Author Topic: Advice, please  (Read 3776 times)

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Advice, please
« on: February 19, 2007, 11:15:12 am »
Hi all,
Haven't been around a lot lately - too much going on at home and at work, I'm afraid. :P  But I have a problem with my Saints that is getting worse. When I have them outside together, they pack against me and don't respond to command. The real manifestation of this is they charge dogs and sometimes people walking by the house - even across the street. :-\

Some history... adopted Nakita (female, now 10) and Bear (male, now 4) three years ago from SPCA. They were a breeding pair forced to surrender because the owner had too many dogs and ill-equipped conditions. We were told they were good with other dogs, but since the first day we brought them home that hasn't been the case.  No tolerance what-so-ever. I've done a lot of obedience training by myself with these guys and can/will certainly do more. We practice NILIF 24/7, to great success, but nothing I've done has touched this issue.

With a lot of work, Nakita can now meet and even go off-leash with other dogs as long as she's not with Bear.  And although Bear has only been able to meet puppies (just two in three years), he is much more easily controlled when he's not with Nakita. Together? Forget it! Any ideas?

This morning I got dragged/slid all the way down my driveway when a guy walked by with an Akita. Scary. :o Granted, Bear didn't have his prong collar on, but in these situations it doesn't help. When I finally got their attention (with a yank that took my entire body to accomplish and a shouted "NO - NOT LIKE THAT!"), they acted as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened and were their usual charming selves when back in the house.  :P  Help!
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Advice, please
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 11:46:31 am »
have you tried the halti leads to help control them?  it works great to keep them from pulling.  i can walk all my dogs at once with NO problems (even with other dogs around) when we use them, when we don't use them i have a hard time walking just two of them.  that would help with when you go out in public.  as for your yard...  i'm not really sure.  do you do basic obedience a lot?  maybe a trainer coming out to your house would be a good idea.  it sounds like you've lost your alpha status.  just a thought.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Advice, please
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 10:34:37 am »
If the prong collar isn't helping, I would make sure that it is sized correctly and you are using it properly. Also, I would call in a trainer, since it is really a safety issue for both you and the dogs if they are pulling you on walks and can pull you into danger (trust me I know, zoey is pretty strong too ;) )
RIP former BPO