Author Topic: I can't take anymore!  (Read 7593 times)

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
I can't take anymore!
« on: July 08, 2005, 11:33:17 am »
Cooper was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia in March or April.  We just completed the second of his hip surgeries last Thurs.  It has been an exhausting and emotionally draining process.  But now he is having urination problems.  He seems to be trying to pee but only dribbles are coming out with an occasional squirt.  He tries to go outside but as I said not much comes out, which means he still has to go once back in the house.  Up til Tues he was peeing while laying down b/c he couldn't really get up.  That was awful cause we were having to clean him and do laundry constantly. He's now stronger and more mobile and gets up every little while to dribble on the pads we have down on the floor. (we aren't suppose to take him out more than 4 tmes a day b/c he's suppose to be resting and confined).  Of course the vet that did the surgery is out of town til the 19th.  I consulted with the other surgeon in the office early in the week who said it could be the fentanyl patches or codeine and to call her later this week.  He's off those meds now but he's still having the same problem.  I've done some research on the web and there is some mention of urethra damage being a rare complication of this surgery.  I just left her a message to say that it is still a problem and asking specifically if this could be the issue.  I can't take it if is.  I don't know if it is even fixable but am sure it would require another surgery.  We have to keep him confined for 8 weeks as it is!
Maggie

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Re: I can't take anymore!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 12:06:54 pm »
I hope you find out soon what is bothering your poor boy.  I also hope that it is not as serious to require another surgery.  Best wishes! 
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

nickerbokker

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 01:03:30 pm »
you are SUCH a great parent!  i cannot imagine doing what you are doing.....alth ough angus is severly displastic also and i do not know if it will turn around or not.

you MUST keep fighting, no matter how bad it gets......beca use in the end, it will all be worth it!

you are SOOO strong, as is your baby, and you have all of my thoughts and prayers!  keep fighting, and we will all be here to listen to venting and crying and cursing! 

all our love,
nicki dakota and wangus

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 01:09:32 pm »
Thanks sooooo much for the support.  I seriously feel like crying.  The other surgeon hasn't returned my call yet and I'm getting paranoid that it is cause it a complication from the surgery and she doesn't want to tell me the other surgeon messed up. We couldn't afford the first surgery-if it needs another one they better not charge us!
By the way, do those belly bands really work?
Maggie

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 01:18:12 pm »
I am really sorry for all you and cooper have to go through. Buffy my golden mix who is a rescue, when we got her and she had been hit by car, she had to be on steroids for a long time, and did the same, she peed herself, we put out puppy pads all over the floor, that kept her from getting soaked when peeing, but you could tell how badly she felt when she saw us lifting her up with the towels under her belly and changing, she knew she had peed and hated it.

I hope you dont have to deal with another surg. But think positive, even if there should be a damaged urethra, I know they have drugs (not saying that is going to be a sure thing for him, but dont think surg. straight away) the drugs are known as alpha agonists, and they stimulate the neuromuscular receptors of the urethral muscles. But it is not uncommon with temp. incont. after surg.  But since he seems not to be able to go, it sounds like a uti and that can be sooooo painful, I cant believe that the vet. didnt want to do a test on him to make sure that is not what it is, that is rather easy to fix and would help you and him so much right now.

Be strong, you are doing great and when you want to tear you hair off, go sit with him and look at that sweet face and youll realize it is all worth it. Let us know how things go and I will be thinking of you and send some good pee thoughts your way.

huggs

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 01:25:42 pm »
When things aren't right with our fur babies then nothing is right!!...I feel you!...I hope he has something that only require an easy fix after all he's already been through!...I will certainly send some prayers & good energy!

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 08:22:34 pm »
 I hope everything works itself out and everything is back to normal soon.  I know how hard all this can be, as our fur babies mean the world to us. I am sending good vibes your way. :)
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 02:19:40 pm »
I am so happy to hear about Cooper's progress. Congratulation s MaggieB. Before you know it your baby boy will be bouncing all over the house again!  :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline lburrell

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 02:53:10 pm »
I just jumped in on this thread but want to say how glad I am for both you and Cooper.  It is one thing to have an immobile dog, but to add incontinence on top of that...wow you had a tough couple weeks.

I also wanted to say Cooper is gorgeous!  What a handsome (and lucky) boy!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 02:53:22 pm »
Ohhhhh I am so happy to hear that Cooper is doing better. you must feel sooo relieved. Now when you have one less thing to worry about, I am sure it will be a lot easier,  not saying that you dont have a enough to deal with, but hey..... one thing less doesnt hurt.

Please keep us updated on how he is progressing and give him big slobbers from me

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 02:57:33 pm »
That's always good to hear

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 03:00:52 pm »
Good news for you and Cooper.  Now you can have that glass of Kahula but don't get it around me.  I love that stuff soooooo much that the whole bottle will be gone.  :-X

Peggy
Peggy

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 12:50:42 pm »
Oh, Maggie, I'm so happy that Cooper is doing better!  That surgery is absolutely awful for both the dog and the person who loves him!  We did a total hip replacement on our first Newf, Otis and I completely understand what you've gone through!  The good news is when you see him finally be able to get up on his own and actually be able to move about with limping or whining and then, eventually see him actually play like other dogs!  Otis was great within 3 months of the surgery!  We hiked in the mountains, he swam, played with other dogs and the bond between the two of us was incredible!  I think he remembered my being there through the pain and disorientation of all the pain killers.  There couldn't have been a closer bond between person and dog!!!

Congrats on making it through!

Offline Lydia

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 02:53:23 pm »
do you belong to the Newfoundland Club of America? I've grown up with Newfs- we've always had 1 and at times 4 (besides the other dogs and cats- people treat us like the Bide a wee and drop off stray animals!).
The people that belong to the NCA are all knowledgeable and of course well aquainted with any and all kinds of Newfie problems.
Here's the website and good luck with Cooper- glad he is better.
http://www.newfdogclub.org/
Lydia
ps- Newfs rule! ;-)