Author Topic: My adopted "PYR" ?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Big Syl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
My adopted "PYR" ?
« on: February 19, 2007, 10:26:34 pm »
Here is my new adopted dog names Sibelius. I brought him home from the animal shelter because I like him and I don't care what breed he is. But it could be helpful to know now that I'm interested in training/ living with him etc.

Does anyone know what he is. He is big, at a year and a half. He acts like a PYR. He looks like a PYR. He has dual dew claws. But he isn't white. Aren't all PYRS white all over or mostly white?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: My adopted "PYR" ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:08:56 am »
i agree, very beautiful, but looks like a little chowish.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 09:21:26 am »
Great Pyrenees dogs are mostly white, but there are some who have that "biscuit" colored tone. Looks to me like your dog is probably at least half Great Pyrenees. I have a Pyr mix who doesn't even have fluffy hair, but she is definitely a Pyr mix. She has the personality and temperament, 100%. 

If you feel that your dog has the Pyr temperament, you can use that knowledge to your advantage and study up on Pyrs and what it's like to try to train them. ;) I went through the same thing when my Pyr mix started showing serious guarding behaviors.

You have a very beautiful dog there!!! Congratulation s!!! He is very lucky to have been adopted by you. ;D

Here are pics of my Mokey just so you can see that Pyr mixes can look very different from one another. Mokey was born with double dewclaws. :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:23:36 am »
He sure is a pyr. I'm surprised the shelter didn't tell you this. He does not look mixed with anything at all. Have you had him vet checked? The vet will be able confirm his breed. But I can guarentee he is pure pyr. Enjoy the gentle giant.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 10:29:29 am »
You have a Pyr. One of my females is marked very similiar to your pup. And she is a Pyr. Congratulation s and good luck- they are wonderful dogs- I hope that you have a good fence- they wander and can travel quiet quickly. I also would not leave him outside unattended at all until he is totally comfortable with you and if you dont have him microchipped- look into it. I could probably write a paragraph about Pyrs as I am sure some of the other members could as well. Ask all the questions you want- we are happy to have you with us-
I have 4 of the lovely hairy beasts, and 3 danes and a newf mix- Life is good
Paige and the crew

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 02:23:38 pm »
Awww, Sibelius looks like a sweetie and all Pyr to me, too.  I hope that you're still on BPO since this was from February.  If so, please post more pics of your sweet boy!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees