Such a pretty puppy!!!! 

osirisdobermans

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 09:40:55 pm »
Cute, little girl love the name!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 10:11:37 pm »
Nala is lovely! Nice to see her in color.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 11:11:23 pm »
She's so pretty!..I LOVE the floppy ears!!...It gives her character! :)  How old is she now?

Offline Keynala

• Gnawer
  • Flopps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 10:04:20 am »
Nala will be 5 months on the 17th of this month.  I sometimes want my little peanut back.  She was so tiny when I got her, I kind of miss it.  I used to be able to hold her in one arm.  Now, I can barely hold her for 5 minutes.

Kel

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 01:39:26 pm »
Wow beautiful little girl. I want to put dixie in obiedance classes soon too she goes in september to get her second shots and then we can go how much did you pay. Its 100 here at pedsmart. Everyone told me I was crazy because i have to drive 45 min to classes for six weeks.
Boxer slobbers from Dixie and Brutis

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 01:50:24 pm »
$100 for 6 weeks or $100 a visit?

Offline Keynala

• Gnawer
  • Flopps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 11:15:03 am »
I called a the Illinois doberman resucue and they gave me the number to lady who lives in my city.  She charged me $25 for a half hour and it would have been 50 for an hour.  She really knew what she was talking about.  I'm not so sure that petsmart knows all too much about it.  What I found out was that when a dog yawns that means that they are stressed.....I never knew that and I don't know many people that do.  She does obedience and agility training.  She has given me some really good pointers as to how to get Nala to go by people.  It's not the dog that you are training it's yourself.  You have to learn their "signals" as to when they have had enough.  It was really good.
Kel

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 11:22:48 am »
Did you know when your dog is in a state of heightened emotion and they shake their head or whole body, that they are trying to calm themselves down.

I tell Rocco to shake it off when he gets too excited to see my Dad.  He will then take a minute to literally shake it off and proceed to greet my Dad with a little more control over his excitement.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 11:29:37 am »
That's interesting.  My dogs shake it off all morning and night.  I really need to go to obedience school as soon as Grace gets fixed and healed.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 01:29:42 pm »
What I found out was that when a dog yawns that means that they are stressed.....I never knew that and I don't know many people that do.  She does obedience and agility training.  She has given me some really good pointers as to how to get Nala to go by people.  It's not the dog that you are training it's yourself.  You have to learn their "signals" as to when they have had enough.  It was really good.
Yup, my understanding of it is that yawning is a "calming signal" for a dog, basically something that they do to try to calm themselves down when stressed.  Other things that they might do are lick their lips or sniff the ground.  

So, you can often use these signals right back at your dog to help encourage them to calm down.  If your dog is in a stressful situation - let's say that Ranger is nervous about a dog walking by him, I can scatter some treats on the ground.  As he sniffs around for the treats, not only is he getting a yummy snack which creates a positive association with the presence of the other dog, the actual act of sniffing is inherently calming to him.  I can also help out by sending him signals such as turning my head to the side and yawning while he is watching me (showing that I am calming myself and there is nothing to be upset about) or licking my lips (same thing).  

Dogs are also very clued into subtle things that we might not even notice like our breathing.  If I am tensed up and stressed and breathing very shallowly and rapidly, Ranger will clue in on that and often act accordingly.  If I take a few deep breaths and give him a smile and a yawn, I am sending a whole different message...

Isn't doggy communication fascinating?  There are several good books about this stuff out there...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 05:19:47 pm »
Nala is beautiful, I am having a hard time keeping Ace away from the computer( he wants a girlfriend), he is drooling everywhere.... .LOL, she is truly a beauty.

Offline Andrea

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • My webshots photos
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 01:25:28 pm »
How long did you post her ears after they were cropped? I would think they need to be posted longer if they don't stand. I am certainly not an expert though, my rescue dobe has natural ears.

Andrea
Everwind Farm
St Agatha ON
http://www.dogster.com/?40813
http://community.webshots.com/user/arleah
Andrea
Everwind Farm
St Agatha Ontario Canada
http://www.dogster.com/?40813