Author Topic: Molson is a BRAT!!!  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Becki67

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Molson is a BRAT!!!
« on: February 19, 2007, 03:06:39 pm »
My Molson is 9 months old and 110 lbs.  He's rotten to the core.  He's a biter, a barker and he tears everything up.  I know that I've lost his respect somehow because he doesn't listen to a word I say.  He jumps up on people, he's knocked teeth out, he bites my hands and my butt all the time if I try to walk away from him. 

Is it too late to gain control of him?  When is the mellow Newfie coming back? 

But, I love him to death and he knows it.  Do you think dogs take advantage of people the way that some people do?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Molson is a BRAT!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 05:14:35 pm »
i agree, it's NEVER too late to change a dog's bad behavior.  and yes, dogs will take advantage of someone who they know they can bully.  hubby still gets pushed around by axle sometimes, but it can be overcome, just become alpha again!  i've heard a lot of good stuff about NILIF program.  obedience is a BIG helper.  good luck, keep us updated!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 05:49:58 pm »
Welcome to the fun of newfy adolescence.  All I can say is it WILL get better with time and training.  Kali still barks at us all the time but the other adolescent antics such as forgetting her name and playbiting are alot better.  NILF is a great method (we found it hard to practice with big brown newfy eyes though). Also you really need to make sure he's getting the exercise he needs.  Once we made sure Kali was getting both physical and mental excercise she started doing a lot better you just have to be careful with their joints.  Kali is a soccer addict which works well for us and we also do some agility (but it's best to wait until their joints are stronger before you pursue it at a fast pace with alot of jumping).  Obedience helps alot with the mental and teaches more respect and commands.  Don't expect alot at first but once your commands are a bit stronger he'll listen more. 

As for jumping on people
Keep him on a leash when people come over so he can't jump.  Wait until he's settled down to introduce the new people keep him at least 5-10ft away so the temptation isn't huge at first.  Have people ignore him until he settles.  Eventually the obedience will make it easier so you can put him in a sit or down stay and eventually the excitement level will decrease as he realizes he only gets to see people if he calms down. 

For the biting I've heard spray bottles with lemon juice work sometimes (spray him in the mouth) or shaker cans(a water bottle with noodles or rocks). 

Good Luck and you'll have to post some more pics.  Look for the thread on newfy adolescence it should give you more ideas and will let you know you aren't alone.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Becki67

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:24:32 pm »
Thanks for the great advice.  I bought him tons of new toys and am trying to spend a lot of time with him tonight.  I've made him sit each time he wants something and ITS WORKING!  If he starts barking at me I ignore him or tell him to sit and he does it.  I love that dog so much but he's definitely trying to pull rank on me...I can tell.

Here's another pic of him...he goes nuts in the snow. 

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 06:32:42 pm »
hang in there!  axle was a complete terror when he was 9 months old!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Becki

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 12:23:15 pm »
Okay, lets start at the beginning since everyone wants to see pictures....

Here's a picture of the first time I picked him up and fell in love with him....who knew that sweet little baby would turn into the teenager from h*ll! 

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 03:32:42 pm »
Hi there!  I have an 8 month old newfie puppy, Lucy, that started being a total brat last week. She's entering her teenage stage and started to challenge my authority.  I knew I needed to nip in quickly and regain control so I talked to a trainer that gave me some great advice and we will be starting private classes in March.  But basically it was the same stuff as has already been said - make her work for what she wants - sit before food, sit before attention, sit before leaving her crate etc.  Some of it I was already doing but now I'm doing it even more.  I'm putting her in extended downstays and not just petting her everytime I see her.  So far it's been working really great.  As for the biting, she was never very "mouthy" but whenever she did put mouth on me, I'd yipe really loudly so she knew she was "hurting" me (even if it didn't hurt).  She would immediately take her mouth of me and look away.  So maybe you could try that?

Oh, and the exercise that has been mentioned is huge too.  When Lucy hasn't had her regular exercise she's such a pain in the tookus!  Drives me nuts. 

SOrry this is so long, I just wanted you to know you aren't alone with a teen newfie in the house! I hope you get your mellow newfie boy back soon!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 03:45:02 pm »
First, welcome to BPO!  This is a great site and I can pretty much guarantee that anything you encounter, someone around here has been there!  I'm Heather, Mom to a 2 year old Greater Swiss Mountain Dog named Ranger.

Lucky me, Ranger is in the full throws of his PIA teenage attitude!  I am a huge fan of NILIF and repetitive obedience training.  It puts Mr. RangerRoo right back in line when he starts feeling his wheaties!  Also, as Tina said, a tired puppy is a happy puppy.  Ranger is a totally different dog when he's been walked vs. when Mom has been a slacker and wants a glass of wine instead.

I promise you, that sweet laid back baby will come back, once he knows who is in charge...which NEWSFLASH Molson, ain't you!

Good Luck!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 07:49:48 am »
We got Rosie when she was 3 years old so we didn't experience her bratty stage. But in general, exhausting your dog with longer walks or extended playtime, is a good way to consume his energy. If nothing else, you'll get a calmer and perhaps more submissive dog.

We watch Cesar, the Dog Whisperer, on TV all the time. He has some good insight on dog behavior and how you can manage your dog.
Rosie - Newfoundland