Author Topic: Where do dogs go after they pass?  (Read 10148 times)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Where do dogs go after they pass?
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:03:07 am »
I have never had to deal with a doggie death before and just talking about the future when Rosie might pass gets me teary-eyed.

I assume that when a dog dies, you have to bring them to the vet. Then the vet does something with it. Can you get a dog cremated? Can you take it home and bury it yourself in your yard? Seems like stupid, silly questions, but I just don't know better.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Where do dogs go after they pass?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 11:02:28 am »
Just wanted to add-most cities do not want you to bury an animal on your property. You may want to check out your local ordinances to make sure!

(Of course, we have buried a couple of dogs in the backyard, against city ordinances-shhh!  ;))

Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 11:25:05 am »
i don't want to be a bad news bear, but i know the vet office i worked at, when someone's pet died and they didn't want to take it home with them or make other arrangements, we were forced to put the poor baby in the dumpster behind the place.  we didn't have any other option though, and technically, according to our boss we weren't to tell people what would happen to their "babies" when they passed and were left there.  sadly, there are a good bit of vets offices who are like this, although you do have the occasional great one who will do the right thing!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 11:37:51 am »
Holy cow!  I sure hope those kinds of vet offices are few and far between...that makes me so sad!

Our vet was awesome about discussing our options quite a bit ahead of time when Barkley was sick and we knew we were going to deal with the inevitable.  Jenn has outlined the options she presented to us, and we had time to make the decision that felt right for us.

In the end, we chose cremation.  Our big guy was returned to us in a sealed urn, which still sits in my office beside his picture. 

It's so hard to even think about it, I know ... but being prepared ahead of time really helped me at the time.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:39:41 pm »
we lived in a small town, and it was against city ordinance to bury animals on the property, so law required we got it for those instances, which really upset everyone.  i really hope they are  few and far between, but just wanted to mention that.  i've seen some really great pet cemetery's though that were prettier than most people ones!  i agree, also, that being prepared beforehand helps.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 12:50:15 pm »
It's a hard topic to think about, but we all have to at some point.
When i had Missy put to sleep 2 years ago (and yes i still whimper talking about it) it was snowy and the ground was hard.  2 things kept me from bringing her home to bury her in the yard.  1.) I couldn't dig a hole in the frozen ground and 2.) what if i moved...i would feel bad about leaving her there.
the vet gives you many choices of ways to take care of the remains. you can get the ashes back and buy a special box for keeping them.  you can have the ashes buried in a pet cemetary.  and there were a few other options at my vets' office.  i took this option.  after missy was gone, the vet (while Bee was still in my arms) made a small paw print in this heart shaped clay object.  i took that home, decorated it, cooked it in the oven for 15 minutes, and sat it out to display.  yes i still have it and touch it and talk to it...but it's sweet. 
no dog should ever die.  i believe that firmly.  but when they do i think they go to a special place and wait for us.  when we get there...they jump up, throw tennis balls at us, lick us to death and just tug at us to get us to join them in this heavanly place for people with Big Dogs. :)  There has got to be a special heaven for us Big Dog people.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 12:51:06 pm by lins_saving_grace »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 02:38:53 pm »
when i worked at the vet i was talking about we "disposed" of them (since our town didn't have an AC unit) like we would have if we put a pet down that the owner wanted us to "deal with" after it had passed.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 07:13:33 pm »
I will never be able to move from my property. Tank is buried out under the trees, overlooking the creek and I can see his St Francis statue ( that keeps watch over him) from my bedroom.
At some point we may be faced with immenient domain-and lose our property to some stupid highway that we dont need- I have already made it clear- if that happens- part of the negotiation will be that they have to pay to have Tank relocated with me.
I may at some point also become the crazy urn lady, I think that I already have the distinction of crazy dog lady, and I am very comfortable with that title.

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 07:14:13 am »
This topic just came to mind, since Rosie will be turning 4 in a couple weeks. And I hate to think that she's grown not just a year older, but seven! I can't even imagine her passing. I keep telling my husband we have at least another good 10 years with her, but he's pretty practical and knows that even just 13 years is a good Newf life.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 09:06:20 am »
Although this is a difficult topic to discuss it's important to have an idea of what you want BEFORE the time comes.  In most cases you will have to make the decision on the spot with no real time to think about it.

When we were in Virginia we were able to bury Morgan in the woods behind our house.  They are protected wetlands so we didn't have to worry about his grave being disturbed.  When Bobo passed in November we decided to have him cremated with his ashes returned to us.  We have not decided what to do with those yet.

As for the dogs when the time comes they will be cremated with the ashes returned to us.  We will then spread them in areas that they enjoyed. 

For me I want to remember my babies, as they were running, playing, and full of life.  The best way I can do this is by taking LOTS of pictures.  I made a video when we didn't think Tucker would make it to his first birthday. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqVIlFs7b4k

Maybe not the best place to bring this up but I do feel people should know there is protocol for euthanasia.  Last week a member from the K9 Epi board had to have a dog PTS and experienced a horrific event because the vet did not follow protocol.  In addition to protocol the following site has an assessment to help you decide when the time has come.

http://www.naturescornermagazine.com/help_companions.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 09:09:18 am by The Brindle Pack »

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 09:11:16 am »

http://www.naturescornermagazine.com/help_companions.html

I can't seem to get the above link to work... can someone help.  If not just cut and paste from the "http" to the "html"